Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It's my 1st time on this site. Our 10yr old has got a very severe heart murmur. He has been on medication a couple of yrs now. These past 3months it has got a fair bit worse. He's meds have been upped and changed. His breaths pm are quite high now. On a day to day basis he can seem ok to us. But can also go down hill rapidly. Obviously we don't want him to suffer but we think it's harsh for the vets to put him to sleep. As advised this would be the next step. Has anybody got any experience with this? Dealt with this? I just don't know what to do for the best 馃ズ

Registered
I had my sweet girl for 11 years I had no idea she had a heart murmur and enlarged heart till I took her to have her teeth cleaned and they heard the murmur and did a chest X-ray
I did all I could put her on meds I also took her to a holistic vet who put her on other natural things
Her heart was too far gone I guess for anything to help One night she just could barely breathe You will know when time is right to let him go 馃挃

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my sweet girl for 11 years I had no idea she had a heart murmur and enlarged heart till I took her to have her teeth cleaned and they heard the murmur and did a chest X-ray
I did all I could put her on meds I also took her to a holistic vet who put her on other natural things
Her heart was too far gone I guess for anything to help One night she just could barely breathe You will know when time is right to let him go 馃挃
Did U let her go to sleep at home with you? I wish my little man would go to sleep with me because then I would think that he wanted to go if that makes sense and not that I made him go.

Registered
Did U let her go to sleep at home with you? I wish my little man would go to sleep with me because then I would think that he wanted to go if that makes sense and not that I made him go.
That was my constant wish that she鈥檇 just go on her own next to me but unfortunately I had to bring her to the emergency vet because one night she couldn鈥檛 breathe and was suffering 馃挃

Registered
I just put my Billy Blue Boy to sleep. He had severe CHF, too. He was suffering and I loved him too much to see him struggled to breathe. He could barely walk over to me that morning and once I picked him up, he was cold and he couldn鈥檛 raise his head. So, I lovingly let him go.

Registered
Jett; chiweenie, 8y. Harry; chihuahua, 5m.
I lost my girl Ruby to CHF a couple of days after Christmas. I had been told 6 months earlier that she had a mild heart murmur, but it was nothing to worry about yet.
She went downhill so very fast, I honestly had no idea her condition was so dire. She had gone off her food for a day and she atarting breathing quickly in the evening while we were 3 hours from home staying with family for the holidays. We were leaving the next day so I got up early to call the vet to make an appointment for her when we got home around lunch time. They said they were quite full and to take her to the emergency vet. By the time we got there, the vet nurse took one look at her and whisked her inside. This was during covid restrictions so owners weren't allowed inside unless it was an emergency. They let me come in and see her, and she fought so so hard, but after being brought back with CPR twice I had to make the heartbreaking decision to ease her passing. Not a day goes by that I don't miss her.

Now, my boy Jett is on medication, because after the trauma with Ruby I took him for a checkup and they discovered he too had a grade 4 heart murmur. After his echocardiogram they said we caught it at just the right time and hopefully with the medication it will be a non-issue. 馃

I realise I haven't really got any advice, other than trust your instincts and do what you think is best. Sending lots of love, it's not easy. 鉂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts