Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

We have a 6 year old chihuahua and just yesterday we took him to the VET because he had like a constant noise in the back of his throat and was constantly like sneezing... At times during the night we can hear him having slight difficulty in breathing and being like a bit anxious himself...

On taking him to the Vet yesterday he confirmed he had some growth tissue in the back of his throat and that this was not even documented on textbooks...

I am therefore making a posting here to see if some good soul can offer us advise if they have encountered this same problem or has heard about it..

The vet said operation was not a viable solution due to the amount of blood vessels in that area... and that all we had to do is take care of him... not to excite him or make him do any strenuous exercises as this can eventually affect his heart and reduce his lifespan... His heart is okay at the moment but we don't know how much the growth of tissue increases over time as it has just been detected.. He was given an injection of cortisone yesterday, and our VET was going to a convention of VET's in the UK and was going to bring up the subject about his condition because as I mentioned earlier on, he says it is not documented on any textbook.

As you can imagine the whole family is devastated on hearing this and I am therefore writing here to seek advise...and help from any of you..

My thanks to all who have taken the time to read this posting..

God Bless..


Regards


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
I have not heard of this. My first thought when reading your first paragraph and his symptoms would have been collapsing trachea.

Can they do a biopsy of the growth and at least see what it is?

If he were mine, I would get a second opinion. I would not settle for just "watch and see".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,960 Posts
I, too, would have thought collapsing trachea from the descripton you provided.
I completely agree with Brody's mom, a second opinion is definitely called for at this point. Blessings, Deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
I will also add my voice to the second opinion option. There's no reason for you to just settle for this diagnosis, especially since it appears to be a condition that isn't common. I urge you to make another appointment with a different Vet and see if you can't get additional information.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,989 Posts
Get a second opinion! ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies....

I am certainly going to do that... I am just waiting also to see what the other VET's in the UK have to say about this...

I did read yesterday on the internet about the collapsed trachea but to be honest he did not mention anything about that... but rather the tissue growth he had....

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies....

I am certainly going to do that... I am just waiting also to see what the other VET's in the UK have to say about this...

I did read yesterday on the internet about the collapsed trachea but to be honest he did not mention anything about that... but rather the tissue growth he had.... May I add he had x'rays done also...

Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,071 Posts
I would ask for a biopsy of the tissue. I would also get a second opinion. Without knowing what the tissue is, I don't see how they can provide a prognosis. I would find the very best Vet hospital in your area, and go there to see if you can get more info.

Wishing your baby the best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
I agree with what everyone else has said. I also would caution you not to just go to the vet down the street for a second opinion. If you are going to the trouble to get another look at your dog, I'd make it with an expert. If there are any veterinary colleges near you, they are a good place to start for a referral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Unfortunately we only have one VET clinic in my area... I am reading right now about collapsed trachea and to be honest it is exactly the same symptoms as my Chihuahua has.... I'll post link here...

*forum link removed - sorry you're not allowed to link to other forums*

I am really so worried now thinking he has misdiagnosed... :(

**Apologise for posting link, and thanks for removing it..**
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
I didn't see your link, but you can also go to youtube and put in collapsing trachea and see examples of dogs that have it and what it sounds/looks like.

Actually, I would hope for a misdiagnosis as a tumor or growth in the back of the throat sounds very ominous.

Collapsing trachea can be managed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Many thanks for your kind replies and wise advice... though at the same time your replies gives us some form of hope we have more worries now about being mis-diagnosed we do know that the collapsed trachea is a serious condition but maybe there are ways one can take care of him right??? either with medication and constant care... which he certainly has and in abundance.. if this is the case any suggestions would be gladly accepted...... for us he is part of the family... It is amazing the love and affection they give you... and getting this news has been a great blow.

Thanks again for your comments as i said any piece of advise would certainly come in handy as one cannot think right in times like this....

God Bless you all for your quick responses and replies...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
I would certainly get a second opinion, and from a veterinary college. You don't want just another general practitioner, you need a specialist.

You don't say where you are located but you did say that there is just one vet in your area. You may have to drive a little but I'm sure there are other clinics fairly close. I wouldn't think twice about a 4-5 hour drive if I needed to in order to get the answer for one of my dogs.

Did the vet take x-rays? Sometimes collapsing trachea can be seen on x-rays. Was your dog awake when he was being examined? Might be worth it to have him sedated for a better look and perhaps a biopsy.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,960 Posts
I would certainly get a second opinion, and from a veterinary college. You don't want just another general practitioner, you need a specialist.

You don't say where you are located but you did say that there is just one vet in your area. You may have to drive a little but I'm sure there are other clinics fairly close. I wouldn't think twice about a 4-5 hour drive if I needed to in order to get the answer for one of my dogs.

Did the vet take x-rays? Sometimes collapsing trachea can be seen on x-rays. Was your dog awake when he was being examined? Might be worth it to have him sedated for a better look and perhaps a biopsy.

Good luck!

Excellent advice.. Our closest veterinary college is about 2 and a half hours from where we live... but I have made that trip on more than one occasion. There must be a facility available, and I would make any trip necessary.. in fact our vet actually referred us to the vet college at the University here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about not mentioning where I am. I am in Gibraltar and Gibraltar has only one veterinary clinic.... my other option would be to try and find one over in Spain... across the border.. but do not know of any specialists over there...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,755 Posts
This must be so scary for you emotionally.. sorry I can't offer any help but I do agree with the others, if you can manage to travel then try and get a second opinion, if that is just not feasible go back to the original vet and tell him you want a second examination to see if the condition is actually a collapsed Trachea.
If he refuses push him hard to do as you ask
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
809 Posts
If you had x-rays done then you can have those along with a history and written up physical exam sent to a veterinary college or a specialist, even in another country. That way the specialist can take a look at what's already been done and make recommendations for you. Then if the second opinion thinks they can help him you can think about traveling with him for help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
omguthrie thanks for advise will do that also.. I am in the process of calling a VET in Spain this morning also around Cadiz area to inquire with him and and if need be travel there so he can take a look and give me this second opinion...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can anybody tell me (if it is Collapsed Trachea) can he live with that?? is his lifespan reduced? whats the best care ?? the problem is he really has character and wants nobody around us or in the house... so I know this can have negative effects on him as he gets excited easily...
Would be nice to hear your comments and advise

Thanks again
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top