Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Lacey's finally going into heat. She smells like a disgusting fish market and she keeps licking her lady parts (which makes her usual poop-stench breath smell like FISHY POOP) -gag-. She's also extra skittish and being a bit of a loner. She won't even let me brush her or snuggle her. Any suggestions of ways I can make her feel more calm/comfortable? Her Thundershirt's been useless the past couple days and she's so whiney when I'm out of sight, even though she doesn't want my company. :(

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Are you gonna spay her after she is done with her heat? I'd just leave her to ask for what she wants during the heat. If she wants cuddling, she'll ask! Sue

·
Banned
177 Posts
they dont smell when they are in heat :S... fishy smell would make me think her anal glands need doing.

You cant really miss it when they go into season they blow up by balloons.. yes their behaviour can change but its not normally tht huge..

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you gonna spay her after she is done with her heat? I'd just leave her to ask for what she wants during the heat. If she wants cuddling, she'll ask! Sue
Yes, I'm planning to have her spayed about 3 months after the heat. The vets I've spoken to say that's when there's the least internal swelling and the surgery should go the smoothest. ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh-HA! I was right! There's a little bloody mary over here, and she does NOT like her doggy diapers the breeder had given us. They're an XXS and they're so bulky that she can't walk properly with them on (she even tried walking on only her front feet. She only got a couple inches each time she tried, but I can't have her doing handstands for days, now can I? HAHA)
Can anyone recommend some more comfortable ones? Preferably something I don't have to order online, as I need them as of...oh...a few hours ago?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
to stay on topic, when is the right time to spay? Should it be done before the first heat? Just wondering bc Miya is almost 6 months and I'd like to it soon.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to stay on topic, when is the right time to spay? Should it be done before the first heat? Just wondering bc Miya is almost 6 months and I'd like to it soon.
Yes, ideally, it should be done before their first heat. With each heat you allow them to go through, their risk of uterine (sp?) infection increases and cancer risks increase. At least, that's my understanding of what I've been told/have read.
I would have had Lacey spayed long before if I had owned her! Glad to know I can make her appointment for May, now, though and she won't have to go through this EVER again. She's miserable. :(

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I was told its best to do before first heat. The only reason I didn't was because Bailey was so small I was too scared. Now I wish I hadn't waited.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
When Bambi was in season I bought her human baby vests and just cut a hole for her tail to go through. They are really cheap (£3 for a pack of three) and the newborn size fit perfectly. (she is quite small, just over 4lbs)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts