Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

Well Tequila is all of 3 months now and I was making really really excellent progress with her and the potty training ...

I've been using the puppy pads and she's been taking to them really well with minimal mistakes. Recently though (past 2 days) she's been going anywhere BUT the pad. I thought maybe I wasn't changing it enough, but she still won't go on it ... she's only been on it once today. Woke up this morning to find 6 pressies on the kitchen floor (2 of each) :(

Also, I've finally found a dry food that she likes (James Wellbeloved, an organic one from the UK). Thing is she won't eat it from her dish, only from my hand, I've tried just leaving it there and she won't eat it ... I don't want to starve her :? When I try to mix it in with the wet (Pedigree Pouches) she just weeds out what she wants.

Any advise on this????

Thanks!!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
hi

for a start is the dry food puppy food? I know the pedigree pouches arent I would definately try to get the pedigree puppy food tins and see if she will try that, also my 2 went through the phase of not eating out of their dishes but just out of hands I tried a little saucer and that worked as he didnt like the lip on the bowl he prefered the saucer and lily wouldnt eat out of a metal bowl but will out of a plastic one , what sort do you have ?

hope this helps

with the pad training its just perseverance and they go through times whjen they wont use it for a few days and then use it really well so just keep trying, do change them regular but not too often otherwise it wont have their scent on :wave:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

Both the dry and wet are for puppies specifically. I would never give her adult dog food, at least not yet.
Pedigree makes the pouches for puppies, adult and senior dogs. You get a wider range from Pets at Home, than say, Tescos.
She doesn't seem to like the tinned ones anymore ... I think she prefers something a bit chunkier.

She seems to be improving on the puppy pads, but the real test will be when I wake up tomorrow. :shock:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I found that If I let Moo run free he poos in my floor. What I do is keep him confined with a baby pen and take him out for breaks. I ONLY let him have free runs after I know he has done BOTH outside. Then I let him loose a couple hours for free play and then back in the pen for a bit.

He is doing well with this. The pen I have for him can go from a smaller square all the way out to like a big 10 across foot circle. he has never once gone INSIDE the pen!!!!!! he progressing well this way and little by little learning to not go inside. he has not gone inside now for weeks!!!!!!

Oh by the way. is 6 months old now and we just started this training last month. Before that I was trying the hard way by letting him have free roam and trying to catch him in the act for accidents. Using the pen has worked VERY well

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
You know, I've heard that some dogs try to 'test' their owners by regressing in potty-training. Bosco did this for maybe a week but now he is better than ever. Just stay consistent. If you have to, keep Tequila on a leash while in the house - that way she is never far from you and you are able to scoop her up if she starts sniffing around or squatting.

Regarding only eating food from your hand---she won't starve if you quit hand-feeding her. But if she really enjoys being hand-fed you could incorporate that into training...make her sit before you give her each piece of food!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tucker goes through these types of spells, too. Especially if I give him a bath. Then he acts like he has forgotten what the pads are for! I think he's getting back at me because he HATES baths. :x Anyway, we just keep pressing the issue, and it gets better again.

As far as breakfast goes, (and this is my fault I must admit), Tucker gets his dry puppy kibble hand fed to him----he won't touch it in the bowl. It's our morning routine: I get him up, sit on the floor with him and he plays in my lap until he realizes that he's about to bust from holding his wee-wee all night. Then he jumps off my lap and runs to his potty pad; then it's back into my lap for hand-fed breakfast. The rest of the day, he free-feeds from the bowl without a problem. :roll:

Hand feeding Tucker one meal also keeps him from being food-aggressive. I never have to contend with him growling at me any time he's eating and I touch his bowl. :)

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
my 2 went through the phase of not eating out of their dishes but just out of hands I tried a little saucer and that worked as he didnt like the lip on the bowl
Zeus was this way until he was about 4 months old.

As far as potty training goes, crate training really worked well for Zeus. Zeus is like clock work. He eats and 5-10 minutes later he has to go potty.
Now, when we aren't home (he's 9months old) he goes in the kitchen and when I come home he's sleeping in his crate since we keep the crate door open now.

Sweety - Is her urine dark or do you notice any blood in it? I noticed you said she was doing well then one morning you had 6 accidents. Was it urine? Definately keep an eye on it. One common symptom of UTI's is urinating frequently in different areas. Of course, she's a puppy and you're in the middle of house-breaking so that makes it much harder.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the help!!!
Well, when I woke up this morning, she did wee once off of the pad, but it was very close, so it's possible she may have missed.

NoahFL - Her wee seems fine. She only wee'ed 3 times and she had 3 poo's. That worried me more :?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Lots of times Tucker puts his front feet on the potty pad and then proceeds to go---which means it misses the pad, and usually runs up underneath it! UGH! But I don't count that as a miss, because in his little dogger mind, he was on the pad! :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
About the food thing I have to agree with Ozzys mom. Auugie eats his food out of a saucer instead of a bowl :roll: Alos I sometimes have to handfeed him one piece and then he will go to his saucer to eat. :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
joey didnt like her metal bowls so i got her tiny hamster/ginipig plastic bowls and she loves them

she is great on the pad....she only makes mistakes sometimes and poo on this one particular mat. but most of the time i have no worries

1 - 11 of 11 Posts