Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ya
Summers here :):):) what a heatwave 8)
My tyke has been getting really HOT, hes not wanting to walk anywhere inless its in the shade! and is drinking a hell of alot
and is now sleeping on are wood floor at night (i guess its cooler on there)
any tips on how to keep him cool on HOT summer days....?????
im buying a fan this week so that should help him keep cool
i know your ment to bath him every 4weeks..but is it ok for him to take a dip in paddeling pool when he feels like it..????
and do dogs have there toungs out to keep cool..???
thank you
star x

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
When I lived in Florida and it was the peak of summer, I use to let my dogs play in a kiddie pool. I filled it about 4 inches just to cool them off and they loved it. When dogs are hot, they do stick their tongue out and pant.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I noticed many people from the UK say it's very hot right now. I remember when I lived there back in the 80s, it must have rained 364 out of the 365 days of the year. I don't recall much heat though. Is it getting worse over time?

You'll have to post some pics when you get the kiddie pool. My dogs use to dig in the water. The kiddie pool was made of hard plastic so they couldn't puncture it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its ment to be the hotest summer we have ever had here in the uk 8) tho we are due some rain soon as it always rains when the tennis is on..lol and then when the tennis is over they say its going to be hotter then it is now :roll:
when i get some pics i will post them up :wave:
star x

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I get Gadget's bandana wet and then put it on him... it keeps him nice and cool... He loves it on hot days.... I want to take him to the river snd let him play in it... It just hasn't been warm enough (the water that is).

it should be warm enough in a few days... we are supose to be geting hot weather again......

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Yeah my 2 are the same star - they just dont know what to do with theirselves - I have a fan on for them but Ozzy is scared of it lol :lol: I brought a paddling pool last summer and they hated it :lol:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I tell you what we have had some freak weather Noah it was like 34 degrees the day before yesterday and then it went cloudy like it was going to rain - but still so hot and sticky and then it started thundering and "HAILING" and this was hail the size of golf balls - how is this possible in the middle of June on a scorching hot day :shock:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I tell you what we have had some freak weather Noah it was like 34 degrees the day before yesterday and then it went cloudy like it was going to rain - but still so hot and sticky and then it started thundering and "HAILING" and this was hail the size of golf balls - how is this possible in the middle of June on a scorching hot day
That is really some odd weather. I think several countries are experiencing odd weather. Here in VA, the weather has been in the 80s and low 90s, but 2 nights ago, it went down to 65, then was only 70 the following day. I'm not complaining though. I think it's funny people up here tell me "Oh my, this heat is unbarable and the humidity is awful" then they ask me where I moved from and I tell them Florida. Florida is SO much worse that I'm actually enjoying the VA weather. There is a nice cool breeze and the humidity isn't anywhere near Florida humidity.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I live in West Palm Beach....(hurricane city last year!!) :roll:

It's really hot here all year long...but it starts to really cook around April through Early October....

I bought these really cute doggy bone cookie cutters...you know those new ones made out of rubber? So I fill them up with water and freeze them...so when he starts to get really hot I give him a doggy bone ice cube...he loves them!! I also rinse his paws with cold water...I know for humans if you put cold water on your feet, pulse points, its an instant cool down...so I imagine it's the same with our little furbabies...He loves it too!!

My biggest problem now with all this rain we've been getting is mosquitos!!! :evil:

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
It is sooooooooooooooooooo HOt hear now!!!! Like in the upper 90's I HATE HATE the heat make me cranky, my babies seem to love basking in the sun!!!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Having lived in Florida for over 35 years, I should be used to the heat and humidity. But every summer it just seems to get worse. I do have central heat and air, and just have to keep it running in the summer. Then when the electric bill comes, I almost have a heart attack!

Jasmine doesn't enjoy going out as much now that it's so hot. She would rather stay in the nice cool house. :lol:

The weather you are having in the UK is strange - I always thought it stayed relatively cool there in the summer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My husband is from Welwyn Garden City. He was there for last summer's heat wave. We both agree it is getting really bad there. Although we live in Houston now, my husband is having an awful time with the heat. I'm used to it though. Our chi's actually love the heat. They beg to go out on the porch so that they can bask in the sun!

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Lily loves the heat but I know chi's can easily get overheated. She will never, ever drink when we're out walking so on hot days I keep pouring water over her head and neck.

At her daycare they have wading pools and she's "accidentally" gone in a couple times. She'll be chasing another dog and if they run into the pool, there goes Lily right after them. And she hops right out again with a very surprised look on her face. :shock:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all your help..ive got lots of tips :)
i also got a spary bottle..and ive been sparying him to keep him cool..hes likes it he thinks its a game..lol i spary and he jumps up in to the air into the sparying water...bless
thank you
star

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Lina doesn't like to go outside in the heat unless she can sit in the shade. I don't take her for walks anymore until the starts going down. But, I intend on getting a kiddie pool for my two little ones and I think Lina will take to it very well. She absolutly looooves taking her bath, so it won't be much different lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts