Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I have not posted on this forum in awhile. We lost our fur son Studd back in June 2011 and we are looking for a new Chi pup. I am in Texas and have really been having a hard time finding a good breeder here. When I got Studd it was a spare of the moment buy from what we think a back yard breeder. We got him at 6 weeks old and can with a lot of issues,health too and ended with us putting him to sleep. I do not want a repeat of that this time around.

So if anyone can give me some tips on what to look for this time around in breeders it would really help me a lot. We would like to have a female Chi this time around. We are excited about adding a new edition to our family. ;) Thanks Shon

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
Hi! Sorry to hear about Studd, I know how you feel, we had to put our chi Gino down just before his 2nd birthday due to a combination of bad breeding and over-vaccination. Anyway, after that experience, I decided to do tons of research before bringing home another chi baby.
The first thing I did was start by googling show dog breeders in my area, not that I wanted to show my puppy, but if mom or dad have healthy pedigrees and have been shown, then I figured the puppy would be healthy. Once I found a couple breeders I thought were reputable, I asked for vet references as well as previous customer references. If they were hesitant to give me the info, then I would just move on. If everything checked out, my next step was to go and see the puppy (and the breeder's home) if possible.

Yes the puppies I was looking at were more expensive than what u pay for a puppy mill dog, but it's really a long term investment and in the end may be cheaper than a sick dog w lots of vet bills.

My third chi, Leo, just turned 7 months old and he's amazing! His breeder (Kelley's chihuahuas of southern Indiana) was nothing short of perfect too! I was able to come pick Leo up at her immaculate home, meet his parents and her other chi's. Also, I put a deposit down when he was 4 weeks old, so every week she sent weekly photos to give us an update. And guess what? We still talk about every couple weeks which means a lot to me. She provides lifetime support for her dogs bc she breeders for confirmation and quality. She truly loves her chihuahuas!

Didn't mean to make that so long! Anyway, may I ask what your budget is? Have you considered buying from another state and having them delivered via airplane? The only reason I ask is bc I know a couple of great breeders, 2 here in Indiana and 2 in Minnesota.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CCA Breeder Directory You should be able to find some reputable breeders here. Sorry to hear of your loss, but good luck on your search! Let us know when you have your new family member.
Thank you I did look at the site first site i went to and a lot of the links are down or the breeders are not breeding anymore. The search is still on. Thanks again!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! Sorry to hear about Studd, I know how you feel, we had to put our chi Gino down just before his 2nd birthday due to a combination of bad breeding and over-vaccination. Anyway, after that experience, I decided to do tons of research before bringing home another chi baby.
The first thing I did was start by googling show dog breeders in my area, not that I wanted to show my puppy, but if mom or dad have healthy pedigrees and have been shown, then I figured the puppy would be healthy. Once I found a couple breeders I thought were reputable, I asked for vet references as well as previous customer references. If they were hesitant to give me the info, then I would just move on. If everything checked out, my next step was to go and see the puppy (and the breeder's home) if possible.

Yes the puppies I was looking at were more expensive than what u pay for a puppy mill dog, but it's really a long term investment and in the end may be cheaper than a sick dog w lots of vet bills.

My third chi, Leo, just turned 7 months old and he's amazing! His breeder (Kelley's chihuahuas of southern Indiana) was nothing short of perfect too! I was able to come pick Leo up at her immaculate home, meet his parents and her other chi's. Also, I put a deposit down when he was 4 weeks old, so every week she sent weekly photos to give us an update. And guess what? We still talk about every couple weeks which means a lot to me. She provides lifetime support for her dogs bc she breeders for confirmation and quality. She truly loves her chihuahuas!

Didn't mean to make that so long! Anyway, may I ask what your budget is? Have you considered buying from another state and having them delivered via airplane? The only reason I ask is bc I know a couple of great breeders, 2 here in Indiana and 2 in Minnesota.
Thank You for all of your info!!! With the price I am not being picky.But I would really like to get a Chi here in Texas or OK the reason being if I have any issues with the pup we would be able to handle it quickly. Plus we get to go see the pups and parents in person.

·
Premium Member
5,888 Posts
I can definitely understand that, maybe you can try googling things like Texas champion sired chihuahuas or Texas show dog chihuahua to see if anything comes up? Also, puppyfind.com has puppies available and you can search by state so that may help too. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts