Chihuahua People Forum banner

Harness you prefer?

• PUPPIA

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • IPUPPYONE

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • PARK AVENUE

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • OTHER (please note detail in the post!)

Votes: 2 12.5%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was winter when we got the girls (so they were not going outside). I still wanted them to get used to wearing a harness and because I knew that they still had lots to grow, I bought them each a cheap (like $7) harness from petmountain.

Now that we are taking them on walks and they have gotten bigger, I am ready to spend the money to order each of them the best harness I can.

They are currently 3 1/8 pounds and 2 7/8 pounds. I do not need harnesses that will have to fit by adulthood, just something really good for now.

So, what is your vote? Brand? Style? Size?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I think Ipuppyone and Puppia are very very comparable :) park avenue are great for the hot summer months when your doggies aren't too interested in sweating their buns off in the heat.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh, I vote over-the-head with adjustable neck ipuppyone for your girls, size XS :) :) :) :) but they might be a little big. For now, I'd honestly go with Park Avenue as it will be the most comfortable fit for them!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Penny is 3.8lbs and wears a extra small puppia harness and Lola is 5.4lbs and wears a small puppia step in.. she hates anything going over her head so they step in`s are perfect :D

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Ipuppyone and Puppia are very very comparable :) park avenue are great for the hot summer months when your doggies aren't too interested in sweating their buns off in the heat.
Good to know. We will be taking them to many car events over the summer months (my husband is a car/racing guy). I will not take them to any of his events as it is WAY too loud for them but when we are just at local car shows and things, they will go with us of course! It will be warm.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! You have all given me so many to think about. I think that I better get them more than one!! haha!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Lexie & Gia wear the XS step in Puppia. It will fit up to 3.5 lbs. It's tighter on Lexie than it is Gia. But they can walk completely out of the size small. PADH's are awesome! I have about 25 of them, and can't say one bad thing about them. They are custom fit, so no worries about them fitting.

PS~I wanted to add that the bad thing about the XS step in Puppia is that it has such a narrow margin on what size it fits. It will be too big for anything under 3 lbs., and too tight for anything over 3.5 lbs. I use the XS step in for L & G, although I would prefer more "room" in the harness, nothing else works for them besides the PADH's which are custom fit. The small step in Puppia won't start fitting until they hit about 5 lbs. That's why I suggest the XS overhead Puppia. Only problem there is that the XS won't start fitting until they hit about 4 lbs. :/

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The XS overhead Puppia might be a better choice for you, as it fits different than the step in. I can only speak for my pups though, and the XS overhead fits Chance, too big for L & G.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I custom-made one based on the Daisy harness - their slide is metal, mine is made of a piece of nylon strap, sewn so it fits tightly around the adjustment straps. If you can sew, buy inexpensive 6' nylon leashes and matching collars, pirate the hardware and make your own. Seal the cut ends of the nylon by melting them with a candle. My boy is big-boned ;} and most of the vest-style harnesses I tried didn't fit him properly; besides, we live in the Rust Belt and they'd be wet all the time anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The park avenues are really adjustable so you will probably get the best fit with them, and they may even still work for when theyre grown. Theyre such a great price too, you could get them dressy ones with bows and some more every day ones :)
I like the bernie and bessie harnesses a lot. We use those more than anything, but Im not a big puppia fan.
bessieandbarnie.com > accessories >
Here are ours, we have pony print for the boys with blue and red trims, and leopard with lilac for Miley. Miley and Reese wear smalls but an xs actually fits Miley better b/c shes so long and lean, the xs has fit Leo from 2.5 lbs and on, but he does have more fur to fill it out. Theyre soft fur on the outside and breathable mesh on the inside.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that I will measure them tonight and start with the Park Avenue since it gets so hot here. I will get the adjustable so it can grow since they are still growing! Now I am debating how cute they will be in matching ones but complicated to figure out which belongs to which since they are closely sized. Perhaps different colored snaps would do the trick and they could still match!!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If you are "handy" with a sewing machine or even just a needle and thread, it's really easy to make the over-the-head puppia's fit. The problem is the chest strap is wayyy to big for most young pups who haven't developed chests yet. The rest of the harness fits fine, its just the dang chest strap (which is just nylon leash type material) is too big. I simply detach it with a seem ripper next to the buckle, pull it through a bit more to shorten the overall length of the chest strap, trim off the extra nylon leash material, and re-sew the strap to itself. I feel like I should do a tutorial on this ha ha because it doesn't explain well without a few pictures.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are "handy" with a sewing machine or even just a needle and thread, it's really easy to make the over-the-head puppia's fit. The problem is the chest strap is wayyy to big for most young pups who haven't developed chests yet. The rest of the harness fits fine, its just the dang chest strap (which is just nylon leash type material) is too big. I simply detach it with a seem ripper next to the buckle, pull it through a bit more to shorten the overall length of the chest strap, trim off the extra nylon leash material, and re-sew the strap to itself. I feel like I should do a tutorial on this ha ha because it doesn't explain well without a few pictures.
Girl. You lost me at sewing. Really. A friend bought me a button/pin once that says "I don't do crafts". Even with a great youtube video tutorial I would be lost. haha!

...and Ruby has no chest. It is sooooo tiny. It cracks us up.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The XS overhead Puppia will adjust down to a 10 inch chest. But it just doesn't fit "right" before they hit 4 lbs. It will be saggy at the chest. Anyway, just our experience. Good luck with your choice. : )

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The XS overhead Puppia will adjust down to a 10 inch chest. But it just doesn't fit "right" before they hit 4 lbs. It will be saggy at the chest. Anyway, just our experience. Good luck with your choice. : )
Well, perhaps that one will be my next one. My girls will both likely be 4-ish pounds as big girls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts