Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby & I were in deep thought the other night as to how smart dogs really are & how much of our language they learn & really know. It's so amazing to me how I can talk to Midgie like she's a person & she listens like she knows everything I'm saying. I don't think we give them enough credit for how much they truly know.
It's also astounding how they know things before they even happen like when you are planning to go somewhere how their attitude changes as they know you are planning to leave before you even get ready. It's said they even know when you are on your way home. I know this fact is true because my Midgie is a Mama's girl and my hubby told me that one day while I was out shopping, Midgie laid on his lap while I was gone. Then all of a sudden, she got up and went downstairs to the back door where I would be coming in & waited. I wasn't a few houses away from being home & somehow she knew I was almost home.
What's some of your experience with your chi? Do you ever think about how smart they are.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Someone told me that dogs know the sound of your car. They can hear it from a pretty far distance. I think that is why Midgie ran to the door anticipating your arrival. My pups do that too :)

I do think they are smart. Some more than others..... Just like people;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Yeah, my hubby said before I even turn into our driveway (our driveway alone is a couple hundred feet long) the dogs will jump onto the back of the couch which is by our picture window & start barking & whining. I think dogs pick up on our habits more than being very smart. They know what we do before we leave...our routine which is why sometimes they anticipate things. Seems like if I even start thinking about leaving he'll get all excited & sit by the door hoping to go for a ride. :lol:

Saying that...I've noticed my lot is very good at judging "energy". Ivy has been having some anger & anxiety issues lately & when she gets out of hand Matilda nearly climbs up my hubby's head. She HATES any kind of inappropriate high energy whether it's anger, hyperness, etc. If I get too frustrated with something, she will give a growl. Not to be mean...but because she's uncomfortable with my energy. It's a great reminder for us when we need to tone it down. ;) Even my husband said how impressed he is by how much we learn from our dogs. They really are smart yet in a very basic kind of way. We make things so complex the simple things get unnoticed but the pups pick up on them in a heartbeat. :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
There's a great documentary done by Nova called 'Decoding Dogs' which looks at the ways in which dogs use their intellect, particularly in relation to us people. There's also a segment about how we are also very good at identifying dog sounds and what different barks mean, without even seeing the dog that's making them or the context.

I think what's really amazing is not so much their smarts, but how much of their smarts are spent figuring us out. No other animal does that as well or as fully as dogs.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I agree! They are super smart if you ask me! I always know Joey is home before I actually see our car coming down the road because they jump up! They just know the sound of our car and get excited! I find it amazing how you can talk to them and they really understand you. I talk to Shayley all the time and she will look at me like she understands, when I'm sad she will just lay her head next to me on on my lap and sigh and not be happy! She so understood when my Grandma died. Then there are times when I'm talking to her and she just KNOWS I'm happy and she'll do that digging happy butt dance thing lol and I love that! lol

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Oh yeah they are smart.
Mine always know when my OH is coming by his car, and i live on a busy street with lots of cars, but they can pick his out.
Normally they are pretty playful, especially Dillon, but the past couple of days i have been under the weather and they are all so mellow and been laying on me in bed.
Dillon has ben resting his head on my forehead, as he lays on my pillow, and the girls have been spooning with me, it's so cute.
They really do know when you are unwell or sad, and are the best tonic in the world!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it's more than just picking up habits! I have no normal routine to my life, so Midgie just knows things. I agree they can pick up our energy, when we're sad, glad, happy, excited, etc... Totally amazing!!
I love hearing how smart everyone's chis are!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts