Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm hearing all this stuff about apple heads and dear heads...... i was told the terms apple head, dear head, toy, teacup, tiny teacup and micro mini were all things breeders came up with to charge discusting amounts of money for "rare finds"

any feedback on this, cause i'm not sure what to make of it....

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
luvmypuppet said:
i'm hearing all this stuff about apple heads and dear heads...... i was told the terms apple head, dear head, toy, teacup, tiny teacup and micro mini were all things breeders came up with to charge discusting amounts of money for "rare finds"

any feedback on this, cause i'm not sure what to make of it....
Toy would be the only acceptable term according to the AKC or any kennel club since is the term that describes small dogs and/or lap dogs since they don't qualify as sporting breeds, hounds or any of the other..in that term are poddles, maltese, yorkies, chihuahuas, etc. any other term applied by anybody is either a scam for money or lack of knowledge.. :wink: Hope that helps. :wink:

About head shapes, just like humans chis shapes vary. Unluckily for our dear deer heads I think the head shape regulation for a show dog is apple. :wink:

Taken from breeder's website

Sporting Breeds
The more common breeds found in this group are the Irish, Gordon and English Setters, Labrador Retriever, Golden Retriever, Springer Spaniel, American Cocker Spaniel, German Shorthaired Pointer, etc. Dogs in this group are bred to accompany their masters on the hunt as pointers and retrievers. They must be able to work and run long and hard during the course of a hunting day. They are generally medium sized dogs with great energy levels. Some are true water dogs and will retrieve birds from water of all temperatures.

This means that if they aren't employed frequently as hunters, they will tend to employ themselves in these endeavors! Around the home they may be extremely active to the point of annoyance. If you have a collection of pet birds, you might not wish to have these dogs in your home. If you have a swimming pool and own a Labrador Retriever, he'll be found in the pool about 50% of the time! Some sporting breeds can be constant barkers. Others are not so noisy. Be sure to ask. Sporting breeds are not usually thought of as great guards although there certainly can be exceptions to this.

Working Breeds
Some of the more well known breeds in this category include the Great Dane, Doberman Pinscher, St. Bernard, Rottweiler, Great Pyrenees, Boxer, Mastiff, Akita and of course my favorite Giant Schnauzers.

The breeds of the Working Group tend to be fairly large dogs who were originally bred as guards, draft dogs, rescue dogs, and to assist man in his work. They are generally less active than dogs of the sporting breeds and are not so quick to bark. They are not recommended as apartment dwellers although the lack of space can be overcome with adequate exercise. Working breeds are generally easily trained and are friendly with strangers once their master says it's OK. They are extremely loyal to their owners and thrive as family dogs.

Because the dogs of this group tend to be larger than average, they also live shorter lives. They may not necessarily eat more than a smaller dog of the Terrier or Sporting breeds, but they do eat more than most breeds. Their very size can be a drawback as they galump through the house in play. Their teeth can certainly do more damage to the pillow they've stolen from the sofa than the teeth of a Chihuahua.

Hound Group
Dogs in this group are bred to run down and hunt game. Some hunt by sight, such as the Afghan Hound, Irish Wolfhound and Greyhound, while others hunt by scent, such as the Bloodhound and Basset Hound.

Within this group you will find great contrasts such as the tallest dog of all the breeds, the Irish Wolfhound and one of the shortest, the Dachshund. The swiftest of all the breeds, the Greyhound and one of the slowest, the Basset Hound. One of the loudest bayers, the Coonhound and the 'barkless' Basenji! Activity levels also vary greatly from the clownish, on the move, Whippet to the sedentary Basset.

Terrier Group
Some of the better known terriers are the Miniature Schnauzer, American Staffordshire Terriers (sometimes erroneously called 'pit bulls'), Scottish Terrier, Wire Fox Terrier and Bull Terriers, both white and colored (also sometimes erroneously called 'pit bulls').

The dogs that make up this group are, for the most part, extremely active dogs. The word, Terrier, derives from the Latin "Terre" which means earth. Terriers were bred to 'go to earth' to route out rats, fox, woodchuck, weasel and other small earth dwelling creatures. The word 'tenacity' fully describes the terrier temperament. They are fiercely loyal and courageous.

Some terriers require what is referred to as 'hand striping' to keep their coats looking good. Although this isn't required if you're not showing, it's something to be aware of. Terriers aren't always suited to multiple dog families and it's a good idea to ask lots of questions regarding each breed.

Toy Breeds
The Toy Poodle, Pomeranian, Miniature Pinscher, Pug and Yorkshire Terrier are some of the more common breeds within this group. Most toys are under 10 pounds in weight. They are bred to be pets and companions.

Because they require little room and don't eat much, they are ideal as apartment dogs. Although small, they are often longer lived that the larger breeds. Beware, however, that these dogs can often be very yappy!

Non Sporting
Bichons Frises, Chow Chow, Keeshonden, Boston Terrier and the Chinese Shar-Pei are some of the breeds that make up this group. Although most of the breeds in this group have been bred to do a certain job, they didn't fit into any other group so ended up here.

Herding
German Shepherd Dog, Collie, Australian Shepherd, Pembroke and Cardigan Welsh Corgis, and Bouvier de Flanders are a few of this group that was developed to herd livestock. Although most are larger, some, like the Australian Shepherd and Shetland Sheepdog and Corgis are of a smaller size.

Herding breeds are naturally attracted to other animals and if properly trained, get on with most other animals well. They CAN, however, be a nuisance around other animals if not properly trained, giving vent to their instinct to herd those who need no herding at the moment! They can be a very active breed needing proper outlets for their considerable energy. Few breeds are more loyal to their families and people than these dogs.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah that's right "next up we have the toy group"

ah ha........ i'm learnin somethin....

now let's clear up the head thing....... i know in my book it does say apple shaped for the breed standard head.... so where did they come up with dear?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:D sorry, i was editing the post..as to the shape I answered...it varies just like with human..but unluckily for our dear deer heads (elongated nose and deer like body, slim and long.) Apple is the one that matters at the show.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so why charge more for a dear head??? i'm new to the purebreds :) we never paid for our dog's or looked at things like this. all i know is my pit bull was going to be used as a fighter so i stole him..... and my german short hair was abandoned so i saved her. growing up we had other purebreds but they were all given to us or found and i was too young to remember them......

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:? they charge more because they have no shame and because they can... :( as simple as that..there are people out there with money to spend and there are even more people trying to get it :wink:

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Some breeders can/do charge more for whatever type of Chi they can. Some charge more for blue Chi's, some charge more for super-small Chi's, etc. Around here, deer-head Chi's seem to be cheaper while apple heads are more expensive. Probably just depends on the area and what is popular at the time. :)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Miss Molly-----your Molly is a beautiful little Chi...such a sweet face! My Bruiser and Chloe are both extremely "Apple Heads" and they seem to have more problems with reverse sneezing??? I ask my Vet about it? It is because their nose is sooo short. My Teddy, who has a longer nose has never had a problem with "reverse sneezing". :shock: Chi's are just like people come in all shapes and sizes... :D

sandra

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Yeah deers are cheaper.............here. But Boogaloo said it well its whatever they can get away with. BUYER BEWARE :evil:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
supply and demand kinda thing then..... my shih tzu mixes all have that snorting reverse sneezing thing going on. i call it piggy nose :)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sjc said:
luvmypuppet--- i have two "Applehead Chi's. My long-haired chi has a more deer shape head. Here is the link to pictures... :)
http://members.cox.net/wic7/

sandra

ohhh ok i see the difference. it was hard to tell jumping from pic to pic. thanks for posting that...... i wonder what my girl has. i think an apple.... either way the only thing that matters to me is if i can fit my lips between the nose and forehead area cause that is the best spot to plant one on em :)

(one of the boarders at my job has a big lipstick mark right there from me. i have to bring my make-up remover with me before he goes home!)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
sjc said:
luvmypuppet--- i have two "Applehead Chi's. My long-haired chi has a more deer shape head. Here is the link to pictures... :)
http://members.cox.net/wic7/

sandra
OMG I love your black n white - i have a thing for them what a precious face. I like the brown dot on the other and your long hair is very pretty

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
here's a side view of my lil bronze fox (that is what we call her until my name contest ends) 4 weeks old in the pic..... could you tell the head shape at that age??

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
apple orange dear moose, doesn't matter to me, she's cute as anything!

(spoken like a tru furbaby momma)

just wanted to make myself clear on that :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts