Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always given my bigger dogs knuckle bones to chew for recreation. Now that I have "downsized" to the Chi's, I had my butcher saw the bone into 4 sections. I am hoping this won't be too harsh on there mouths. Has anyone done this or know if it is a good idea? I love that all 4 can have the bone and marrow this way:) because a whole one is a ridiculous size to offer:(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Are you talking about the marrow bones? The long bones that they sell as soup bones? Like these?

These are weight bearing bones of large animals. These bones are very dense as they are leg bones and made to carry 1000 pounds or more. Because of this, they are often known as 'wreck' bones to raw feeders instead of rec bones because they will crack/break teeth.

Having said that, I do occasionally give them to Brody as he is not a vigorous chewer. A very hard chewer can put a slab fracture in a tooth in a minute on one of those bones. But if you know your dogs and they just like to lay there and gnaw away, they are probably fine. If they really go after it - I'd pass on these types of bones.

I always poke out the white marrow as that is 100% fat and can cause a bout of pancreatitis in a dog not used to eating that.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ugh,,,yes maybe that is the same bone. They are known as soup bones too. Whole it looks like a super large knuckle. It is pretty soft in comparison to other bones (which I have had a slab fracture from:mad:) and when whole not that much marrow is available, so they really have to work for it. Now I just went to my freezer to look and yes, that much marrow is available and would be too much on their little systems...I should have thought of that as I had a sheltie with pancreatitis! :(:( Darn....in the trash they go....back to the bully sticks and flossys

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Are they really vigorous chewers? You could give them a try, poke the marrow out, and let them chew off the meat/sinew and work on them. If they are really chewing HARD then take them away, but Brody gets a good workout on them. It's definitely a case of knowing your dog and also understanding the risks of giving weight bearing bones.

Have you tried lamb breast bones? I get lamb breast at Walmart. It's not expensive. It comes in a big slab and kind of looks like bacon. It has bones that are a great size for chi's and they are edible, somewhere in between a chicken bone and a beef bone. I discard most of the fat and keep the meat for meaty meals and then use the bones for raw meaty bones. Those might work for your crew.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they really vigorous chewers? You could give them a try, poke the marrow out, and let them chew off the meat/sinew and work on them. If they are really chewing HARD then take them away, but Brody gets a good workout on them. It's definitely a case of knowing your dog and also understanding the risks of giving weight bearing bones.

Have you tried lamb breast bones? I get lamb breast at Walmart. It's not expensive. It comes in a big slab and kind of looks like bacon. It has bones that are a great size for chi's and they are edible, somewhere in between a chicken bone and a beef bone. I discard most of the fat and keep the meat for meaty meals and then use the bones for raw meaty bones. Those might work for your crew.
oooh, that sounds great...I have never given lamb in any form. I will be by a Walmart on Friday...great timing (it's an hour away)! I'll take my freezer bag and pick some up on my way home...this will be a fun weekend--lol:hello1:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Here's what the lamb breast looks like ..... I think I paid $7.00 for a big rack of them last time I went to Walmart. It takes awhile to trim them up and cut out the meat/bones but it's worth it. Lamb is a great meat! And it's nice to have bone sources other than just chicken.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts