Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am getting my new baby soon and my breeder recommened as she is soo soo tiny to ask my vet for a half vaccination thats what he has on all his dogs as they are so small i always have thought this is prob a better idea as chis are so tiny and im going to ring and ask my vet or another vets on monday i wondered if anyone has heard of or had this done?

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
When i had the girls boosters done again i questioned the size of the vaccine and the vet said wether its a great Dane or a Chihuahua they have the same amount, seems far too much to me :(

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know and she really is dinky my breeder says his vet gives his chis half and is fine about doing it maybe i will have to ring around different vets

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi!

My vet does this 'half' injection too as he said that Chi pups are far too tiny for the full dose and it is not necessary. He said half does the job perfectly! Another vet I went to had never heard about it... but then they weren't very good anyway and when I 'tested' them with questions about Chi's which I already knew the answers to ( I do this every time!! :D ) they got it wrong! And they didn't know much about such small breeds either!

Good Luck. :)

Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
loubie1736 said:
Hi!

My vet does this 'half' injection too as he said that Chi pups are far too tiny for the full dose and it is not necessary. He said half does the job perfectly! Another vet I went to had never heard about it... but then they weren't very good anyway and when I 'tested' them with questions about Chi's which I already knew the answers to ( I do this every time!! :D ) they got it wrong! And they didn't know much about such small breeds either!

Good Luck. :)

Lucie & Lola :wave:
hiya what area in london are you in or whats the vets called i know its going to be hard to find one that will do it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I am new here and this is my first time responding here. My 3 1/2 month old Chi only weighs 1 1/2 pounds and I was curious about this myself. My regular vet gave her regular doses of all of her vaccinations. What I was curious about was the Frontline Plus and Heartguard Plus treatments. I asked my vet if it is safe to use on her because she is so tiny and he told me to call the companies and ask them before using the products. The same company makes both products and they told me it is safe and I should use full dose for the weights specified on the boxes. It seems a little excesive to me. The Heartguard Plus alone could make an entire meal for her. I didn't use them yet. Has anyone given their Chi's the whole entire dose?

Thanks for your help,
Dee :wave:

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I only give all my Chi's the half dose of the "Frontline". I only use it in the summer also. Same with Vaccinations....only half the dose. I'm thinking about completetly skipping the rabies Vac, because they are rarely outside?

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

·
Registered
374 Posts
sjc said:
I only give all my Chi's the half dose of the "Frontline". I only use it in the summer also. Same with Vaccinations....only half the dose. I'm thinking about completetly skipping the rabies Vac, because they are rarely outside?

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

I'm just curious why you would want to skip the rabies vaccination? I know in the city I live in, there is a by-law stating all animals must have received their rabies vaccinations. Perhaps that may also be required where you live. Also keep in mind that your dog must have the shot to participate in obedience training schools, go to pet stores, and most likely it is required when going to the vet such as to get spayed (I know I had to show proof when I switched to a different vet). I don't know, but it seems like it would be in the pet's best interests.

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well what a stroke of luck the first vets i rang said they will do half a vaccination and that it will be plenty its not to far from me but not my usual vet looks real nice there so once i get ruby i will get her there

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oh that's great news! I was just about to write and tell you my vets name but since you've already found one then that's ok! Take Care and I'm glad you managed to find an agreable vets so quickly.

Love Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
277 Posts
We split our vaccinations also because of their size. We now use a full frontline but when they were younger we used a half dose on each. We do give a full heartguard treatment each month. We are lucky in that we have an excellent vet who specializes in small animals but boy are they expensive!

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i didnt actuly ask the price opps didnt think to does it cost alot then i dont mind though she is so tiny i would hate for anything to harm her my breede says he has lost a few chi pups after the full vaccinations so i wanna keep her safe

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
half vaccine

My pup is under 2lbs and is 12 1/2 wks old and this the second visit was today and they gave him the full dose of heartguard and a full thing of frontline plus. They didnt give me a choice. when he was 9wks I talked them out of both and asked that we skip the frontline because he is indoors and his coat is so fine I would see a flea if it was on him and I asked for a smaller heartworm pill that was for 10lbs and under. So I guess I will let you know if there are any problems. :?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
What ever you do stay away from the lepto vaccine and if a vet goes to give your chi two different shots at one time Stop him/her!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:eek: I only let the vets give her the rabies vaccine alone and than wait 3 weeks for her last vaccines.as for the heartgard plus i give the full amount for small dogs.I have a neighbor that says her vet told her she did not have to treat her with a heartworm preventative thats sounds weird to me cause misquitos can bite inside or outside of the home especially where we live. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
lepto vaccine?

what is the lepto vaccine? Just so I will know what not to let happen??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts