Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering does anyone else here suffer from bad headaches/migraine? I used to suffer from stress headaches when I was at uni but in the last 2 months I've been having these awful clamping headaches (feels like my head is in a tightening vice) and they've lasted for several days at a time. I went to the doctors who could just give me really strong painkillers and told me to get my eyes tested. Problem is I do have very good vision so I'm unsure how an eye test will help me but as I work in graphics I do have to stare at a computer screen for 8+ hours a day and I'm unsure if this is causing the problem. I've been told to stop working for the last week, which is why I haven't been able to do any graphics work at all (trust me with deadlines this is kinda stressing me out) and I have an eye test booked for Thursday, that said if they cant find anything with that I have been told an MRI scan could be a good idea (which I am petrified about I hate hospitals) to see if its anything neurological :(.

Sorry if this seems more of a mini vent but I was wondering does anyone else have these problems as it might ease my worrying slightly (I always think the worst).

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i've had migraines for about 8 years. they aren't very painful though they mostly effect my balance and vision but i do feel the pressure in my head. i do get an aura most of the time before i get one.

i'm on my computer working most of the day and sometimes this does trigger a migraine but also it causes eye strain which has made me have tunnel vision a few times. when this happens i close my eyes and rest them. i know my migraines are mostly triggered by stress.

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
i get pretty bad headaches fairly frequently :(

i work at my computer most of the day and every now and then i suffer really bad eye strain and like Jen i have to close my eyes and rest them

i also get bad headaches with the change in atmosphere pressure for a while before theres a storm i have had a really bad one the past 4 or 5 days constantly - for those headaches no amount of painkillers seem to help

·
Banned
728 Posts
Strong painkillers wont help migraines.I know sweetie as I take up to 12 painkillers a day and have suffered from migraines since my freshman year of college,1974(geesh amI old lol)).I have tried many migrain meds and finally my DR prescribed me a nin narcotic,ZOMIG,it works like a charm!Please ask your DR for a prescription,or a sample!I like imitrex to but I have high blood pressure too so I cant taake it! Good luck sweetie!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Poor you. I have had migraine all my life in my early 30's I had a weeks stay in hospital to check it out no cause medical cause was found but at least I knew I didn't have a brain tumour which was what I was beginning to think as my headaches had become very severe and long lasting. A few years later I was taking over 200 painkillers a week but nothing seemed to help then a MIRACLE was invented in the form of an injection it was called imigram and I have used this ever since, I don't use them all the time because just knowing I have them is enough usually to stop me getting stressed into a migraine that can last for 4 or more days. Have the tests just in case then ask your doctor for something that really works not just another painkiller tablet. Good luck x x

·
Registered
615 Posts
This is probably a really silly thing to say as your doc has put you on painkillers and suggested a MRI but when i got migraines the being of uni (prob stress and computer related) i was told it could be my diet i was told to avoid cheese (ouch), red wine (aww) and chocolate (double ouch!) but i did this for about 3 months and i got no more migraines - i now eat all those things regularly and i dont get em. i do think that mind over matter is involved a lot as mad dog woman mentioned - thats the psychology student in me though. Might be worth a try especially if you eat a lot of em?? Sorry if thats a silly suggestion just know i would try most things first to avoid hospital :)

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for all the support and advice everyone :) At least I find out on Thursday if it is something to do with my eyes. If not hopefully they'll be able to work out what it is via tests. Everyone is right though the painkillers dont exactly work as such the best they seem to do is take part of the edge off and make me feel sick :(

In response to *Lydz* I suffered with stress headaches/migraines all through uni but this pain is different if that makes sense because its both sides of my head unlike my stress headaches were concentrated on one side, so they did explore the diet path with me previously only thing is since last year I dont drink at all ( I gave up alcohol), I'm allergic to cheese well unless its on pizza (dont ask me why) and I dont really eat that much chocolate, well not enough to cause a problem, I have tried to cut down my caffiene in take though just incase thats causing a problem.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I'm not sure if actual migraines are tied to back problems but I know that headaches can be. How is your back?

·
Banned
705 Posts
I used to suffer with severe migraines before I had the kids. I was a legal PA at the time and spent about 7 hours a day at the computer and was under quite alot of stress. I had an MRI scan (which I must say if you are claustrophobic please arrange sedation - as I had to abandon my first attempt at MRI, feeling I couldn't breathe - but I am very claustrophobic). Since the headaches eased off a lot after giving up work to have the kids, I had assumed that it was the computer screen, but sometimes even now, if I am stressed (and with 3 kids, one a teenager - this can happen quite often) my head hurts so much I think I will pass out and I cannot even see straight when this happens, I kind of get white patches in my line of vision - very scary. My eyes are checked regularly and so it is not my vision. I think stress can cause an awful lot of health problems and if you are at a computer screen alot, perhaps that's not helping! Maybe you could take more regular "screen-breaks" if the eye test and MRI prove to be negative. Also, I find my headaches are more frequent when I am taking the contraceptive pill:confused: strangely enough! Hope you feel better soon. I know how scary and upsetting it is when you have such head pain.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kari said:
I'm not sure if actual migraines are tied to back problems but I know that headaches can be. How is your back?
umm as for back problems I dont know where to start I was born with bad hip dislocation/ no hip sockets and I had all of that sorted out when I was a baby you wouldnt know it now except for a slight limp when I get tired. But I have been left with a bad knee and a slight curveture to my spine and my hips are well set wonky (grr medical screw up) that do give me pain, I've had physio and been on and off pain killers for it since I was 18 but as long as I dont lift anything it seems to be ok atm (touch wood) I do get phantom pains in my hips and back sometimes though. So I was kinda born in the wars but I havent heard of a connetion between that and my head that could be another avenue to explore.

Thank you for all the advice and support everyone I will keep you all posted :) I'm just hoping it doesnt stop me from pursuing my career now I've finally got it all going my way.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Sarah, let us know the results of the eye tests tomorrow (Thursday). Hope the doctors find out what is causing your headaches soon.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
sounds like it could be a mixture of nerve related issues in the back (the pain sensors can missfire as "headaches", eye strain from the computer work and general stress.

Id look into a condition called cluster migranes, i suffer from these, they tend to come in waves, each migrane lasting several hours and having them mutiple times in the space fo a short time span (say a month) then they go away for a while (say 3 months) before returning. these migranes are not very common but it is somethign to talk to your doc about if the eye test shows nothing.

imatrex is a real good migrane medication and has been helping me!

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I'm back and its not my eyes :( infact I have perfect vision but when I did the light test (cant remember the name) I had to do it twice because my eyes wouldnt concentrate on where I was meant to look and they kept bluring (that said I do have the attention span of a gnat) , but they've adviced me to go back to my doctors and get a mri scan done :( I swear it just keeps getting worse.

·
Registered
307 Posts
This will sound to simple, but try taking some Sudafed for a few days. My poor DD gets hormonal migrains, but last December and January, she was laid up for almost 4 weeks with dizziness and severe migrains that would not respond to vicoden. She wasn't sick otherwise that we could tell. All she could do was lay in a dark room. She couldn't even walk around the house without dark wraparound sunglasses. Finally, they sent her in for an MRI and it came back that she had a major sinus infection in her upper sinuses. She could breath and her facial sinuses didn't hurt, but her upper sinuses were so bad that they were causing the migraines and dizziness. After about 5 days on antibiotics and Sudafed, she was much better.

So, I would say, let them do the MRI especially if you have good insurance. That is the only way we found out what was going on.

Good luck. I hope they figure out what is wrong and get you some releif.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update

Well I've got to go for blood tests on the 13th :( I'll keep everyone updated as to what happens.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
*Lydz* said:
Good luck and try not to worry yourself too much :) P.s. so you didn't have an MRI?
Nope they want to do bloodwork first or whatever grrr bloody NHS I bet its cos of money but that can only be a good thing if they arent that worried right :) oh yeah and I am now on Zombie level painkillers woohoo!!

·
Premium Member
6,744 Posts
doesnt sound too bad (in a way) in my experience if they think its something serious they rush u in, mind u MRI scans are expensive my mum had one done last year and cuz she didnt want to wait on the NHS so she paid for it herself and it was very expensive

Hope everything is ok :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts