Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think there is necessarily one best style. The best one for you is one that can easily come on and off, fits your Chi, and is tolerated by them.

Personally, I had trouble with the traditional over-the-head harness, as Ren would wiggle and squirm, and sometimes growl, when I tried to put it on - he'd also try to chew on the harness when he saw it coming towards his head. I have much better luck with the type called "step in" harnesses. You just have to get their front paws through the holes, and then it fastens around the back. He still squirms a bit, but it's easier for me to get it on him. I recently got a Susan Lanci ultrasuede step in harness, and I love it. It's super soft, and very easy to get on. He also doesn't seem to mind having it on, unlike the nylon ones I was using.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I also think it depends on the dog. We have trouble with the kind that pulls over the head because if it's big enough to go over Chloe's head then it's way too big. To get it to fit her body it's really tight pulling her over her head and she gets upset when I try to put it on her. We use the park avenue ones and she just sits still while I put it on her.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I can't find one small enough yet, so I made one. But Biscuit HATES the collars that go over his head. The one I made has velcro at the neck and under his belly and he doesn't seem to mind that so much. I am waiting for him to grow a bit more then I am going to invest in a good lined vest style harness that is lined with fleece or something (like a puppia) to use as a coat in the winter and a step in harness for when he wears his other clothes.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
We have Puppia over the head harness and the vest type.

Personally I like the vest type because Jaxx can just step into it and it comes off so easy. The way Jaxx gets excited with the over the head type and pulls his head out in one big jerk I am sometimes afraid he is going to hurt himself.

I am about to buy another harness for winter because Jaxx is right on the line with the XS but with sweaters and such on this winter he will need a Small.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
My favorite harness is called the buddy belt, it's really adjustable, can go over and under clothes and is made out of really soft leather. I've used puppia, Susan lanci, juicy couture, ect but the buddy belt is by far my absolute favorite!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I use a RC harness (just like the puppia ones) for Pepper and a soy step in harness for Lily. I have the same soy step in for Pepper but it's still big on her. I love them both. The soy one is really soft and flexible, much more comfortable than the nylon ones (so the dogs tell me! lol).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We have the kind you step in,but I think i want to try the ones that look like a little step in vest.I think those are cute.My dachshunds use them more than my chihuahuas

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Sheila, the vests are great, I'm a big fan. You mean these right?

The buddy belts are also a favorite of mine, and they were originally designed
for a Dachshund!(the owner's dog) They are very comfy also, and go nicely
over sweaters.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have a variety of harnesses, including the Park Avenue and the step in type. I have trouble with the vest type for Taz because she has a large rib cage, a narrow chest and a small neck. I use the Choke Free step in harnesses (Ultra Easy ChokeFree & PawRider Pet Seatbelt Adapter (USA)) and the Park Avenue. Also, did any of you guys notice Park Avenue now offers the "petite elite" harness which is only 1/2" wide instead of 3/4"? I just ordered one last night in a fall print. I think the narrower width is more in proportion for the smaller dogs.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sheila, the vests are great, I'm a big fan. You mean these right?

The buddy belts are also a favorite of mine, and they were originally designed
for a Dachshund!(the owner's dog) They are very comfy also, and go nicely
over sweaters.

Yes LS,thats exactly what I mean.these i use,they seem to not fit either of my dachshunds shoulders real good.The step in vest to me looks more comfortable all over.Are the buddy belts (IN YOUR OPINION) sturdy enough for a dachshund ?(they are strong)I would hate to be on a trip and Heaven forbid one possibly get away,not knowing the dangers ahead.Oh and Bellas dress is adorable!!

·
Banned
10,706 Posts
Sheila I can't tell you if the buddy belts are strong enough, because for now only
tiny Bella has this type of harness, and she is very gentle, does not pull.
I will be getting these in the near future for my Basenji boys, they are 22lbs
each, and they are extremely active and put their harnesses through a LOT,
so I'll be able to tell you then. I can tell you one thing though, I am impressed
with how well made the buddy belts are, they seem sturdy. I know they make
them for dogs from under 2 lbs all the way up to 100+....so my guess is they
are very sturdy. I read a lot of reviews on them and apparently a lot of people
whose dogs are usually escape artists can not escape out of these.

Here is their Facebook, you can see different doggies wearing them...
Buddy Belts - Photos | Facebook

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sheila I can't tell you if the buddy belts are strong enough, because for now only
tiny Bella has this type of harness, and she is very gentle, does not pull.
I will be getting these in the near future for my Basenji boys, they are 22lbs
each, and they are extremely active and put their harnesses through a LOT,
so I'll be able to tell you then. I can tell you one thing though, I am impressed
with how well made the buddy belts are, they seem sturdy. I know they make
them for dogs from under 2 lbs all the way up to 100+....so my guess is they
are very sturdy. I read a lot of reviews on them and apparently a lot of people
whose dogs are usually escape artists can not escape out of these.

Here is their Facebook, you can see different doggies wearing them...
Buddy Belts - Photos | Facebook
Thank you and yes please let me know how your bigger ones do

1 - 14 of 14 Posts