Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older chi Artie is so high strong he is always bouncing off the walls.I fill bad because my younger one is so quite all he want to do is sit on my lap so the older one is all ways left out because i can not even get him to sit still in the car i have a dog car seat for them but he will try to jump out a hang his self he would rather stay in the back yard all day he pays me no mind until i try to leave the house when i first fell in love with the breed i loved the fact that they were lap dog but he is nobody's lap dog he really dose't want to be touch at all i feel bad because my younger all he wants is to stay with me he quite the mommy's boy if Artie didn't act like this i would never have gotten a second one i love Artie so much how can i get him to settle down long enough for him to join in with us for the most part he gets a long fine with blue he listen okay he is like a wild fox that really could care less for human contact. :( what to do .

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It sounds like Artie is bored. Just because he plays in the yard all day doesn't mean his mind is gettnig a good workout.

Try taking him on walks where you don't let him drag you behind him (he'll probably try). Make him heel to you, or at least walk beside you. If you exercise his brain along with his body, he will most likely calm down a bit inside the house.

You might also try getting him to play ball with you in the yard. If he has a favorite toy, use that.

You may also want to try "puzzle" toys with Artie, like the Kong. Fill it with his food and a treat - or whatever you want - and let him sit with it and figure out how to get everything out. Toys like the kong are great at giving the mind something to focus on ... and it keeps the pup still for a bit.

Some dogs are naturally more high strung than others and you really need to exercise their brains just as much as their bodies for them to be happy and completely healthy.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Thank you!! I watch a lot of the Dog Whisperer - his answer to solving any problem (or at least start solving it) is to walk the dog. Most times, the dog is just bored and stops doing whatever it is they're doing - just from walking them!

I can't take all the blame for my brilliance - some comes from TV. (And my mother told me I would never learn anything! Pffft!! :D )

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Great advice, Cooper's mom. Try to get him involved in some play time with you and the new puppy also. It sounds to me like he is just a very active chi, and doesn't have an interest in just sitting in your lap. Inactivity probably just aggravates him. But if you get him involved in playing, take him for walks, and give him an outlet for some of his energy it could make a big difference.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Good advice Cooper. I agree, getting involved with what he's doing could really strengthen that bond between you. :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts