Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been searching on the net for answers to my questions but can't seem to find them.

I have a tea cup chihuahua who gave birth to a litter of four about 5 weeks ago but one passed a day after being born.

I am left with three. Currently at 5 weeks of age, two of the three are between 500 - 550 grams in weight (17 - 19 ounces). The little one is about 130 grams (4.5 ounces) his weight has been gaining but at a slow rate.

The two big ones have been feeding from mom and I have started the process of weaning the two big ones but am concerned about the small one. I am still hand rearing him and am wondering if he is just genetically smaller or if something else must be wrong and I am thinking he is a micro-chihuahua.

Have been to the vet but have chosen not to listen to him. First time I visited he told me to take them away from mum and hand rear all of them. The nurse told me to let her continue to feed them and with the little one to hand rear him and encourage him to feed from mum. I listened to the nurse (so glad I did). Another vet mentioned his head was big and that he might have some dwarf defect. So I have no idea.

The small one would not take from mum and prefers the milk replacement powder. Is the milk I am feeding him now enough to make him bigger? I am doing 4 - 5 ml (4 cc) every 4 hours. What can I do to make him grow? Should I start weaning him as well? He is not completely steady on his feet.

Another question is if the food I am giving the two bigger puppies good for weaning... dry puppy food soaked in hot water and a bit of canned/tinned puppy food, with some water added, kinda like a a watery spread or pate.

Can someone help me please, I am attached to all of them and don't want to lose the small one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
First of all I'd like to say that I am sorry for the loss of one of the puppies, I know that it isn't easy.

Are you sure that the puppy weighs 4.5oz? I've never heard of such a small puppy at that age, but my experience is very limited.
Was the little one smaller than the others at birth? Or did he just not grow like the others did? Has the vet checked out his heart? I've heard of birth defects that prevent the heart from growing, and the animal failed to thrive due to it.
Is he playing like the others? Or more lethargic? You said that his head is bigger than his body? Has he been checked for Hydrocephalus? Could you post a picture of him next to his littermates? I do have first hand experience with Hydrocephalus, and it is a terrible condition.
At five weeks of age, the puppies should be able to eat (regular puppy food soaked in warm water until soft) and drink from a dish if you show them how to. I would personally keep the small one on formula for as long as you can, he needs all the extra nutrients he can get, but also keep plain water in front of him at all times so that he does not dehydrate. I would also check in with a vet about getting extra supplements for him.

Chihuahuas do not come in different size categories, all chihuahuas are in the toy category.
If I didn't get to everything I do apologize, I'm currently multi-tasking.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I was going to say the same thing, post a pic so we can see if there may be a problem. (Although you will need a vet to confirm, obviously)
He may have a medical condition, or he may just be smaller because he had a low birth weight, was hand reared and is small genetically.
I would definitely encourage him to continue feeding from mum, there is no better food for a growing pup. Offer him some solid food, but he may be a bit behind the others in terms of development, so may not be wanting it yet. I would use a complete raw puppy food, so no fillers or unnecessary ingredients.
Good luck with him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My little one passed this morning. I tried to feed him this morning but did not want to take anything and I took him to vet immediately. Vet said he might not make it and that it seems he had neurological problems and development. I was really upset but I did all I could to keep him going.

Vet said he was so small that he could not give him anything intravenously.

Now I have my two little ones left. I went away from giving them canned food for a bit today and just dry puppy food with warm water and they ate all of it up.

When you saw raw puppy meat, what do you mean? Like raw uncooked mince and give it to them like that?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I am very sorry to read that you lost the pup :(

I am not sure you should keep changing what they eat for a while because they are very young. My girl was 6 weeks when her mama stopped feeding her and so she would eat dry kibble mashed up. When I got her I did not change that for a while. She did grow, but the vet said she should not have been weaned so soon.

Is there a reason you are wanting to wean them off their mama and not let them eat from her a bit longer?

There is no such thing as "teacup" chihuahuas or micro chihuahuas by the way.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I'm sorry he didn't make it, sometimes however hard you try a pup just isn't viable.
Yes, there are raw food diets designed for weaning puppies, which are a finely ground paste of chicken usually, like this one Weaning food - Natural Instinct.
A good quality, grain free, high meat content kibble can be ground and soaked to make a puree, but pure raw meat is my choice for a first food. It is more natural, and very easy for the pups to digest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The mom has been hesitant to feed because I guess they are biting a bit. My vet said they should start weaning, although he said that to me when they were 3 weeks old. I didn't start until they were steady on their feet and also when they were expressing an interest in her food so I started to wean them. I only started a few days ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry he didn't make it, sometimes however hard you try a pup just isn't viable.
Yes, there are raw food diets designed for weaning puppies, which are a finely ground paste of chicken usually, like this one Weaning food - Natural Instinct.
A good quality, grain free, high meat content kibble can be ground and soaked to make a puree, but pure raw meat is my choice for a first food. It is more natural, and very easy for the pups to digest.
Thanks for the link. I will really consider this as it seems really good. Is there a video on their website about raw natural food?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Can you check their tiny little claws? If they are long, the kneading will scratch and hurt mom. This will make her not want to nurse any more. Just an idea. Their are 'weaning' formulas that several co's have. Any of the grain free kibble is usually OK for the babies. NOW food, and FROMM both have tiny little kibble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts