Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I really want a playmate for Baby Girl and thought about being a short term foster. Have any of you Fostered before? What were your experiences with it. Do you have any tips or advice. Baby Girl is only 3lbs.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Hello!! I've been fostering Chi's and Chi mixes for a few years now, and don't regret a moment of it! The hardest part is getting attached and letting go; but I tell you it's the most rewarding thing to introduce them to their forever home and knowing that both of their lives are changed forever. My own crew is between 5-7lbs including Chi's and 2 Chinese Cresteds; so the best advice I can offer is to make sure that any dogs you foster are at the very least well socialized unless you have the time to work on that too... since most of the small dogs that end up needing foster care have some type of behavioral issue that led them their to begin with. Even then, if you have the space to give them each their own area and can introduce them slowly you'll still be okay; really it just depends on how much time you have to invest and the level of care or training that they need! I've been fortunate to have some fosters that know every command in the book and are perfectly housebroken; whereas others are former mill dogs and aren't even used to human contact. You really never know what you're going to get, it also depends on who you are fostering through, if you're going through an animal shelter or rescue or if you're doing it independently. If you foster independently you'll have to consider the costs involved of feeding, vetting, etc. whereas if you go through a shelter or rescue agency most costs are covered. Regardless considering how many out there are in desperate need of even short term homes, I definitely support the decision!! =D I wish you the best in your choice and if you ever have questions or want advice don't hesitate to PM me. Been a long summer but we're starting internet up again this weekend so I'll be back on here often. =) Take care!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the advice I am going to slow down and maybe due some other work with the Rescue before I start Fostering I tend to get to attached.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I am an emergency Basset Hound foster since I live farther out than most. Gibbs is my foster failure. In 24 hours I signed the papers to adopt. I have some that are easy to let go and others are harder. My father even tried to talk me in to keeping one LOL. It is easy to get attached and sometimes you do to the point you can not let go (Gibbs) but knowing you are giving a homeless hound a place to lay his or her head until their perfect forever home comes around is very rewarding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts