Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
)Zola was getting good at eating his food and now he won't eat at all. Apart from at night that is. My boyfriend wil feed him in the morning before he leaves for work but he wont eat. Sometimes hes to tried so wont get outta bed and when he does get outta bed he still wont eat. I have my neighbour come in at lunch time (he totally loves her, more than me I think :cry: ) she would feed him but his bowl is always still full so she doesnt give me anymore as there would be no point. Then I come in from work and go to feed him his 3rd meal of the day and he's still not eaten anything!!! So then when its bed time and he knows it he will go over to his bowl and eat about one meals worth. I know this is not good for him not eating more than 1 meal if that a day. So please if yous can help me please let me know?
Maybe hes just fasting cuz Im not there, atleast thats what I thought but even on weekends and other days im here he's just the same. Ive taken himout for a big walk tonight to try and make him tired and hungry but he will still just pick. Ive tried changing the food to (even tho hes always liked that food) but no still wont touch it. I swear he is not a chi, he's a vampire

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would try having him eat out of your hand or maybe change food. If all else fails call the vet for suggestions. Will she eat treats or chews? Maybe a little wet food might help.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's on wet food at the moment cuz he likes it so much and sometimes he has a hand full of dry food in there to. He wont eat either of those and I have tried the puppy pack and canx aswell. He'll eat a small amount if I put it on a spoon and let him lick it off and he just ate a small bit of low fat cream cheese and a little potato but thats not really good enough, you know

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
tyson is going through a funny phase too. he will not eat in the morning unless its something very yummy ie: chicken or something i have put it down to teething?? maybe biccies are a bit hard. i tried the melted cheese on biccies and that seems to work a bit . so i guess maybe tempting him with something very yummy for a bit mite help? its so worrying i know :?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
i know its annoying cos they will eat other things but dont get the goodness from their own food :? i am also hand feeding tyson at times , hoping its just a thing he is going through at the mo.

i did put a few bits of chicken in the bottom of his dish under his meat and that helped , he ate the whole bowl so thats an idea for a while

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
How old is he?

If he's around 5 months he might be teething.
Or if he's older, maybe he's just not as hungry anymore. Ya know, growing up.
Don't be switching his food too much or you'll make him a picky eater.

Did you just go back to work recently? Might be he's sad at the change.
:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He is just over 5 months now and I know he is teething cuz he's still chewing on peoples hands and his toys. I have been back at work well over 2 months now and he was eating fine in the first month or more so Im sure its not that? I tried him on butches tins, what the breeder told me and he loved them then he went off them so I tried the butchers puppy packs with the dry food to cuz its very watery and he liked that for about 2 days and went off that to.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
He's probably teething.
Pick something you know he used to eat and stick with it. He really should still be getting some puppy food for the extra vitamines and calcium because he's still growing and getting teeth.

He won't starve himself as long as he's healthy.
If you've been giving him extra treets and stuff because he's not eating, stop giving the treats and just give him his own food. You don't want to reward him for not eating right?

Others have posted things to give puppies to chew on that are teething in other threads. Try some of them instead of switching his food around.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your help everyone. I am gonna try maybe some melted cheese or something on top of his food to see if he will eat that. Heres hoping. The ony treat he ever gets is baby rusks cuz he loves them and sometimes he wont even eat that. he only gets half a day. He has lots of proper dog chews to chew on tho

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just fed him some dry food and held it in my hand as if it were a kong and the wee bugger ate it all. So thats good. Ill see if he will eat it form the bowl next time. I hope he doesnt get to use to me feeding from my hand tho, thats the only thing. Hes bouncing about all crazy so he's definatley not sick. He hardly drinks either tho so his pee is yellow. Its just frustrating and worrying but I know he'll be fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts