Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get the little ones used to it?

I got a ferret harness because it was the only thing small enough. I put it on Mojo and he ran screaming and yelping in terror! :(

I'd like to take him for a walk with Squirly but I dont want to make him afraid to go for a walk

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Leave it on him for a while. He will adjust to it. If you take it off now, he will know that all he has to do it cry for you to take it off. If he is good about wearing it, give him praise or a small treat so he associates it with positive things.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Gemma still hates her harness and cowers in fear when I am putting it on her. She is fine when we go outside and start walking, but it's putting it on and wearing it for the first few minutes that scares her. I have no idea why. I have always praised her after letting me put it on. I even gave her treats in the beginning. Just the word "harness" makes her run away and try to hide. At least she's fine with it outside. She was totally terrified of it at first and wouldn't move, but now it's just the first few minutes that she's nervous. I think she forgets that it's on after that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey there, I would give your little chi small food treats of her favourite food most likely chicken or cheese. Treat her for just letting you put the harness on her and at first only put the harness on for lap times cuddles and when playing with her favourite toy. After she becomes a little more relaxed about the harness and this may take a few days I would then try little walks in the harness with lots of praise petting and favourite food treats when she does good hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
How do you get the little ones used to it?

I got a ferret harness because it was the only thing small enough. I put it on Mojo and he ran screaming and yelping in terror! :(

I'd like to take him for a walk with Squirly but I dont want to make him afraid to go for a walk
Oh that was us and now she is a pro! Kalisee is 5 months now. She would run around screaming like we were torturing her. I was shocked. She hated anything on her, even a thin little cat collar she hated with a passion.

I had to force her to wear the harness because there was no way she was going out without something. In the end I made her a vest type harness (pattern found on the internet) which even that took a long time to get on her.

Put it on him for a few minutes only a day and give a ton of praise and treats whenever you show it too him. Let him run around screaming and he will realize he is not being harmed.

It took us about a week or so, but now she will sit still for a few seconds to get it on. Sometimes she runs away (only now as a chase game) but once it is on her shes fine.

The vest type harness was much easier and she could not back out of it like she could the normal harness.

He will learn,,,Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts