Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a job interview tomorrow morning and if I were to get the job then both hubby and I will be working full time which is going to leave the pups at home by themselves for a good part of the day. For those of you who also work where do you keep your Chis until you get home?

We have a small fence outside but I have always been leery of leaving them out there for long periods of time. Jackson has even escaped out of it twice although we have fixed the areas where he escaped from. My hubby says to leave them in their crates but they are way too small in my opinion for them to be in for that amount of time and no place to go to the bathroom in them either. We do have two pet gates that I could put up to keep them contained in a certain room but Jackson has even escaped over those while we have been out of the house. Salsi was potty pad trained by her previous owner so she will use them if they are down but Jackson has never been taught and is bad for marking if he thinks I'm not watching him. I'm really not sure what my best option in this situation would be? :confused:

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Your options are a Chi proofed room, or a large pen/crate with toilet area.
You could consider getting a dog walker (or a friend/family member) to let them out midway through the day.
I generally leave mine in their crates, but i try not to leave them alone for more than 4 hours.
If I have to be away longer I always take them on a long walk beforehand and leave pee pads down.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Fin's a baby still, so he gets crated when we aren't home. On days where we both work, I come home at lunch to let him out for a break, so he's in there for a max of four hours at a time.

Gizmo and Tink (ages 2 and 11) are free-range. We have a baby gate across the doorway into the basement to keep them out of that area, but they have full access to the main floor.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
When me and my hubby go out I just put the puppies in their crates (there is space for them to relieve themselves) they are still in the process of getting trained and millie stays in the living room she has food and water.
if I was you I would get a large pen that the escape artist cant get out of haha ;) inside the pen I would have a bed, food, water and a puppy pad.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dorothy has the run of the house. But, we are a family with older kids (12 and 15) and their school schedules vary enough, combined with our coming home for lunch every day, that Dorothy is never alone more than 3 hours at a time, for a total of about 13-14 hours a week.

I am still working on hubby at convincing him she NEEDS to come to the office every day. Yep, NEEDS! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Mine are used to being alone in crate up to 8 hrs. It works for us. However, my SO schedule is now more flexible so, they are in and out of the crate during the work week.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I LOVE the Iris pen. They now come with a 'roof' too. They have room for a small crate/carrier, water and food bowls, and some toys. I use a 34x36" pee pad down, so it covers the whole pen. (I get them at a Walgreens or medical supply place. They come in washable, which I use, or disposable ones)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ladies! The interview went well and looks like I will be starting in about 2 weeks if everything works out. I'm thinking for now just putting up the dog gates where they are confined to the living room with their beds, water, and pee pads down. We have hardwood floors in there so at least any accidents will be easier to get up than if it were on carpet. If that option ends up failing then I will start looking into pens for them and see what I can find. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks ladies! The interview went well and looks like I will be starting in about 2 weeks if everything works out. I'm thinking for now just putting up the dog gates where they are confined to the living room with their beds, water, and pee pads down. We have hardwood floors in there so at least any accidents will be easier to get up than if it were on carpet. If that option ends up failing then I will start looking into pens for them and see what I can find. :)
Congrats on the new job! Your babies will adjust fine!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Mine are only left home for 4 hours at a time because I'm able to come home for lunch for and hour or so, but both mine only have run of two rooms with pee pads down when I'm not home. I put up baby gates to restrict going anywhere else. It was not always like this though. The 1st year or longer they were in an Iris Pen when we weren't home for their own safety, my peace of mind that they were safe, and housetraining of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used to have to leave my babies home alone during the week as well, back before I started to work from home. I hated it and felt so guilty.

If or once they're potty training you could get a large playpen for them. I got a huge 8' by 8' one. I also had to get a cover because despite the playpen being 5' my chis could still clear it (or maybe they climbed) and if come home to them walking around the house. I had a little kid tent in there with beds and blankets, then I also had a play area with toys. I also left a pee pad in there. Some people might not agree with that but my thoughts are if you have to leave them for 8+ hours, I couldn't wait that long to use the restroom so why should I make them?!

Also, the reason why I say I wouldn't advise leaving them in a large playpen until they're potty trained is because naturally puppies will use every inch as a pee pad.

Overall, I feel if I had to leave them, mine as well make it so they had a large confined and safe area where they could pretty much do everything they'd normally do if I were there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to work full time and had to leave mine for sometime more than 10 hours at a time. They only had the uncarpeted living room, kitchen, hallway and laundry room. I put papers down in the laundry room. No need for toys as they never play with them. I left chew stuff and I hid treats for them to find. Mostly they slept on the sofa until I got home. Sprayed vinegar on Joey's favorite places to mark territory when he thinks I don't see him. They did fine. I guess because they weren't really alone. They had each other. Didn't seem to miss me at all!

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
congratulations on the job april! I hope you love it :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Jasper is 9 years old and flawlessly house trained. He is "free range" for up to 4 hours and has done well, on rare occasions, crated for up to 10+ hrs. Marlowe is crated and can go approximately 7-8 hours without an accident in his crate. Wendell is only 8 weeks, 4 days old and uses a pee pad inside a large plastic storage tub downstairs and upstairs in our home. He's great at alerting us when he has to go potty. When spring and warmer weather comes, we will introduce him to going potty outdoors, as we did with Marlowe, our 16-month-old, last year. If you crate, i've found that a crate just barely large enough for the dog to stand upright, lie down and turn around works best, as most dogs I've owned have tended to refrain from going potty where they lie down.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My chi gets to be free roam. He likes to sleep on the sofa. His sister is larger and has to be crated because she likes to chew on things if she's bored. She has been left in a bedroom in the past with success though and I will probably start doing that again. My other tiny (chi/yorkie cross) never gets left as she's my service dog, but she'd be free with her brother if she was.

Both tinies do go to work with me, but I leave the dogs behind for other reasons.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Congratulation on the job. I did a little of both when I was working last year. I have the Iris pen...actually 3 of them which can be used many different ways. I can make on giant pen, 3 regular size and use pieces of them to close of certain areas of the home. I think 4 hours is fine but I like to give them more room with restriction. I leave pads available if they can't wait the longer amount of times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts