Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to post under health but my posts are restricted because I'm a new member.
a few years back, Coco came downstairs, and out of the blue, crying and walking arched back, trying to hide.
try to pick her up and she yelps.
5 minutes later, she's fine acting as nothing wrong.

I noticed that day she didn't pass as much stools
took her to emerg vet clinic, xrays, nothing showed but gas in bowels. Enema and she was fine. She wasn't constipated but I asked for this.

Again a month ago, similar pattern. Got up, all good, came downstairs, yelp, I thought maybe her back? or her luxating pattella? no ideal. I gave her a full body patdown, and she's fine. Since, I've been rubbing her belly, back, legs, neck, everything, no pain. episodes last maybe 30 min? then she is all better again. When this happens, she doesn't eat but then when better she does. When in pain? she walks with arched back, head down, tail down. I can't tell if it's back/neck or gut issues. I was gone last week and when I came back I saw water dish empty, maybe dehydrated?
I always add water to her kibbles, now adding even more. She loooooves her food! NOT picky at all (lucky me!)
Again, noticed not pooping as much, so maybe constipation?

Back to the vet, blood test this time and another xray, I was really worried about bloat. Nothing showed up. it tough because it's on and off, no rhyme or reason. Wondering if it could be gas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might need to add some quality wet canned food to her diet. Hope she doesn't have anymore of these episodes!

·
Registered
117 Posts
The forum software is set up so that you have to make three posts in the member introductions before you can access the rest of the site. I'm really glad that you had the sense to post an emergency question as an intro, because this is an emergency.

I raw feed my girls, so I can't really help other than to second Izzie's suggestion. It's great that Coco isn't a picky eater, because you never know what life might throw at you, but dehydration can be serious and you really can't make kibble without more carbs than canines actually need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't tried the raw diet, but I make a homemade cooked diet for my babies. I got the recipe from a book written by the naturopathic vet, Dr. Becker. She has recipes for raw diets in the book too. She also has a lot of videos on You Tube on a variety of subjects. I usually feed mine 1 to 2 meals of the homemade food and leave a bowl of Science Diet kibble out for them also. They are all a good weight at this time. If they start putting on weight I will remove the kibble. The kibble does have too many carbs. So far these guys are very healthy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts