Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the topic has been covered before, but I can't find the thread.

Can anyone advise if the puppia harnesses are any good (size wise) for Chi pups?

Radley starts his outdoor adventures next week and I am still struggling to find either a step in harness or padded one that will fit the little man.

He is growing quickly and I know that whatever I buy to fit now isn't going to last too long, but I don't trust or like collars when out with a new puppy, so would rather spend a few extra ££'s to ensure he is safe & secure now, and buy a new one in a few months once he outgrows what ever I get.

Any opinions or help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Try the puppia xs, it has a adjustable strap around the body part.
My girls have the step in but its too big 4 penny, im gunna try her on the xs harness n see if it fits better!
They are really good and much safer than collars, but are that bit more expensive xx

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... I guess the only way to really know is to try it... Just found an xs on amazon for £11 so have ordered that, hopefully it will arrive quite quick and we can give it a bash. Only trouble is it is a pull over one and he is temperamental about having things pulled over his head. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
I have just ordered the £11 one of amazon aswell!!
Yea i no what u mean because Lola doesnt like having things pulled over her head either.. thats why i got her the step in one!
Hopefully Radley wont mind it too much!
You will have to post some pics of him in his 1st puppia!! x

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i will post some when it arrives :) What colour did you go for? We got a purple one :)

Hopefully he will get use to having it pulled over, but once he grows a bit more we should be able to go for a step in harness.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I orderd Penny the pink one! And i got a bid goin on ebay for purple one for Lola! im gunna attempt her with the harness!
Its funny u should say about Radley growling... not so long ago i had to have Lola`s step in altered because it was a bit tight ! so while that was being done i used her old harness, nothing special just a cheapy one! any way when i tryed to get it off her it was impossible!! snarling, growling and snapping when i tryed gettin it over head! it took 2 of us and we eventually had to cut it off her! she was a nightmear!
Hopefully the puppia ones are a bit softer so shouldnt be so uncomfortable comin on and off :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah thats what Radley does, growling, snarling and trying to nip, but not actually getting hold of you. It took 2 of us 20 minutes to put his collar on last Saturday and he is only just starting to let us play around his neck and attach his lead.
I got his other harness over his head yesterday, quite easily....but taking it off was a bit of a battle, but eventually we got it. Again I am hoping he will be better with the puppia, but I am not convinced just yet.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my puppia harness has been dispatched and is on its way to us now. Should be here soon(ish). Shame it has to come all the way from the states as he could do with it ASAP lol. He has grown so much over the weekend that his collar that was too big on Thursday, is now just about the right fit on the last hole, so it wont last much longer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Lol aww Radley ur growing tooo fast!!!
I had a email yesterday saying Pennys was on its way!! how exciting! xx

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He is growing toooooo fast, it is scary to look down at him on my lap now and see how much bigger he is than a few weeks ago. But at least being at the 12 week stage I can roughly work out his adult weight and guesstimate how big he will be. :)
I havent weighed him this week yet, but last monday he was 1.1kg.

·
Registered
768 Posts
They grow too quick dont they!! I remember when mine were pups and they were sleeping all the time.. i wanted to keep waking them up and to not grow!! lol
How heavy do u think Radley will get? Lola is 3.4kg and Penny is only 1.7kg! shes really tiny bless her! xx

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We are guessing based on what we have read, but he will be about 5.5-6lbs or 2.5-2.8kgs. The vet agreed with this last week.

Oh and tell me about it, He sleeps alot and its so hard not to wake him... BUT saying that he is like a grouchy teenage if you disturb him lol. Sadly he always wants to sit on my lap and eventually I need to move him.

·
Registered
768 Posts
think thats a chihuahua thing! mine sleep on my lap, legs and feet all the time when im sat down! i hate moving them but cant be helped!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the bad weather in the states may delay the delivery of the puppias ordered. But I have just found a Rogz Pupz step in, in the garden centre pet shop. Not that Radley will let me put it on him...................YET!!!!
Looks like it will be quite a good fit at its smallest size, so I am confident this can act as a second harness for a few months, it also has its clips in exactly the right place that he can wear his body warmer over the top... bonus! :) :hello1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts