Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Finally today Chico actually fits his collar...i was wondering whether to try the lead (due the aggro i have to go through to put harness on)
I like the way the harness supports but is it also good to use a lead?
:toothy9:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Harness, harness, harness, harness.... Chi's necks are fragile - don't risk it. Have you tried a buddy belt? he can keep it on with no irritation and you can just clip his lead on when you're ready to take him out x

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oooh, no, i havent heard of those....Can i get in UK? :)
At the minute he is using a cat harness hehe, but he goes mad, still coaxing with a treat :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
For an easier time with getting a harness on, look for a "step in" harness. For those, you only put the dog's paws through the openings and then fasten around the back - much easier because nothing goes over the dog's head. Ren is a big squirmer, and I had a terrible time getting a traditional harness on him. Now I use the Susan Lanci Ultrasuede Step-in Harness, but as CheyMUA mentioned, there's the Buddy Belt too, among others. Ren will just wear a collar for ID, but a harness for use with a leash.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Ren looks just as Chico does (almost)
Ren a little bit bigger but he is just over a month older than Chico so thats good advice to hear.
I found it really tough to get a step in one to fit, i wish there was somewhere really good in UK to source Chi stuff....as i am having trouble...

But just purchased the Buddy Belt so be perfect :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh gosh, really?! I wanted a red one, that was more but when for the natural one...Check out ebay :) Have to wait to be shipped from States but shouldnt be too long.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know it's a controversial issue, but I've always used collars and trained not to pull (some never did to start with). I tried harnesses once but they pulled whilst on them. I've found they walk better on collars. My brother has 2 chis and, after 3 years, has switched to collars and their walks are improving.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I agree that buddy belts are the best! I've used puppia step in harnesses and Susan Lanci step in harness but my absolute favorite it the buddy belt! You will be so happy with your purchase!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Toy breeds such as Chis should never wear collars as collars damage the dog's trachea. Even if the dog does not appear to pull, the collar damages the trachea over time. It may take years for the damage to show up but eventually your Chi will be gagging, coughing or wheezing when excited or playing. Tracheal damage causes the dog to suffer and can lead to death.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh gosh, really?! I wanted a red one, that was more but when for the natural one...Check out ebay :) Have to wait to be shipped from States but shouldnt be too long.....
I saw that buddy belt had the canadian stockist on there but it said that you'd will be charged with custom charges, so that put me off :(
lemme know if you do get any charges, if not might order from ebay instead next time lol assuming it's the same sort of seller.
Noah is probably a due size 2 soon ;o

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've used both with Ote, and she "chose" the lead. It really depends on your dog. If he tugs and pulls a lot, then the harness would be the better option because it puts less stress on the neck. If he walks right by your side without jerking, or walks ahead/behind with no tension on the lead, then a lead would be the better option. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
At the min he hates walking at first, then goes mad for it :) and then pulls so think i will stick to harness :)

The seller is... decoliquidations
I realised i got mine a little cheaper as i had a natural coloured one...but only £4 quid cheaper i think :)

-----------------------------------------
Oh and updated this post as The new Buddy Belt arrived today - size 2 - perfect!! :)
Thanks for the brill advice!!!:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts