Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where I'm supposed to post this thread to, I looked for a board that was for "sick" furkids but didn't see it, so I hope it's ok to post this here. Maggy and I are new here and I'm desperate at the moment. Mags isn't a full chihuahua, she's part chihuahua and part yorkie, I also hope it's ok that we're here in this forum since she isn't full chihuahua. I've got a very heavy heart right now and it's just getting heavier. On Christmas Eve of this year, we had to give our very loved boxer son "Isaiah" back to God. We had him for 10 years and he couldn't be anymore our son if I gave birth to him myself. We lost him to cutaneous lymphomasarcoma, cancer.... We're all heartsick here and trying to deal with the loss of him the best we know how, but it isn't easy by any means. Mags started 3 days ago not wanting to eat normally. I mean, she's eating, but not like she normally does. Normally I feed her twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening. Isaiah didn't live with my husband and I the last year of his life. Even though he was ours, he chose our son as his best buddy in the world, so when our son married and got a house of his own, we let Isaiah go live with him, but he was here a lot as well. Mags knew him very well but like I said, wasn't attached to Isaiah as we all were, although she did like him. When it came to Isaiahs final days, Bub and our daughter in law came back home with Isaiah, they stayed here with us for a few weeks, Mags seen Isaiah in the shape he was and everything. But now, starting 3 days ago, she's not wanting to eat normally. She's always ate soon as I put her food down to her, she eats it all right then and there and doesn't leave any. I know that animals have bonds wit human and I know they can feel their hurt and pain. Do you think me being so stressed and hurting right now could be the cause of Mags not wanting to eat all her food? I've been trying to get her to eat her food since 10:00 this morning, it's now 3:44 and she still has yet to finish it. I've got karo on hand and did put a fingertip full on her mouth today, I don't want to take any chances on her going hypoglycemic. She's 5 pounds 13 ounces. I've taken her temp the last two days, yesterday it was 100.7 and today it's 101.5 all within normal range. I've checked her mouth to make sure there's no sores in there, I don't see any obvious things. Her gums are nice and pink, she's drinking water, it's just her not wanting to eat right. She'll get a piece of kibble in her mouth, sometimes she'll eat it, other times she'll spit it back out. I feed her Wellness Just For Puppy. Our vet recommended to never switch her to adult dog food because when I tried earlier in her life, it landed her in intensive care with IV's having to be ran, her lil system just couldn't take it. She has a compromised immune system due to horrid conditions she came from as a baby. The first 6 months of her life was spent on meds to get her well. I don't know if I'm just over reacting and scared something will go horribly wrong with her because we just lost Isaiah, or if she's mourning with us or if us being so hurt and upset is affecting her. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Soon as our vet opens on Monday I'm taking her in.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Sounds like she's a little feverish (low grade). They definitely know when we feel sad, happy, angry or sick. How old is she? Sounds like you should have her checked out on Monday, but I would keep an eye on her temperature. I wouldn't switch her to adult food til she's at least 1 year. I would definitely get her on a high quality puppy food being she was so sick at an early age. Keep up informed on her progress.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Sounds like she is a typical chi and very sensitive to her owners moods. It sounds pretty sad at your house right now and your depression and sadness over the loss of your boxer (and her buddy) has probably manifested in her not wanting to eat. Time should help. But in the meantime, try some beech nut baby food, boiled chicken, canned food, etc. to try and get some calories into her. It's important that she eat. Some dogs will eat their regular kibble with a little warm water on it or you could add just a spoonful of warmed low sodium chicken or beef broth to it.

I doubt she will have hypoglycemia at her size, but it's a good thing to keep an eye out for.

Maybe try and cheer things up by taking her for a walk, or throwing a ball, playing tug of war or some other game she likes. They really pick up on our feelings and sounds like she needs to know that everything is going to be OK again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just looked at her vet records to be sure of her age, she's actually 3 yrs. and 1 month old now. Our vet has always told us normal range for a dogs temp is 100.5 - 102.5, she's within that range. She is still eating her food, just not like she normally does. She normally eats it all just as soon as I put it in front of her, never ever takes hours to eat it like she's doing now. She's already on a high quality dog food, "Wellness Just For Puppy." I can't switch her off that ever. I tried to before when she was a lil over a year old and it landed her in the intensive care unit at our vets with IV's. Her system couldn't handle the change at all, I even tried doing the change very slowly as I have with our previous furkids, knowing a hard switch can cause lots of problems, I've always switched them slowly. Anyhow, our vet said to never switch her off the puppy formula she's on now, it wouldn't hurt her at all, I'd just need to adjust the amount she gets when she gets older, which I've done and she's always been fine with it. She finally did finish her food that she got this morning, but it took her hours to eat it. Going to be heading to the vet with her first thing Monday morning to see what the doc says. I just wished I knew what's going on with her, if she's sick or mourning with us. Just scared here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BrodysMom,
Thank you so much for your reply and advice, it is so very much appreciated, more than I can ever say. It's been pretty sad at our house for a few weeks. We had a biposy done on Isaiah that was inconclusive (fine needle) so we had to go with another biopsy (punch biopsy) and it seemed to take forever to get the results back. Within that time of waiting on results, things got progressivly worse with Isaiah and the cancer just ran through his whole body and it was heart wretching for all of us. So yes, it's been sad here for a few weeks. Although it's hard, the last two days I've really tried to get through the day without crying, haven't managed it yet, but when I know it's coming and I can't stop it, I go outside or in the bathroom so Maggy doesn't see it and hear it. I ran to the store earlier to get a few things and bought her chew toy while I was out, she really loves these, they're the bone kind with treats in the middle. I've been talking to her in a happy, happy tone to try and trick her into knowing everythings ok. I've got down on the floor and played with her, tossed her lil stuffed ball to her and she'll go get it and bring it back. I even took her out on her leash today for some much needed fresh air and a walk in our yard. She pooed and it was normal, nothing runny or anything like that. No foreign objects in her poo (been checking the past few days to be fore sure.) I know if she had a blockage she'd be having the runs and she doesn't have any of that. It's just got me scared with her not eating like she normally does, it NEVER takes her hours to eat. I've got boneless skinless chicken breast and rice on hand that I had to get for Isaiah when he was with us. I'll cook some of that up and have it ready incase she totally stops eating her kibble. I just pray that everythings ok with her and us trying to stay happy and in high fake spirits for her will make her start eating right again.

~Tracy~

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So sorry for your loss. try a little warm boiled chicken and rice. maybe feed off your finger till you get maggy going. I also keep a tube of high calorie, mutli vitamin paste on hand for my little senior girl who has problems, sometimes after alittle of that she will go ahead and eat regular food. good luck and keep us posted how things go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much Chi's R Me. I have the chicken and rice on hand so if she stops eating completely, I can try this.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Sorry for your loss :(

One of my Chi's is very sensitive and if anything upsets me or my partner he is poorly ( not eating-sick-upset tummy-rumble tummy etc ) I'm sure little Maggy will be eating
again soon , maybe she just needs a little time .. Thinking of you x

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Sorry for your loss dear.

We'll be thinking of Mags, you've been given good advice here and it sounds like you know what to do. Just try to be as cheery as you can to her, they're very receptive.

When I lost my Gran this year my Gretel didn't move from my side one bit. She followed me everywhere, slept on my feet, at all times she needed to be touching me. Like she needed me, but I needed her and she knew it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Amanda for your reply. It sure sounds like you've been right where we are. Mags ate yesterday evening fine (she actually ate her whole feeding). I was so happy that she just ate that you'd have thought I just won a million bucks! She sleeps with me every night all snuggled into my chest, and this morning, she sounded like she was a bit off key with her sounds she makes letting me knows she's ready to get up and get out into the livingroom and start the day. I got up to feed her and give her fresh water, but, she wasn't interested in her food. So, I got her an ice cube and put it into her water and got her to drink a lil. I played with her for a few and then tried encouraging her to eat. She did eat some, but not all of it. We had to leave to go to church and when we got back and I let her out of her crate and into the livingroom, as I was cleaning the kitchen up, she ate the rest of her food!! I don't know if she's got a bit of a sore throat and stress also, but I do still plan to take her in to see the doc tomorrow. I'd rather be safe than sorry. She's my precious sweetheart, they all are, I just want her to be ok and healthy and here for many years to come.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello and sorry also for your loss, your boy sounds like he was loved through and through.

I was thinking do you think that your chi may just not be eating so fast as they don't need to keep up any more as they aren't eating with another dog?

I know it's not the same species, I run a guinea pig rescue and if we have a lone piggy they take a REALLY long time to eat their veggies yet the minute they are in with another pig they start to eat much quicker and the lot gets eaten up as quickly as they can.

Grief too of course

Hope your baby is back to themselves really quickly.

x

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Looks like Mags might be coming around, but I'm like you better safe than sorry for sure. Only wish they could talk:) Would make it so much easier.

Lori

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes it certainly would!! I'm so happy, she ate her whole bowl of food this evening to!! But her teeny tiny toosh is STILL going to the vet cause she doesn't get to scare me like this an get away with it, lol. I just wanna be safe. I didn't like the way she sounded this AM either, so I definately want doc to look her over.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi LisaJazzi,
No, I don't really think that's it. Mags is so teeny tiny that I won't dare let her around our big furkids unless I'm RIGHT THERE. One swat from their paws would literally break her back. I've never ever fed them together, meaning Mags and our big dogs, just would never take that kind of chance with her. We've had her since she was 5 weeks old and she had so many health problems when she came to us. I've always been so protective of her and just wasn't willing to put her in a situation like that where she could get seriously hurt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Dazy Mae and everyone else for the suggestions you've offered for Mags and for the condolences on the loss of our fur son Isaiah. I appreciate it more than I can say.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi LisaJazzi,
No, I don't really think that's it. Mags is so teeny tiny that I won't dare let her around our big furkids unless I'm RIGHT THERE. One swat from their paws would literally break her back. I've never ever fed them together, meaning Mags and our big dogs, just would never take that kind of chance with her. We've had her since she was 5 weeks old and she had so many health problems when she came to us. I've always been so protective of her and just wasn't willing to put her in a situation like that where she could get seriously hurt.
just a thought. I'm pleased shes eaten up all now and hope she carries on doing it for you. I know what you mean about being protective, I have a collie dog too and I can't ever leave them alone - I'm just too worried something could happen.
What were her heallth issues when she was tiny (if you don't mind my asking). Whatever they were you sound like you have done great things with her and I take my hat off to you. x

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just a thought. I'm pleased shes eaten up all now and hope she carries on doing it for you. I know what you mean about being protective, I have a collie dog too and I can't ever leave them alone - I'm just too worried something could happen.
What were her heallth issues when she was tiny (if you don't mind my asking). Whatever they were you sound like you have done great things with her and I take my hat off to you. x
LisaJazzi,
When Mags came to us, she was actually taken out of a home that had 26 dogs inside and 25 outside, don't know the conditions of that home as I never went there and never got to speak with the lady, a family member of mine brought Mags to me because the lady was going to put the whole litter down if she didn't find homes for them the day she found them (and Mags was 5 weeks old then, which is why we had ended up with her at such a young age.) My daughter ended up with Mags brother, but sadly, on Christmas, (just a few days after having them) Gibbs passed away in my hands, I just don't think he was strong enough to fight through everything that was wrong with him, our vet thought the same thing. Mags had 2 different kind of worms, I can't remember exactly which kind they were now either, it's been over 3 years now. She also had ear mites and yeast infections in both ears really bad, and also had demodex mites and was bald on top of her head, face and neck. She spend the first few months of her life on meds just to get her better and I had to feed her small portions every 2 hours for months by hand because she wouldn't eat on her own and she was at very high risk for hypoglycimia (sp). She only weighed 1 pound 2 ounces when she came to us, so tiny and helpless. Our vet said she's got a compromised immune system now and and will have for life because of the conditions she came from and how badly sick she was. It's 6:22 in the AM now, she's sitting here in my lap and I'm so scared. She woke me up with reverse sneezing very badly. I pinched her nostrils shut for a few seconds and she'd stop, but then she'd start right back up again. This went on for what seemed like forever. She's got some clear discharge from her nose and sounds and doesn't sound herself again this morning. I'm waiting for the vet to open so I can call and see if I can get her seen today. They open in half an hour. After I got her calmed down from the reverse sneezing, I tried to get her to eat her breakfast but she won't eat. Just so scared and worried about her right now. I'm trying to stay calm and not get her worked up and scared as well, but it stresses me out so bad when things aren't right with her. I just want her to be ok.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts