Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Chico wears a step-in harness when we take him out to potty. He wears it all day. At night we take if off when he goes in his crate to sleep. I want to get him a collar so he can wear his license tag on it. Is it safe to use a collar to walk him? What does everyone else use: harness or collar?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Why do you make him wear a harness all day? My chi wears a collar for identification purposes only. I always use a harness to walk her. Never use a collar as this can cause damage to their esauphogus.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's very figidy. First we have to catch him and then hook him up. It's easier to just leave it on. LOL

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Jazz has managed to get her lower jaw caught in three separate collars over time, and it's freaked me out so much that I stopped using collars altogether, even though I only put a collar on when I took them out, because that's what their ID tags were attached to.

Other than that, I didn't ever use collars for my dogs. Chihuahuas are pretty fragile as dogs go, and a collar can put pressure on their throat if the leash is attached to it and they pull, and can collapse their trachea.

·
Registered
602 Posts
We bought a kitten collar because Fiddle does the same as Jazz, gets her lower jaw stuck in it.

Kitten/cat collars can come with a "break away" clip. its made so cats dont get stuck on something and sort of.... die there, or accidently hang themselves.

But yes, I walk with a harness. Collar is for Identification only, and I try to leave it on as much as I can.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think leaving a puppia on all day could be a bit uncomfortable after a while?
Honey wears her collar all the time with her ID tag on. She is micro chipped
but you can never be to careful.
I would never ever walk her on a collar, I just dont think its safe.
I always walk her on a puppia :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
roxi wears a collar 24/7 as it has her identity on it ect and i use a harness when i am out. its safer. the one time my mum used a collar on her shitzu another dog attacked her and she coulnt get the dog up like with a harness your pretty safe to pick them up. but my opinion is that a harness it a lot more safe outside but i wouldnt leave it on all day.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use the harness (the buddy belt harness!!), as Ren will just randomly stop when she has to pee or wants to sniff something. I always felt I was going to hurt her when just using the collar.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Mine wear break-a-way kitten collars with their ID tags on them (Mia came to me the other day with Skylar's collar in her mouth! Good to know they apparently work as they're advertised to.) at all times.
I only walk them wearing their harnesses. They only wear their harnesses when we are walking. I too think it sounds uncomfortable to wear a harness all the time.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Yeah i always walk mine on their harnesses, they are the step in kind aswell.
I would take it off though after your walk cause i think that would be uncomfortable to be wearing it all day.
I only put their collars on when we go out for their ID tags too. x

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bosco has a Puppia harness and he LOVES it ... he insists on wearing it all day and even all night. We can only get it off when he takes a bath ... if we don't put it on immediately, he stares at it and paws at it and whines and whimpers until we put it back on. He gets so excited when I have it in my hand to put back on him, it's so cute.

I do give him forced breaks from it that he dislikes totally. He just LOVES being in it. He also has a collar that he wears all of the time for ID purposes.

Kat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts