Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my first dog and seems a little weird. Lizzy seems like a happy and healthy little girl. She's around 8 weeks old and supposably 7oz. But don't have a scale sensitive enough. She seems hungry to me. She'll yip and digs at my shorts and if I bend my head down she'll jump and nip at my face. I give her nutrical often just incase she's not eatting which maybe I'll stop and see if it'll make her eat. I usually have to put my finger in her food bowl to get her to at least take a bite of her food. Breeder I got her from says she's on hard food. She struggles with it though. Its purina one small breed but probably not. Puppy. They gave us a ziplock bag of it and I'm mixing a very little nutrisource puppy food with it because nutrisource is all natural and very small bite compared to purina. Purina has soft and hard peices in it which Lizzy tries to eat the soft pieces. She seems to struggle though. Takes her a minute to chew. I try hand feeding her pieces which seemed to work but takes her a lotta back and forth moving from her to take the food. Like she's scared of eatting. I just can't tell if she eats or not yet. Going to maybe try leaving her food dish alone and count her kibble. She has been going potty 1and2 so she's eatting something. Thanks

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Congrats! Cannot wait to see pics of your little one.

I'd definitely take her to be weighed right away. Vet or even a pet store with a vet will have a scale and I took my girls often to be weighed to be certain that they were gaining properly until they reached a weight where I did not need to worry. You may also need to supplement with something like k9 Puppy Gold which is like puppy formula. Here is a link:
Animal Naturals K9 Puppy Gold at PETCO

This is a really critical time for development so her nutrition is VERY important. Here is also a site that you should check when choosing a high quality food for her. She should be on a 5 star food. You can enter your food in the search box or search by 5 star foods for a list. You may also need to supplement with a high quality soft/canned food since she is so young and small.

Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

Hope this helps-I know you want only the best for her!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Has she been to the vet? They can weigh her there and she should go in for a thorough check anyway.

I'm not sure how nutrisource rates on dogfoodanalysis.com or any of the other dog food rating sites but I'm positive it's better than Purina! Can you soften her food with warm water and make a gruel out of it? Or mix it with canned so that it softens up. It's hard for them to eat those hard bits.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Some premium foods have a 'weaning' formula, which is even better than the puppy formulas! Royal Canin is one I can think of. Diffenately get her checked by the vet though. Good luck with her. Sue Davis

1 - 4 of 4 Posts