Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if you guys have heard about this or not yet but thought I would pass it along. It is supposed to be bad and it is not a prank email like some of the one's that have been circulating the net for years. They are expecting one of the worst computer worm viruses in history to hit...please be prepared.

Just a reminder to be extra vigilant with your computers around April 1. You should download all of your virus updates as soon as you are notified and keep your computer virus programs current.

http://tech. yahoo.com/ blogs/null/ 128643
http://blogs. pcmag.com/ securitywatch/ 2009/03/will_ confickerc_ blow_up_on_ us.php

3,132 Posts
I would really like to take these horrid people into the street and run them over with a steam roller! Can't they think of HELPFUL things to do for people?!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
my local radio station , one do the dj's set her comp to april 1st and she said it was runing slow, she put it off on the virus but who knows.

my laptop sucks and is slow so i might not use it that day hopefully it will save me lol
i'm scare to set the clock to april 1st

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard that even if you shut your computer down and not use it that day, as soon as you turn it back on the worm will be waiting and will still get it. Best thing to do is make sure you have good protection and to have all of your update's downloaded;-) Someone told me that there was a really good Antivirus program called ACV I believe? I guess it would be at ACV.com?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have heard that even if you shut your computer down and not use it that day, as soon as you turn it back on the worm will be waiting and will still get it. Best thing to do is make sure you have good protection and to have all of your update's downloaded;-) Someone told me that there was a really good Antivirus program called ACV I believe? I guess it would be at ACV.com?
its avg and its free and yes it is an excellent anti virus

3,132 Posts
I dont know if you guys have heard about this or not yet but thought I would pass it along. It is supposed to be bad and it is not a prank email like some of the one's that have been circulating the net for years. They are expecting one of the worst computer worm viruses in history to hit...please be prepared.

Just a reminder to be extra vigilant with your computers around April 1. You should download all of your virus updates as soon as you are notified and keep your computer virus programs current.

http://tech. yahoo.com/ blogs/null/ 128643
http://blogs. pcmag.com/ securitywatch/ 2009/03/will_ confickerc_ blow_up_on_ us.php
The link you gave to Security Watch, is that what I need to DL to watch for the worm??? I am so confused about this PC stuff! :rolleyes: lol

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
This is all i need i had someone hack into my accounts this month on ebay and paypal and my hotmail account too

why do people feel the need to do these things

argggggggggg!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I use avast. You can get it free for the home, just google it. It's better then many programs that cost money. You may want to check and make sure your anti virus is running, apparently some variants turn it off.

@ Bailey's Mom.. some hackers do hack for good. There are groups that exist to get through to the oppressed people in China (Think Tibet), there are watchdog groups for many other causes... to make sure those in power can't strangle freedom of information. Most worms/scripts like this are written by bored bright kids... kid being anyone under 30... not actual 'hackers'. They actually call them 'script kiddies'; and they are disliked wholeheartedly.

Edit: To speed the system up use advanced system care. It gets rid of most crap and fixes errors and speeds it up. http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html
And the link for avast: http://www.avast.com/
A good free Firewall..the windows one sucks (PC Tools Free Firewall): http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

All these are free and do not have spyware/malware. I use them and I am one of the most paranoid people ever. I was hacked once... never again. I'm putting the links up so others can maybe not have to go through the hacking fun.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last night I tried to download my free trial from Mcfee that came with the computer even though I have had my computer for about 2yrs now. It said something about over the 30 days but at the same time it said it was fixing it and downloading it. How do I know if it downloaded and is working on my computer?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
McFee is crap. :p It eats ram and other resources....if it downloaded, you would have had to go through the install screen and restart your computer. It will also sometimes DL then just nag you to buy it while not doing anything useful.

I suggest either avast or AVG. Avast is one of the best out there, and I've never heard anything bad about the other.

3,132 Posts
I've DL's Avast tonight.... still trying to figure it all out. Seems a bit complicated at the moment. I have McAfee, I like it... but then again it never finds anything. lol I also have Webroot, that seems to find quite a bit. I've updated both of them, so hoping between them and the Avast, maybe I'll be safe from the worm? Who knows.... I hope my laptop doesn't become a $2000.00 paper weight, I will be SO mad!!!!

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
This is all i need i had someone hack into my accounts this month on ebay and paypal and my hotmail account too

why do people feel the need to do these things

argggggggggg!
yeah my hotmail account was haccked last month too

sooooo annoying had to change my email and everything

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
McFee is crap. :p It eats ram and other resources....if it downloaded, you would have had to go through the install screen and restart your computer. It will also sometimes DL then just nag you to buy it while not doing anything useful.

I suggest either avast or AVG. Avast is one of the best out there, and I've never heard anything bad about the other.

I think it did download. How do I uninstall?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
its avg and its free and yes it is an excellent anti virus

It seems to only be a free 30 trial like the rest of them? Is that what you mean when you say it is free?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I figured out how to uninstall the Mcfee but I am having a fit with the AVG? I have went through the 40 minute install and then nothing happened and it still isnt on my computer? I am trying to install again. The other one you suggested isnt a free trial or a I would try it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts