Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were going to have her spayed at 6 months old, but the vet said that we should wait because her baby teeth were not ready to be pulled. They like to pull the remaining baby teeth when they do the spay.

So at 7 months of age we took her in. Everthing went well. We picked her up about 7 hours after the surgery. She wagged her tail when she saw me, then fell asleep in my arms. She was dopped up for the rest of the night. We had no other issues.

That night she was home sleeping in her dog snuggies. My wife came home, Hazel looked at her, rolled halfway on her side and lifted one leg to show what happeded to her. She repeated this an hour later when my daughter came home. This was rather funny, because Hazel does not like be on her back. But whe wanted to show what happened to her.

On a side note they used diazapam and ketamine to nock her out for the suregery. There were no signs on nausea. She had an appetite and her bowels returned to normal that night. They did not give her any post op antibiotics. They did give rimadyl for pain relief at home.

It was also interesting how fast the adult teeth grew between 6 to 7 months of age. You could barely see them at 6 months, but she had vampire fangs at 7 month old.

Total cost was $198 US. We are relieved that it is over.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I had Lola done begenning of dec, i was so reliefed when it was all over and i took her home!
She was ok after recovery, the vet said she will be zonked and just sleep.... he couldnt have been more wrong!!
As soon as we got in the car she tryed jumpin out my arms on to the back seat!
When we got home she chilled for a few hours then when it was time 4 bed she kept trying to jump on my bed instead of sleepin in hers which she normally does!! So i was up most of the night trying to settle her, in the end she ended up sleepin in my arms on the bed!!
And the next few days after she was a nightmare to keep her still!
Lucky enough all her stitches were fine, she hadnt pulled them!
Just got Penny to get thru now and i`ll be happy!!
Glad hazel is ok! its a big thing for a little doggie!

·
Registered
384 Posts
awww thats cute that she wanted to show what happend to her to the family.
and i have a question: when a female is spayed that means she cant have puppies and doesnt have her period? i wonder?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
awww thats cute that she wanted to show what happend to her to the family.
and i have a question: when a female is spayed that means she cant have puppies and doesnt have her period? i wonder?
No she won't have anymore heat cycles. No more mess. No worry about accidental breeding.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Glad Hazel came thru with no problems. It worries me to have such little dogs worked on. I still have to get my baby girl Tallie done but I keep putting it off as I feel she is just sooo little.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Bella, Lina, and I send gentle hugs to Hazel for a speedy recovery. What a good dog!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I am glad she came through it all ok, and what a sweetheart showing everyone what happened to her :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I giggled a bit when I logged on just now and saw this thread. I logged on with the intent to post a thread for any advice/feedback on things I should watch for after spaying. I take Zsa Zsa tomorrow morning at 6am for her surgery. Part of me assumes that I'd need to watch for the normal signs that one would watch for after spaying/neutering any dog, but Eggz and Zsa Zsa are the first none giant breed dog that I've ever owned (Eggz came to me already neutered), and I know often times things that larger breeds can skate right through can be very difficult for on toy/tiny breeds. The fact that I've only had Zsa Zsa for 2 days makes it even more difficult because I don't have any history of what's "normal behavior" for her. Honestly I'm a bit freaked out and a bit anxious about the whole thing...she's so little. If I we're afraid she's going to go into heat any day now I'd probably put the surgery off for a month or so, but I know doing it now is the best thing.

I'm glad to hear that Hazel is doing well after her surgery, and I want to thank you for posting with good news...believe it or not hearing about Hazel actually lowered my anxiety a bit (but only 6am will tell if I'm going to be a basket case or not lol)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the kind comments. It has been 3 days now. They had given her an inectable pain med that was to last 48-72 hours. I think that has worn off. She has been wimpering a little bit from time to time. She never did that before. The wimpering goes away after we give her the rimidyl (antinflamitory pain med). She hasn't started running around the house yet either, so I think that there must be some pain. But other than those issues, she appears to back to her old self. If the wimpering continues, I will take her back for a post op visit.

Gypsy... hope all is going well for you. let us know. I know I was really nervous too.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww bless.
How cute she showed everyone!
My Darla was 7 months aswell and was just very tired when she got home, but the next day she wanted to act as normal and it was a challenge for a while to keep her still. lol
They pulled her baby teeth too.

Daisy was 3 as i had only got her near that age, and she had to go back in the vets that night as she was whimpering a lot.
Next day she was fine though.

My wee boy Dillon just got neutered yesterday, and he is doing great.
He hates the collar/cone thing though and is moaning about wearing it and trying to take it off. lol
We are getting him a baby onesie to wear tomorrow.
He had 2 baby teeth taken out aswell.
Oh and he is just over 7 months.
I find it funny that now after this he is squatting like a girl to pee, whereas before he just stood up and peed. haha!!

Anyway glad your wee girl is doing well too.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Awwww Hazel, what a good girl you are! And what a good report daddy/mommy made on you! And you wanting to show your boo boo to everyone? You silly, silly little doll baby.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts