Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up Harper this weekend from the breeder! She's 15 weeks and is a tiny 1.5lbs. She's been super playful, hasn't had any accidents inside at all, and is eating GREAT.

She's super tiny so I'm watching out for health issues... been worried about hydrocephalus, even though she has none of the behavioural symptoms. She does have an open molera about the size of the top of my thumb. I don't think she has the "hydro look", but if any of you have any comments on this I'd be open to chatting!

Harper is settling in very nicely and we're so happy to have her :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She's an absolute little doll!! I don't think she looks hydro. But that's hard to tell just by pics. The open molera is perfectly normal. If she shows no signs, please try not to worry. She doesn't have the east/west set eyes that is usually seen in hydro. Her head appears in proportion to her body. She looks like a normal 15 week old Chi to me. Chi's within standard size are becoming less the norm. So it can be "alarming" how tiny they are as pups. Unless your baby starts showing poor health signs, just enjoy your new little Angel. Get a scale. Food scale or postal scale. Make sure she's gaining every week. If she is gaining, eating, drinking, playing, no awkward signs, I'd say things will be fine. Give a pea size glob of nutrical 3 times a day till she hits 2 lbs. Once in the morning, mid day, and around 11 PM. Make sure she eats 4 small meals a day. This is a must. Congrats on your new precious baby!! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's an absolute little doll!! I don't think she looks hydro. But that's hard to tell just by pics. The open molera is perfectly normal. If she shows no signs, please try not to worry. She doesn't have the east/west set eyes that is usually seen in hydro. Her head appears in proportion to her body. She looks like a normal 15 week old Chi to me. Chi's within standard size are becoming less the norm. So it can be "alarming" how tiny they are as pups. Unless your baby starts showing poor health signs, just enjoy your new little Angel. Get a scale. Food scale or postal scale. Make sure she's gaining every week. If she is gaining, eating, drinking, playing, no awkward signs, I'd say things will be fine. Give a pea size glob of nutrical 3 times a day till she hits 2 lbs. Once in the morning, mid day, and around 11 PM. Make sure she eats 4 small meals a day. This is a must. Congrats on your new precious baby!! :)
Thanks TLI! Great advice and thanks for the info on the hydro, I don't think she looks it either but I will keep my eye on it.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
She is a beautiful baby. I keep a bell on my babies. They are not heavy enough to make noise when they are moving around. Plus, she hasn't learned how to dodge feet. Be sure everyone knows when she is on the floor. Cora was not too fond of the collar at first and the tinkling of the bell threw her off a bit. She is now used to both and I ALWAYS know where she is. I love Harper's name.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Harper is settling in really well - she eats more than Henry and she plays really hard. She loves Bully sticks and running around, especially outside.

I am not so worried about hyrdo anymore - she doesn't have any of the symptoms. I do notice when she eats, she get so excited that she puts most of her weight onto her front legs and her back legs kind of shake a bit, but this is only when she's scarfing down her meal(s). She runs and walks and plays just fine. She is super quick too - it took henry weeks to learn how to go up the steps outside. She did it on the first try. She has zero of the neurological signs of hydro so I need to stop worrying. I think I just get worried that the vet is going to say she has it and tell us to put her down etc etc. I think I'm more scared of the vet than the dogs are.

They are kennelled at night, and when I take them out for a pee at 4am I let them into our bed afterwards. Its their favourite time - they get to snuggle under the covers! Heres some photos from this morning.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Precious!!!

All 4 of mine have open moleras. Youngest is over 4 years old. Almost the entire top of Jade's head is open molera. Gia and Chance's are the size of a quarter. Lexie's is bigger than a nickel. That is very common in the smaller apple heads. Your baby appears fine. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts