Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i need help in teaching joey to use her harness, she hates it, when ever i put in on her she starts to shake and goes in her bed and sleeps. i even tried doing it when she is super hyper and she still just goes and sleeps and when i try to show her its for walking her she wouldnt move, she'll just sit there and stare at me. what can i do? i really want her to learn to use it so i could take her for walks in the park instead of keeping her in my bag.

helpppppppppppp

·
Registered
549 Posts
Put the harness on her and leave it on...even if she goes to bed and goes to sleep..she will eventually get used to it...once you give her some time to get used to the harness-probably a week, then you can put the leash on and start training her to the leash..she will probably play dead fish on the end of the lead-either she will lay down and not want to move or she will floop around trying to get it off...make the lesson with the lease short and fun-have plenty of treats-like little tidbits of meat while she is on the lead-it will eventually work, but it takes time... :wave: :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
When I got Dior (she was 1 year old) she had never had a collar or harness on her before. For some reason she is really good about letting me, dress her, put her harness on, or paint her nails. So I guess it just depends on the dog. But I agree with putting the harness on and just letting her wear it around.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
yeah you could leave it a little loose too! I did that w/Kemo's collar and he got used to it real quick! But watch your baby doesnt get caught on something!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i took joey to the park today to try letting her learn to walk on her harness. and well at first the refused to move, but then smelling around the place soon starting walking a bit. i let her walk when she wanted to, then when she saw two girls watching pass with two huge dogs she decided that she wants to walk with them and my princess took off walking like a show dog behind them, i had to hold her back cause if those big doggie saw her behind them they might think its lunch time, but that boosted her confidence and she started walking little by little but stopping to smell everything and everybody that walks by she goes wagging the tail to play with them, and also wondering why the pigeons are running from her when all she wants to do is play with them.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Sounds like Joey will get used to it. With Auggie he chases every dove and can't figure out why he nevers gets to one . The other day he must have stared 5 mins at a chicken on our walk! :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts