Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know its only been 2 months of training but at 2 months in we have gotten him to understand to ask to go he does this every time AS LONG AS HE IS IN HIS PLAYPEN. Once he is out he never asks he just goes. He has learned the phrase do you have to go potty and he also knows when he is going outside. So I know we have to be patient and keep waiting while being diligent which we are I'm always home with him. I'm just wondering should we ditch the playpen and let him have accidents and start teaching him no and then bring him outside? We have refrained from reprimanding him and or really given him much opportunity outside the playpen to ask. I don't know if maybe that's our problem being to cautious? I read a lot of places forums videos say never ever teach your dog no and or be stern. Basically should we keep doing as we are doing or should be start letting him make mistakes and teach him that's not allowed to learn? I also understand all pups are different just looking for others general opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I know its only been 2 months of training but at 2 months in we have gotten him to understand to ask to go he does this every time AS LONG AS HE IS IN HIS PLAYPEN. Once he is out he never asks he just goes. He has learned the phrase do you have to go potty and he also knows when he is going outside. So I know we have to be patient and keep waiting while being diligent which we are I'm always home with him. I'm just wondering should we ditch the playpen and let him have accidents and start teaching him no and then bring him outside? We have refrained from reprimanding him and or really given him much opportunity outside the playpen to ask. I don't know if maybe that's our problem being to cautious? I read a lot of places forums videos say never ever teach your dog no and or be stern. Basically should we keep doing as we are doing or should be start letting him make mistakes and teach him that's not allowed to learn? I also understand all pups are different just looking for others general opinions and experiences.
I used to teach dog training classes and if you don't get stern with a dog, they will never learn. Now I don't mean to be mean to the dog, you use a stern voice when correcting and a very loving good boy! when he does good. Another thing to try, lay down a puppy pad in a certain place teach him to go there. Playpen go away! When he starts using the puppy pad give him a treat every time, this will help him in his training. As he gets used to the puppy pad decrease the treats until soon you don't have to give him any more and he is going outside more. Do use the word no, only when necessary, I use it if I have to, but I don't say it real nasty just stern. When he pee pee's where he's not suppose to tell him in a stern voice "no! bad boy or dog" and take him either outside or to the puppy pad right a way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
8 months and still no progress :( This little stubborn guy is relentless! He just refuses to ask to go outside. At what point can you assume it will never change? Can potty training take years?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you tried puting down a pee pad in the house to train him to use in case he can't make it outside in time? They have pee pads that look like grass, so if he is used to going outside using grass, maybe he would use the grass pee pad in the house once he got trained to it therefor he could be left out of his pen and have free range of the house. I would only let him have just one little section of house at a time until he is completely trained.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts