Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i made a decision tosay, it was a hard one. i am going to stay at the groomers. i know i called her racist and all but she's not. i had a talk with her today. and she is very accepting of my taste in men and thinks my daughter is beautiful. she didn't realize things were offensive. i'm glad i talked to her. i know that i wanted to work in a vet's office and eventually i wanted to work in animal cruelty investigations but some things happened to me today and i realized i have too much heart for it. when i worked at the other animal hospital i knew that things were hard to deal with and since i was kennel/tech/bather i was all over the place and rarely had to deal with trauma. if i go to this other vet's i'll not only be assisting in surgeries but i'll be assisting in euthanasia and other sad situations and i realized today that i can't save them all. i want to but i can't and that kills me inside.

my boss is teaching me grooming, every day i learn something else. she's a very helpful person too. she handed me part of the newspaper with some things circled and when i looked at them they were very cheap apartments and she said to me "hun you can make it." (i've been having issues with my mom lately and i confided in her and she's kinda taking me under her wing.) and i also didn't have change for the parkway and i was going to break a dollar bill and she said oh just take it don't worry about it.....

what happened today....... this little old pomeranian was brought in today for a bath and lion cut. she said he had poop stuck to his bottom and she brings him with a plastic bag around his bottom half. "my husband got a new car." was the reason for the bag. well. the poor dog stunk so bad, not of feces but of rotting flesh and ear infection. she said he had a slight skin condition and had special shampoo for him. well once i concentrated of removing a huge mass of feces from his rear end (which she swears just happened that morning) i seen his poor bottom was raw and oozing. it's fecal scalding. the poop was on so long it burned him badley. then i seen his "little skin condition" rotting sores throughout his poor tiny body. it was so sad. me and my boss took our time to clean him up and give him his haircut that must have felt so good to him cause did i mention he was matted....... and we called the owner around 11....... then the next dog comes in the lady is trying to drag him in so the other groomer hops the counter and goes out and carries the dog in. we notice a really bad rash on that dog as well so the lady tells us he just went to the vets yesterday and had to have maggots removed from some scabs!!!! we told her to bring the dog back to the vets for a bath cause we don't have medicated shampoo that this dog would need or buy the shampoo from the vet and then bring the dog back to us...... so the other groomer carried the dog back out to the car.......
3 o clock comes around and my pom is still there. i call the owner again and she says oooohhh right yeah i'll be right there. she forgot about him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i fell in love with him and felt so bad for him i had hopes that she wouldn't come for him so i could take him home and get him the proper vet care. finally she comes back at 4 and we showed her what the feces did and she was "shcoked" :roll: and i told her that his ear was real bad and i wasn't a vet but i know he needs anti biotics and more frequent medicated baths. and i also told her that he needed his nails cut more often as i had to pull 2 dew claws out that had grown into the skin. she said she has cancer and is going to start chemo and it's been too much for her and she "spoils him so much" blah blah blah. ok i'm sorry you are sick but that is no excuse to let this poor baby suffer. i told her that and i also said if he is too much burden for you i'll be here you bring him on over and i'll be glad to take that burden off your hands....... the woman left and i started crying. i just know in my heart that he isn't going to get the proper care. my boss came over patted my head and said "good girl i'm proud of you."

i know that i will see this in any animal job i get but i feel that if i worked in a vet's it would be constant and they say that you become desensitized to it but i know in my heart that i will never be desensitized.

i'm sorry if this was so long! I SO did not want to go on and on. but i had to vent..... while i ws peeling away the nastiness i thought about all the pit bull fights that i can't stop, and all the animal neglect and cruelty that goes unnoticed. yes you can save an animal's life but what about all the others that die every day? i just can't deal with it. i think i'm having a nervous breakdown as i type this right now. i can't stop crying and my hands are shaking so bad.......

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Mandi you know what you can handle.....and that is very brave. You feel good too about getting things straight with that woman so now you can relax and enjoy getting to know her. Many people are misjudged by no fault-just mis interpretation.

You are right the job would be draining.....and demanding. One step at a time.....

so now you can removethe job burden off your shoulders and just enjoy learning the grooming business and your ability to help animals is still there just like today :D that is very sad about that pup, poor thing and you are right he probably wont be taken care of right but she knows where to go if she needs to. :wave:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Mandy,

You know in your heart you are doing the right thing. I am glad you have made a discion you will be happy with. You are the kindest most caring person I know on here and off. I admire you for that!!!!

:wink:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KJsChihuahuas said:
Mandy,

You know in your heart you are doing the right thing. I am glad you have made a discion you will be happy with. You are the kindest most caring person I know on here and off. I admire you for that!!!!

:wink:
thank you Lori. you are a truley understanding person and i am so glad i can turn to you.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I agree, to do any kind of animal job is extremely brave. I know that I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd cry every single day and I wouldn't be able to get my job done. Esp. if the owner of the dog obviously just didn't care what was going on with the dog, and put thier own problems ahead of the dog. That's just sad.

I really admire you for being able to do that kind of job :).

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pinkprincess21 said:
I agree, to do any kind of animal job is extremely brave. I know that I wouldn't be able to do it. I'd cry every single day and I wouldn't be able to get my job done. Esp. if the owner of the dog obviously just didn't care what was going on with the dog, and put thier own problems ahead of the dog. That's just sad.

I really admire you for being able to do that kind of job :).
thank you, but i don't admire me. i'm too sensitive.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Oh Mandi, I am so happy for you that you made the decision to stay at the most comfortable job.. I know it is hard to handle some of the made things that happen to animals.. But the good thing about it is that you can help the animals that come in there... I know that you won't only have the poor sick and injured dogs and the otheres will help you laugh and smile each adn everyday. The times you do help the insured or sick ones you will lknow at the end of the day that you did the best you possibly could... And that should make you very proud of yourself...

I hope that I will find a job that I am happy with like you seem to have found.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gadget's Mom said:
Oh Mandi, I am so happy for you that you made the decision to stay at the most comfortable job.. I know it is hard to handle some of the made things that happen to animals.. But the good thing about it is that you can help the animals that come in there... I know that you won't only have the poor sick and injured dogs and the otheres will help you laugh and smile each adn everyday. The times you do help the insured or sick ones you will lknow at the end of the day that you did the best you possibly could... And that should make you very proud of yourself...

I hope that I will find a job that I am happy with like you seem to have found.
one day i'll have my own shop and i'll hire you :) i'm trying to ease my mind now. i have a friend coming over. even though i have to wake up early for work i need someone here. i need to be held and to talk things over with. i feel like such a whiney baby right now. i held chiwi and just let the tears fall down. she was very calming as i've come down quite a bit. this is the first big decision that i've made soley by myself. i've asked for suggestions but haven't asked anyone to tell me what i should do. i'm scared that it may be the wrong decision but someone once taught me that all decisions can seem like the right one at the time and who knows 5 years from now maybe it was the wrong on but you live and learn and dont' make that same wrong decision again. or soemthing like that lol.... i can't think straight...

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Mandi, I agree with you about right and wrong decisions. I have made some wrong decisions before and I have to live with knowing that I did the wrong thing and have to deal with the decisions that I have made... but the nice thing about it.. I know that gut feeling is most inportant to me because usually when I get the gut feeling and I run with it I usually make the right one...

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I think this decision does feel right to you, in your heart, and that's all that matters. You are too emotional, overly sensitive and you have a heart of gold... all the things we love in you.

Life isn't a straight road. It's ups and downs and twists and turns. I think you're already doing a good job of finding your way and you will only get better at it. I would only ask you to be kinder... to yourself. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Mandi,

I agree with what Dori said - I've made some hard decisions in my life (a big one recently - whether or not to cancel my wedding, but that's a whole other story)

I think that you can only do what feels right & best for you & your family at the time - I've never regretted following my gut instincts. A wise lady I know told me once, 'God only hands out burdens that he knows you can handle - the strong ones get handed tougher tasks sometimes.' And you are strong, even if it's hard for you to believe.

Be true to yourself, stay the loving, warm and beautiful girl we all love, and you'll be OK.

:angel1:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i'm glad you made that desicion ....it's probably the best you could make. it's a good thing you had that talk with her.....she seems very nice ....it sounds like you have found a friend in her.

workingat a vet's office would be so hard...i couldn't handle it , i know for sure.

i hope everything in life works out fine for you :wave:

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I think you made the right decision. You sound like a very strong person and you remind me A LOT of myself. I too worked for a vet for several years while in college and although I wouldn't change the experience for anything, it too had some times that were very upsetting. Watching a dog be euthanized because it is unwanted is the worst. I understood those animals that were too sick, but to put a perfectly healthy dog down because it is unwanted is terrible. The clinic I worked at had a contract with the city, so we saw more euthanisias. The best part about my job was fostering kittens and puppies for the clinic as well as the local shelter. There is nothing more satisfying then fostering an animal, getting it well, then seeing it go to a good home. I learned long ago, you can't save them all, but the ones you do save are truely grateful because you've given them a second chance at life.

Keep your head up and you'll make it just fine. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I don't think you are too sensitive and I think you are wise to have made that decision. As much as I love animals I could never work in a vet office as I am not tough enough to do the best thing for the animal and it would be a job that would leave me a basket case. Maybe the grooming is just what you are meant to do , being near animals and helping them without too much trauma :wink:

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
How wonderful that you were still at the groomers when the little pom came in...with your knowledge base, you could identify and correct his problems and advise his owner...it sounds like you are at one of the crossroads of life...always difficult to decide which way to go, listen to your internal self......if you make the right decision..great...if not...you will just have to make some adjustments......stay strong...Chiwi needs you .

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mandi I think you made a great decision for yourself. And I'm glad that you got everything cleared up with your boss. I'm glad that it worked out for you.

I have always wanted to work in a vet's office too but I know myself. I could not handle seeing an animal in pain. And then to see the family's that lose their pets, that would be devastating.

Poor doggy! That is so sad. :cry:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Im happy for you that you made a decision. I know choices can be so annoying. Anyways I hope the relationship between you and the boss continue to grow. And I hope you don't have neglecting parents come in anymore. It must be heartbreaking to see stuff like that. I was driving and saw a homeless man walking across the street, and he had a dog with him. The dog was limping and so dirty, and I thought to myself its so sad to see that but I also know that dog would probably not want to leave his side. All I could do was say a little prayer for him. :(

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
It's good to know that some people out there are hlping out any way they can...by that I mean you...the poor little pom must have felt so relieved to have loving hands taking care of him...Your are strong because I cannot handle any type of animal neglect, I fall to pieces...but you handled that bravely and professionaly too! I know you wanted to take that little guy away from her, but, you approached it in such a good manner...I could never do that...I would be too angry at the owner...

Things happen for reasons...why, sometimes we don't know until later...I'm glad you found your niche...

Good luck and lots of hugs! :wave:

PS Cuddle Chiwi lots today.... :D

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ladies your words have helped me in ways you could not imagine. i thank you all for your support (((hugs)))

i'm feeling a little better today, still can't et that lil guy out of my head though. :cry:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts