Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Ive just recently graduated college for cosmetology and am looking for a job,but im afraid to leave my lil babies alone and i do not want to box them up in a crate while im gone.I think its unfair to them to not be able to use the bathroom for anything after 4-5 hours.I have left them alone for 8 with no problems no poops or pees but thats just not fair everyday for them.I also do not trust no one to walk my dog as one of them (Romeo) might run off if not on leash right and likes to walk backward out of his harnesses!! ...My dogs have never had any training in as far as litter box and they are older 4-8 years old .does anyone have any help on how to train them if it is even possible or maybe the right stuff to buy to make it easier on them ?I have researched this online and seen many tutorial but a lot of them are on specific products and who knows if they r being truthful?Ive seen alot of tutorial with puppy and pe pe pads but my dog do not use the the bathroom in the house at all and i wouldn't want to throw them down and entice or confusing them to eliminate in the house aslo there both boys and do not squat so it would have to have a back board of some kind?What im thinking right now to do is buy the litter box or make one as iam kinda broke with not working for the last year and living of student loan :/ ? buy the spray to entice (spray in the litter box) i do not know which bedding to get maybe pine or no too harsh for there nose?im definitely going to get a wire play pen to section off a small portion at first so they will be next to the litter box all day at fist to train them?? if anyone has any help or maybe a different option for my case PLEASE let me know
thank you
Toni

·
Registered
394 Posts
You need a cat litter tray, line it with newspaper and give lots of praise!!!
If accidents occur take the pup to the tray wipe up the mess and put the dirty paper towel on the newspaper in tray and put the pup into the tray to reinforce the message.
repeat until success!

·
Registered
394 Posts
You could buy a secondhand travel crib and put the dogs and the tray in that.
You should check in on them though.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you very much iam in the look out for a playpen on Craigslist and yard sales or maybe like those lil gated play areas for puppies.I saw one for 8 dollars not to long ago but it was to far away :/
Toni

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have never used a litterbox, but my chis are pad trained and I can trust them to use the pads when I am gone. I leave them in the house for up to 6 hours no problem. They will always use the pad if they need to go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im trying to train my Chi to use a litter try (So far unsuccessfully!) - how are you getting on?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried to litter box train my male when he was a puppy and he didn't like stepping into the litter box. it was much easier to train him to use pads. Instead of disposable pads i've switched to ugodog.net 's product to eliminate having to buy disposable pads. my chis were pad trainined before i started ugodog and i just put some disposal pads under the ugodog grate to start them out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think Ugodog looks ok, but it still requires pads, or newspaper.

I'm going to get a Nugi system, which works on the same basis as Ugodog, but it uses washable and re-usable absorbant pads.

Since i like to be kind to the environment, i think this is a good option for me. :coolwink:

·
Registered
265 Posts

Hello Smitten:
I've never litter boxed persay trained my Chi.
thou I have potty trained on potty pads. (depends adult, they
are bigger) and worked just fine.
I believe there is a litter on the market just for litter boxes if
that is the way you wish to go.
I know they seem to need a larger area to go than one thinks
they do, or mine always seemed to.
Blessings.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I trained mine to a littebox when he was a puppy. I originally used the recycled newspaper litter called "Yesterdays news" I then later on used pee pads in the litter pan. :) I would be afraid of the different shavings as I know things like cedar shavings are dangerous for any pets even the small animals like, hamsters, etc...

When he would potty outside or inside I would take some and put it in his tray so he would realize that is where he should go :) Praise like crazy and give him a treat even. Keep in mind that some chi's like to poo in one place and urinate in another. Mine did this at first so I used a pad and a litter pan, then he learned to do both on the same thing ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts