Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on top of her peeing issues, now since yesterday she is having very frequent loose bowel movements with mucous and a tiny bit of blood. We called the vet's office and they told us to let her tummy rest today and later we can give her some boiled chicken and starchy water. They told us to call back and come in if she gets any worse or starts changing in behavior. She's acting totally fine, she just keeps running to go potty. I feel so bad for her because I have been in the same boat with my GI issues and I know how it feels!

She hasn't gone potty for a few hours now. It seems to have settled down. I didn't feed her anything since 8pm last night and it's 2:30pm now. I am wondering if she has a beef intolerance because this is all happening while feeding her raw beef and Acana Ranchlands which is mostly beef. She ate Grasslands before which is lamb and it didn't seem to ever bother her. I have a 2.5kg bag of Ranchlands on the way but I've contacted the seller and asked if it would be possible to change my order to Grasslands instead. I think we'll have to start a trial process to see if certain foods upset Gemma's tummy.

Oh, we're also going to have to give her vitamin C in the form of effervescent tablets because there are no plain pills here. The vet said it's okay and that we just have to dissolve them in water and syringe the water down her throat. My poor girl. :(

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Poor baby. Can you get Tree Bark/Slippery Elm powder? It is great giving after upset tummies, Harley has frequent bouts of sickness/diarrhoea and a short fast and some Tree Bark powder soon sorts him out.
When you make up the vit c solution, if you just leave it to stand for a few minutes it stops fizzing. She may drink it unaided as it tastes sweet. We put effervescent vit c tablets in a bucket for doing the guinea pigs waters, and our dogs always try to drink it out of the bucket!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for wishing Gemma well. I hope she feels better soon.

Stella, I'm not sure if that's available anywhere here, but we can look around.

I have my doubts that Gemma will drink the sweet vit C water, but I was wondering if I put a piece of chicken and/or a little nutrical in the water if it would make her more interested, or if it would just be more gross to her. I am really not looking forward to trying to syringe it into her.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thank you all for wishing Gemma well. I hope she feels better soon.

Stella, I'm not sure if that's available anywhere here, but we can look around.

I have my doubts that Gemma will drink the sweet vit C water, but I was wondering if I put a piece of chicken and/or a little nutrical in the water if it would make her more interested, or if it would just be more gross to her. I am really not looking forward to trying to syringe it into her.
Try putting an icecube in there..she might try and play with it while drinking.
Feel better soon Gemma!!

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
I can send you some if you want, it is handy stuff to have in. It is about £6 or £7 for a big tub. You can probably get it online I would have thought.
Try different things to get her to drink the vit c. Remember dogs usually love things we find gross!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try putting an icecube in there..she might try and play with it while drinking.
Feel better soon Gemma!!
I wonder if I actually froze the liquid in an ice tray if she would try to lick it. She licks licking cold stuff so maybe she would lick it in ice form?

I can send you some if you want, it is handy stuff to have in. It is about £6 or £7 for a big tub. You can probably get it online I would have thought.
Try different things to get her to drink the vit c. Remember dogs usually love things we find gross!
That is a very sweet offer. We are going to look for it locally and online first. Hoping we can find some, but I have my doubts here.

My boyfriend just brought back effervescent tablets from the store and I realized they contain sorbitol, which I know can cause diarrhea. :confused: Not sure if I should try giving these to her while she already has diarrhea that we're trying to fix. Ugh.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to hear about Gemma, if you have plain white rice, boil that with the chicken and give it to her. The rice helps stop the diarrhea, it always works for us. Keep us posted!!
We've got some porridge rice that they recommended. They told us to first boil a bit of it in extra water so that there is just starchy water to try to give her, then we can try giving her solids like the porridge and some boiled chicken if she seems to be doing better. They told us we should let her tummy settle before trying to feed her again.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope sweet little Gemma is feeling better today....hugs to her...
pure pumpkin can be helpful with GI issues...either diarrhea or constipation...
Thanks, Kathleen. She's doing a little better but still having loose stools with mucous. I hope she doesn't have worms or something even worse like colitis.

I know about the pumpkin trick, but there is no pumpkin in Sweden. Canned or fresh, it doesn't exist. The only place I've heard of it being is at a specialty store called the "English Shop" and it's only located in big cities like Stockholm and Göteborg, which we are not close to.

I would't give a dog sorbitol. (or any other artificial sweetener, nasty things) We just get them from the cheapy supermarkets over here (like Lidl) and they don't have anything dodgy in them.
That's what I thought, Stella. I was like umm, this has artificial sweetener in it, we should not give her this. Apparently sorbitol is in some dog products like toothpaste but I still don't believe in any creature consuming artificial sweeteners, plus they have a laxative effect which is the last thing Gemma needs right now.

The vet said that the pharmacy should have regular vitamin c pills, so we're going to check again tomorrow. If they don't have regular pills, maybe they have chewable tablets instead that I can just slip into a piece of chicken and she won't notice.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol, Gemma wouldn't drink the starchy water even when I boiled chicken with it to give it a chicken flavor, so I just went ahead and gave her chicken and rice in the water and she's not liking it. She must be one of the pickiest dogs in the world.

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Lol, Gemma wouldn't drink the starchy water even when I boiled chicken with it to give it a chicken flavor, so I just went ahead and gave her chicken and rice in the water and she's not liking it. She must be one of the pickiest dogs in the world.
Poor baby! Maybe she doesn't have an appetite. I hope she comes around! My Lola is really picky but she loves chicken and rice. Maybe she will like it if it's not so runny?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a warning - vitamin C can cause the shits if a dog isn't used to it. It needs to be introduced slowwwwly :)
Oh damn, thank you for the warning. Maybe I should try to calm down her diarrhea first before giving her much vit c. I want to see if the chicken and rice actually helps, then there's a better chance of knowing if it's a food intolerance or if something more serious is going on.

Get well soon Gemma bug!
Thank you. :)

Poor baby! Maybe she doesn't have an appetite. I hope she comes around! My Lola is really picky but she loves chicken and rice. Maybe she will like it if it's not so runny?
She actually ate it after I fed her a few pieces by hand and she figured out that it was okay. She lapped up all the water too so that was good. I'm hoping the starch helps her like the vet's office said it would.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Didn't read all posts so forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else has said.

Chicken wings, the bone will firm her up.
Steamed pumpkin if you can't get the USA type canned pumpkin, or a jar of babyfood pumpkin.
Plain natural yoghurt.

I got exactly what you're describing after feeding raw beef, if seems there's many that can't take it from what I've read, I can't help but wonder why on earth that is, you'd think that meat is meat really, be it lamb, goat, pork. I gave mine diced pork pieces the other day and none of them would touch it. Thank goodness for ZP, which I thought is what you'd switched to, what with all this grasslands, ranchlands stuff?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.