Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like to get everyone's opinion on Heartgard before I give it to my babies. The vet gave me Heartgard Plus 68 mcg ivermectin and 57 mg pyrantel aspamoate salt. They are these huge chewable pills, and my boys are only 5 lbs and 2.6 lbs. I'm afraid to give them the whole thing. I also vaguely remember something in the news about some heartworm preventative killing some dogs, but don't remember what it was. These pills say they are for dogs up to 25 lbs, so I wonder if I should only give part of the pill? Has anyone ever done that or is that not enough medicine to help? I don't know...please help :dontknow:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have used heartguard chewables before, and they got the whole thing. They have different dosages for different weight brackets. They vet should have given you the one in the blue package (I think it's blue :?: ). The one for small dogs. The heartworm preventative they pulled off the shelves was the shot that the dogs got every 6 months. Can't remember the name of it, but its not heartguard. Just check with your vet and make sure of what THEY want you to do for YOUR dogs. :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo takes interceptor and like joe beans said it should have a weight guided pill..... :D

I have heard bad things I think about Heartguard...definately PROHeart 6 that kills.......if I did hear bad things check out I-dog message board...and do a search.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes! ProHeart, thats the name of that injection that they pulled off the market because there were related deaths. My sister's dogs got it earlier this year and she tried to talk me into getting it for Chiquita, glad I didn't, but her dogs are fine. :dontknow:

·
Registered
238 Posts
The vet put Chico on Interceptor for dogs 2-10lbs. It's a chewable flavor tabs about the size of an aspirin. The last heartworm pills I used was Heartguard so I asked the vet about those. He said he quit using them because of all the dosage problems for small dogs but they worked good for bigger dogs.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Shot pulled from market...

It was the heartworm shot that was pulled from the market. It was killing the BIG dogs. Apparently the proportions hadn't been judged properly for the larger dogs. My Dobbie had the shot at the SPCA and my vet told me that I didn't have to worry about the one he got in June. (Of course, he won't get anymore of them!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts