Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The list of dogs to be rescued was down today, so I emailed the lady I had been talking to. Found out a rescue came by and took all the remaining dogs. The last thing they told me that they were under quarantine for 2 weeks and to not come get them, and now they are all rescued? I am happy they are out of there, but sad because I had everything bought and set up for them. And she didnt even email me that the dogs were no longer available.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm glad the dogs got rescued but it's kind of thoughtless of her not to let you know. What if you'd been on the way there?

Well probably this means there are some other dogs out there that are going to need you. I believe things happen for a reason - we just don't know what it is yet. ;)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Wow, I can't believe they didn't notify you! That's just ridiculous. I mean yeah it's great that somebody took them and they can get the help they need; but when they were already spoken for by you that doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I thought the SAME thing. There are dogs who will need you even more. These were simply not those dogs for whatever reason. Perhaps even to the health and well being of the babies you have now.
Know that you will be blessed for your willingness to help them even if the practicality did not work out!
Cannot wait to hear how the story will go. You know when you "just happen" to hear about dogs even closer to you who have issues with which you have great experience...

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey Pam, were you planning on adopting them or temporarily fostering?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was two long haired brindles I was thinking of keeping, but would have probably tried to find homes for the others if they were able to be rehabilitated enough to be safe in a family home.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to the contact person again and found out the rescue that took the dogs was big enough to continue the quarantine and went straight to the owner, that's why the dogs I was going to rescue got swept up, too. I feel a little better this morning. Maybe I should just concetrate on getting a puppy that conforms to standard like I have been wanting and forget about rescuing. The last four times I tried rescuing, it's fell through.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
That is great they are all gone but that really is just stupid for them not to notify you. What if you were just waiting around? I don't like when people don't think of others like that. =( I am happy that they are rescued now. Is this the place in the Ozarks? If so I live hours from there, I emailed these people and was willing to help out but they said they were only going to certain rescue homes? I forgot what the email said now but I thought that was pretty silly when you have a helping hand reaching out when there are sooo many dogs. Oh well at least your heart was in the right place hon, as always *hugs*

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you, Kerri. Yes, it's the Ozarks place. They needed people that were familiar with older unsocialized dogs which is why they were reluctant to place with an unsuspecting family. These were dogs that were 4 to 7 years old, never been handled, never been in a house or around another dog. No guarantee they would ever be safe to place in a home, no clue how they would react to another dog even. She warned me there was a good chance I would be nipped or even bitten, was I prepared for that? I told her I had been nipped and biten before, no problem. I had a huge crate to train each one in as I introduced them to each other, the house and the pack. I think I could have done good by them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
And I'm sure you would've, Pam... I've had a lot of issues fall through when trying to rescue dogs too. Sometimes people just change their minds entirely; other times they give the dog to another person like it was a 'first come first serve' kinda thing. Neither is easy for someone who had their heart set on caring for a specific dog. Rescuing really does take its toll on you emotionally.
While I don't think they were right to not notify you, I agree with the others that another dog(s) out there just needs you even more. I don't know how many times I've taken in a dog that needed a home; only to hear days later of another dog that I COULDN'T take because I didn't have the room. I would keep an eye on your local Craigslist; while you do have to be careful of shady people that's where a lot of people rehome dogs for whatever reason... lots of times they are owners who just want to meet the new person who'll be caring for their dog, rather than surrender their dog to a rescue and never hear from them again.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, Kat. You are right. I was just so motivated and excited that I could help with these dogs that when it fell through, it hurt. But there will be other dogs out there that need me.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Yea Pam I figured they were in bad shape! That's why I was willing to take a few so close. I've taken in fosters from our local shelter that were in bad shape and such. I talked to them about a couple little doggies there. They never asked anything about if I had pets, any info like that. which I thought was a little odd. I am just glad they are rescued though, although I see where you are coming from. I think you're awesome for trying to do this, I wish we both could have had the chance. It is hard for me to foster though because I get so attached I never really "fosterd" I've only taken dogs in that I knew wouldn't be staying long =( Man that is still hard! lol You're a great person Pam! I'm so proud to know people like you! :hello1:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts