Chihuahua People Forum banner

heartworm preventation

855 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  PEANUTBUTTERNJELLY 
#1 ·
do all vets rec.to retest your dog every 2 years to continue heartworm preventation?

#9 ·
i get the bloodwork ups done often but my thing is if they are on the heartworm prevention then why do they need the heartworm test? if their first heartworm test was negative and then you get them on the prevention what need is the test if you keep up with the monthly prevention?

#10 ·
luv4mygirls said:
i get the bloodwork ups done often but my thing is if they are on the heartworm prevention then why do they need the heartworm test? if their first heartworm test was negative and then you get them on the prevention what need is the test if you keep up with the monthly prevention?
Is it possible the heartworm stuff isn't always 100% effective? Or if someone gives the monthly dosage a few days late or even skips a month, the dog could become infected? :dontknow:

#11 ·
:roll: i think maybe all the vets want is to get some money for this test plus the preventation.than what is the preventation given for if you still need to retest them i guess its not 100% affective i am not sure but i have heard different vets some do retest others do not and simpling say that chis don't need it like a neighbors chi she spends nore time outside than my to girls.

#12 ·
if you take your dog out for walks and their usually outside then they should be on heartworm prevention medicine...the vet said that they should get retested every year just to be safe and that if i wanted to i could stop during the winter since mosquitos and stuff arent in season or keep going..i guess it all depends on the vet but i rather be safe than sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.