Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like Dior shakes her head everytime she comes out from under the covers, or getting her clothes off, which she didn't do when we first got her, and I've also noticed a slight smell in her ears, are all chis like, this? I could mention it when I got to the vet, but I am thinking she needs her ears cleaned, who had the DIY instructions?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Hi there! I haven't seen you post lately. I was wondering how you and Dior were doing!

It sounds like maybe she has an ear infection since there is an odor. Did you bathe her recently? Maybe you got water in her ear...If you do think she has an ear infection I would probably bring her to the vet and watch closely how they clean her ears, etc. Then if it happens again, you know what to do. But for that first time, I would probably have a professional do it. Chihuahua's have tiny ear canals and I'd be afraid I'd hurt them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo & Bindi's ears get cleaned every month.........its a part of grooming. I agree with Anna.....get it checked to be sure but Kemo and Bindi both shake their heads when they have been under covers and such. :D

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Poppy shakes her head at times too, especially when she has been under the blankets. I heard that if they have a "vinegar" sour smell to their ears, it could be a sign of infection..also, does she have "coffee grain" type brown in her ears? This can be a sign of infection too. Maybe mention it to the vet next time you go.... :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Frequent shaking, especially with dark residue int he ears and a foul odor, almost certainly means ear infection by bacteria (cocci or staph), fungus (yeast), or parasite (mites). Definately have it checked out by a vet but
DO NOT clean it out yourself first. If you clean out the residue before the vet sees your dog, there won't be anything to make a definitive diagnosis on, or do an ear cytology with. Your vet will most likely show you how to clean the ears properly with the proper tools and solution, so that's your best bet!

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Kismet, my shih tzu, is being treated w/ medicine now for an ear infection. It was very dark and dirty in her ear w/ a yucky smell. Now she smells so much better! :lol:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll definately wait until the vet checks it out. I know what mites look like, and thats not it. I can only smell it if I put my nose up to her ear, and it isn't very strong. But I told my beau that by the time there are outward signs, that the problem could be pretty bad. So to the vet she goes!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
ilovesadie Frequent shaking, especially with dark residue int he ears and a foul odor, almost certainly means ear infection by bacteria (cocci or staph), fungus (yeast), or parasite (mites).
I completly agree with this have her checked by a vet. I hope everything turns out well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts