Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, has anyone got a big chi? my charchi weighe,s 4.5klos or about 9 pounds 14 ounces. Is this classed as a big chi, or is there a lot of chi,s bigger than this? have any of you got a big chi? thanks-janet.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My first chi was 8 lbs but I never really classified her as a big chi. Yes 8 lbs & up seem bigger than the average-size chi, but they are still classified as a "small dog." The chi I have now is almost 7 lbs.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
Tootsie is my big girl. she's a chi and she weighs 10 pounds. She could maybe lose a few ounces but not really overweight. She's just large framed.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh yes we are "big" over here.
Frankie is just under 10 lbs. and Benny is 13 lbs. We have had Benny tested for everything including thyroid but everything checks out normal. They both eat Ziwipeak and Benny also eats Stella and Chewy's. They are very healthy pups.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
My old chihuahua Benji was 9 pounds, but there wasnt an ounce of fat on him! My 6 month old Honey weighs 6 and a half pounds already too!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, i cant believe how much charchi weighes when i pick him up, just looking at him u wouldent think he weighed that much, he feel really, really, heavy, but in no way does he look fat either.I guess i,m just very surprised everytime i pick him up, wow,heavy boned i guess.- janet

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Yup! Here too! My first one weighed 11.5 lbs! And Angel weighs in at 9 - 9.25lbs! But he keeps pretty active with my golden running him around the yard.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow Cindy, 11 pounds is big, Im not worried about it, it,s just with reading post here, and alway,s hearing about the real little one,s just got me thinking, maybe thay make big here ,downunder, lol, thanks everyone for your post, i feel normal now,lol- janet

·
Registered
236 Posts
My sisters rescue chi is 16lbs.
He is KC registered and obviously a full bred chi!

He was rescued from an unethical breeder who was using him at stud.
He has hardly any teeth and his tongue 'lols' out at the side of his mouth...lol

He was supposed to be around 5 when they got him a few years ago I should imagine he was a good bit older.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Peanut is 8.5 pounds. She was a rescue clearly used for breeding purposes. Supposedly some backyard breeders breed for big females to get more puppies--I don't know. My vet complimented me on her weight--she is in good shape, just bigger than normal. Finn is 6.5 pounds.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Peanut is 8.5 pounds. She was a rescue clearly used for breeding purposes. Supposedly some backyard breeders breed for big females to get more puppies--I don't know. My vet complimented me on her weight--she is in good shape, just bigger than normal. Finn is 6.5 pounds.
That makes me so mad! :foxes15: Also that some people will over breed their female. That makes me mad too.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That makes me so mad! :foxes15: Also that some people will over breed their female. That makes me mad too.
I know, the whole puppy mill enterprise is awful. I'm jut lucky they dumped her in the humane society (where our organization rescued her) rather than just killing her as many do.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Some Chis end up larger than standard. It can be because they are poorly bred or just the simple fact that they are bigger boned. They cannot be shown- other than that there is no difference. I had a chi that was 12 lbs. He was purebred and everything. And not overweight, that was the perfect weight for him.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Deuce my pure male chi is 11lbs! He's not overweight either - he's pretty tall.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i thought my myami was big at 2.8kg / 6.2 lbs lol she looks huge compared to keona but myami is quite stocky /big boned compared to keona

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WOWEEE, there are big chi,s around,it just amazes me how little some chi,s look, but when you pick them up, i dont know where they keep it. lol.

·
Registered
236 Posts
CoCo, my sisters, is a 'big' chi and looks big.

She once gave me a jacket she bought him that was too small for him. She said it would fit LeSat but he happily climbed through the sleeve to show her it was a bit big!

I met a chi the other week that was 7.5kgs and his owner thought he was a tiny chi.
They are all small dogs even at the bigger weights/sizes though so it's not really an issue for most people who want a small pet dog I don't think.
I wish LeStat was bigger though..I'd have been happy with a 10-15lb chi as tiny dogs aren't really my thing...we have LeStat 'by default'!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts