Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy will be almost 13 weeks old. Has anyone done a really long drive and was it fine? Don't some show breeders take puppies to the dog shows and some travel very far distances to get there? Thanks

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yes. When Toby was about 16 weeks old, a few weeks after I got him, we went from South Florida to central North Carolina, almost to Virginia. It was about 13 hours, total. Toby was trained to behave in his car carrier already. That is my biggest tip... get them comfortable in the car ahead of time. Also, bring a bottle of water and something for him to drink out of. Stop every few hours for a potty break. Make sure they have a comfy blanket and toy and they will be fine- Toby usually sleeps the whole trip.

He has made the trip 3 times now and he is only 10.5 months old.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Ashley. Do you think Toby was ok because he was 16 wks? I've read 16 wks is when they are old enough to go to dog parks etc. I was thinking of asking the breeder if she can get my puppy used to short drives in the car in a carrier. Did you take Toby on short drives around town before the long trip?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Thank you, Ashley. Do you think Toby was ok because he was 16 wks? I've read 16 wks is when they are old enough to go to dog parks etc. I was thinking of asking the breeder if she can get my puppy used to short drives in the car in a carrier. Did you take Toby on short drives around town before the long trip?
If she doesn't have all of her shots, I would be very careful when traveling. Out of the car to go potty, then back in. If she is out besides for potty, she should be in her carrier. This is to protect against Parvo, Distemper, etc. that may not yet be completely protected against. I would also be nervous about hotels and other public places for the same reason. If it were me, I would try to avoid staying in a hotel. Toby had all of his shots.

Yes, Toby started with short trips to the pet store, drive thru, etc. I also frequently traveled a few hours away, so he got used to a bit of longer trips. I would definitely recommend asking the breeder to take her on small trips in a carrier. It will get her used to being in a carrier and to the motions/noise of the car as opposed to just dropping her into a 12 hour drive not knowing what is going on.

As far as feeding, I did not feed him except for his breakfast and dinner. A full stomach can lead to car sickness. I would bring some Nutri-cal to make sure her sugar does not drop in between meals while in the car, especially if she is under 3 lbs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I drove with biscuit who is 9 weeks now from Eastern Kentucky to Chicago (about 8 hours) when he was about 5 weeks. He did just fine. I made sure we had a potty break here and there and a little something to eat and drink. Just be careful where you stop and make sure you have a blanket for The car because the a/c can chill them a little.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow -- I'm surprised a breeder sent a 5 week old to a new home. I am in Chicago too. I read that in IL breeders are not supposed to let pups go to a new home under 8 weeks old. KY must be different. Glad Biscuit was fine though. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our pup had an unexpected 14 hour drive when she was about 4-5 months old. My wife had driven to visit her niece who lives about 2 1/2 hours away and taken Chloe with her. On the way back, they got caught in a traffic backup caused by a fatal accident that included a hazardous material vehicle fire. All the roads in the area were either clogged or shutdown. It took them about 14 hours to get home. Amazingly, the pup held it that long and didn't go until she got home, even though she was given an opportunity to go. I don't know how she did it.

More recently, we've been on 5 hour drives where she's held it the whole time.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Biscuit was not suppose to be so young, I was originally told he was 6 almost 7 weeks and weaned, but when a family member brought him to me from the "breeder" I said there is no way in he** that dog is that old, so off to the vet we went...vet said 4 weeks at best so I have done a few weeks of hand raising and weaning and now onto a raw diet. I did contact the person he came from and for reasons I can kind of understand (home was lost due to lay offs and human kids needing to eat) everyone that was non-human had to go. But thankfully weekly vet checks have proven him to be a healthy boy thank goodness. I don't know what I would do without him now.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I just got back from Vermont (Camp gone to the Dogs in Stowe) and I flew Southwest. They have their own carrier, which I bought last year. Bonnie (5.5 months) got used to the carrier the week before. She slept in it for her naps. Closed up. During the ride to the airport, plus the flight, and the drive to Stowe it was about 9 hours total that she was in the carrier. I did stop several times and let her out, and she did pee. Eating was not done, although I had ZiwiPeak with me. As soon as I got to the hotel/motel she did eat. She did GREAT. Never a peep out of her in the plane, nor in the car. I was so delighted that she wasn't crying etc. Slept the whole time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Regular road trippers here. We take puppies on a road trip usually their first or second weekend with us. I have a new youngster now, and she was on a 10 hour trip at 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Britney wasn't as young, but when she was a year old, my family & I drove from California to Texas. Every stop we made, I would walk her around, or feed her. She did great, minus the heat wave that was going on at the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts