Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Godric came home today in one piece, I asked for some pain med but the nurse said she thinks he'll be alright. Not sure what that means, lets hope he's not hurting too much.

He's woozy and disoriented as expected but my BF finally got him settled down into his bed, he's not hep on sitting and he's in some pretty weird positions. He's dying to be part of the action around the house as we're busy getting ready for holiday i'm finding it hard to sit still but I know he'll follow me if I move.

Gretel is also anxious and doesn't understand why she can't rough-house him as she clearly missed him all day. Do you think I should crate him away from her? We're stern and not letting her get to him, and he's barked her off as of a second ago so hopefully he'll sleep soon!

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Glad he's home with you and that all went well. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Paula, I was a wreck today. Gretel too, we were LOOKING for things to do to pass the time, we ran out of them, hah.

So glad I don't have to go through that again anytime soon!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Heather, they said limit his food and water but he's famished, do you think he'd be okay with just a little bit of THK? He's very hungry, he rarely begs but he was dying for some ritz crackers earlier.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hey Heather, they said limit his food and water but he's famished, do you think he'd be okay with just a little bit of THK? He's very hungry, he rarely begs but he was dying for some ritz crackers earlier.
Yes, I think he should be okay, maybe start with 1/2 of his normal sized meals, then if he does okay (no barfing etc) after a while give him more. Sometimes the effects of the anesthesia can make them barfy.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So happy he's home and doing well! Brody was bouncing around like nothing happened. He had a long acting pain shot before he came home. The second day you could tell he was a little sore. He was moving slowly. That was OK as it kept him from being too wild and messing up his incision. By the 3rd day he was about back to normal.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah G is slow moving and very shaky. My OH is forcing me to let him do his own thing and just not bother him.

I'm noticing, i'm not sure if it's because he hasn't eaten much but he looks so thin, ha. Worried mother hen.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
you can feed him :) , i have always feed mine as soon as we get home , and they have all been fine .
i would crate him while he is groggy but i would probably let him out tomorrow :) .
all mine have looked a bit thin after desexing as well :) so wouldnt worry , a friend of mine has a scruffy little mixed breed when we went to pick her up after desexing she looked like another dog lol even he coat looked different .

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree with crating him in the room with everyone else. Keeping them quiet afterward is the hardest part of any surgery, especially when they get to feeling better. Glad he's home and on the mend!

Jeanette

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for your guidance. We had unexpected house guests last night that were, less than considerate of my boy so I ended up finishing up my projects and retiring to the bedroom with him to rest which he thoroughly enjoyed.

After the drunken-rowdiness left we did come back out and he slept with his sister all night snuggled in his bed, they didn't cry or even get up when we got up this morning.

He's definitely feeling better, and yes I fed him twice last night and that made him VERY happy :hello1:

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
So glad that is over with!! And so glad he's feeling a bit better (and got to have him nummy's). :) Feel 100% soon G!!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I'm sorry to bombard with questions, I called my vet earlier today and asked if it was normal for them to still be so groggy/down this long after the neuter and, of course the nurse gave me a generic answer.

Godric still isn't himself, he's very - for lack of better term he's just akward, he's been sleeping almost all day, i'm trying not to stress him out but i'm worried. He keeps shaking, like a cold shake? So i'm being mindful to keep him covered. He was also doing something earlier with his mouth, almost a chattering? He's sleeping now and isn't doing it, but i'm just worried and guess who's closed till Monday.

He did eat and poo this morning, and he got a little drink on his own, but is there anything else I can be doing or watching for?

Oh and he played with his sister this morning okay just a bit slow moving, I haven't been handling him too much as I just want him to rest. His "lipstick" has been coming out a lot which it never did before the neuter, just things i've noticed.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Cheryl, I was VERY worried about the little brat!

He was teeth chattering and acting like he had peanut butter in his mouth all day and sleeping excessively so I ended up calling the vet twice, and shortly before we departed to visit - out pops a tooth and the chatting quit entirely.

What a great time to scare me! He couldn't have waited a few days so I didn't think it was surgery related, of course! Mama's calm now at least.

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts