Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is long and I have 14 questions but if your dog has heart disease can you please read all of this and help me?

My 7 year old Chihuahua was just diagnosed with mild, early stage heart disease. We saw a vet who went to Cornell and has studied additionally in cardiology but she is not a board certified cardiologist. We are sending the heart sonogram pictures to cardiologists at a university as a second opinion. The vet prescribed Enalapril and for my dog to take it two times a day for the rest of her life and said that later on she will need to take more medications.
>>1. Does anyone have a dog that takes Enalapril? I want to get personal experience on how your dog/dogs are doing on this medication and if it helped.
>>2. Did your dog have any negative reactions to the medicine?
>>3. What are some things I should know about this medicine?
Obviously the vet answered all these questions for me but I know from personal experience that doctors don't always tell patients everything and every side effect.
My dog has not started on the medication yet because we are waiting to see what the university doctors say and what medicine they recommend. The vet said it is fine to wait a little while because the disease is so mild.

>>4. Another question I have is should my dog really see an actual cardiologist? There is only one cardiologist near me and we did see her but she was extremely rude and just strangely mean to us and would not do the sonogram without sedating my dog (which is dumb because my dog did just fine getting a sonogram done without being sedated yesterday). That is why we took her to a vet who just has a cardiologist specialty and will be mailing the sonogram pictures to university cardiologists.

>>5. Also what diet do you feed your dog? I wanted to give my dog Honest Kitchen because it is real food but the vet said not to because it has too much water content and dogs with heart disease cannot have too much water.
>>6. How can I feed my dog better without giving her dehydrated food? I am willing to cook for my little dog but I cannot find a realistic cook book that is also grain free.
>>7. Where can I find recipes for dog food that meet AAFCO requirements?

I am going to be calling all the holistic vets in my area to see if they can help.
>>8. My question is, do any of you with dogs that have heart disease take them to a holistic vet?
>>9. Did the holistic vet help?
>>10. What sort of supplements did they tell your dog to take?
>>11. Did the holistic vet have you change your dog's diet?

>>12. And my most important question: Have any of you reversed your dog's heart disease or have you heard of anyone who has? I believe that in most cases, all diseases can be cured so I really want to cure my dog's heart disease. I have a disease and many conditions that doctors say is incurable but I have read enough stories of people who have cured themselves to know that what doctors told me is not true. So I can't help but think my dog's mild heart disease can be cured.

>>13. If my dog does get cured of heart disease, can she stop taking the medication? Or is she going to become so reliant on it that she won't be able to ever stop taking it even if she does not have heart disease anymore?

>>14. Did you get your dog's teeth cleaned while they have heart disease? I am nervous to take my dog in to get a dental because of the anesthesia. Her teeth are building up some tartar and the vet said she can get a dental but I know that lots of dogs die during dental cleanings so I am just not sure if my tiny dog would be able to handle getting put under.

I know this is really long and I have lots of questions but that you for reading and helping! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The vet says that my dog should take 2.5mg of enalapril twice a day. How much does anyone else's dog have to take? 2.5 seems like a lot. I looked online and children are only supposed to take .08mg so it seems weird that my tiny 5-6 pound dog would take 5mg a day.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
Holy moly that's a lt of questions. I know nothing about heart disease but I do know hollistic vets are very pricey. I had to fork over $700 last time for a blood panel testing a,d nutrition testing . Just bumpin this so u can get more insight from other members

·
Premium Member
5,887 Posts
Hi! I'm sorry to heart about your baby!! Does he have congestive heart failure?? Is he retaining a lot of fluid??
I can't answer all of your questions but I am in the medical field so I will try to help!

Enalapril is an ace inhibitor used to help reduce the progression of heart failure. The starting dose for humans can be as low as 2.5mg. Is ur dog retaining a lot of fluid? My mom's mini pin was diagnosed after her passed out randomly one day. He had loads of fluid retention and they gave his lasix (diuretic) and enalapril.

One of my best friends owns a holistic dog boutique and she recommended we change his food to canine caviar special needs so we did.

I know there are a few members on here who went through the same thing. Did you try searching previous threads???

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Does he have congestive heart failure?? Is he retaining a lot of fluid?? "
No she doesn't have heart failure. Her heart is functioning just fine except for a little bit of disease on a couple valves. I don't think she is retaining water. She has no outward signs of a heart problem. Her new vet just heart a slight murmur. If we hadn't changed vets I wouldn't even know she has heart disease.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts