Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there really hairless chi's or are they a diff breed just labeled as hairless chi's. I kno that the mexican hairless, papillon, and chinese crest contributed to making the chi. Could it be those contributing genes?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yes and no.

There are breeders (well, "breeders") out there selling hairless chihuahuas, but hairlessness isn't accepted as part of the standard. Whether or not they are full chi depends on your perspective and how many generations you want to go back before you consider a dog "full-blooded". What is mostly being done is coated chihuahuas are being bred to xolos or chinese crested resulting in litters with hairless pups. These are usually sold as "chi-chi's (chinese crested/chihuahuas). One of these pups is then bred to a coated chi, producing another litter with some hairless pups that are 3/4 chihuahua, 1/4 Chinese Crested/Xolo. Pups integrated into the breeding program keep getting bred with chihuahuas until, after a couple generations, you have dogs that structurally look like chihuahuas, but are hairless. Whether or not these are true hairless chihuahuas or mixes... depends on who you ask.

I believe Chinese Crested are used most commonly for the first cross because a) they're a more common breed than xolos and b) hairlessness is a dominant trait in the Chinese Crested, but I think it's a recessive trait in the xolos.

Folks producing hairless chihuahuas, at this point, are not especially reputable breeders, as hairlessness would be a fault to the standard, and I don't think there's really any effort to form a new breed. I'm not aware of any breed club or push to create a standard for hairless chis as you see with new breeds that hope to be recognized by national registries in time (silken windhounds, klee-kais, etc). This seems to be more of a 'hairless pets are becoming trendy, chihuahuas are already trendy, let's put the two together'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts