Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!

i have a 4 year old long haired chi named dallas that i am sooo in love with. he has been living with my mother for a few months when i was in between apartments and i recently got him back living with me, and everytime i leave him alone in my room and leave the house he flips out and cries and barks and jumps into the door. its become horrible for my life. i cannot even goto the corner store without him. i love him to death but its too much!

any tips on what i can do? i dont want to have to give him up!

thanks so much guys im losing my mind! :(
-derek

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Have you tried going out the door for a minute then coming back in,(that shows that you haven't left him and you will be back),extend the time you do it and ignore him when you come in only give him praise when he's stoped jumping up and has calmed down.As he's been living with mum he probably thinks you're going again and leaving him,does he get lots of excercise and play time to wear him out ?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Sounds like his routine has been flipped upside down & he needs time to adjust. How long has it been going on? I'm sorry it's making your life horrible but it sounds to me like he's not having a good time either. I agree he needs plenty of exercise & things to do while he's alone. Is he crate trained? Sometims they feel more secure if they are crated in their own little den. Also, how old is he? It took Matilda a year & a half to be able to be home w/o tearing something apart. She just didn't like to be alone w/o her person & instead of crying/barking she destroyed any type of paper, pen, pencil, etc she could find. I just think once they know the routine they get more comfortable with it.

For now I'd give him a good brisk walk before going out & then crate, give him a nylabone or something else to chew & keep him busy while you're out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
what i am doing with coco is going upstairs and leaving her for 3 mins and each day extend thetime of her being left alone ---- hope it helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts