Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Claudia and i have a verry small chiwawa named Nikki (The one i have as a picture). She weight 3lbs so can you imagine how small it is!? ^^ i wanted to know if i can breed her with a 6lbs chiwawa because we love our little princess and we want to make sure that she'll be allright after giving birth!

i need a answer the sooner as possible, thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have never personally bred chihuahuas but I have been researching into this myself in case I do decide to breed my Prada. I am sure others with more experience can give you more information. I think Nikki must have an appropriate size, sufficient health and a good pelvic breadth so she can carry and deliver the puppies safely.
I have also heard that the stud dog should be smaller than the female to ensure she can carry the puppies safely (but don't take my word on that one, the breeder I got Gucci from was explaining it to me, she said the female should be around 4lbs and the stud should be smaller reduce the need for c-sections and other risks)
I would say you should try not to risk your little baby's health if there is no good reason for you to breed her

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Nikki is a very tiny little girl.. and such a cutie from the pic on you avatar..I welcome you both to the group here..It sounds like you have a lot of love for this chi-baby and I am sure she is a wonderful companion and family member..
In answer to your questions regarding breeding her, and only because you did ask for our thoughts.. please reconsider... I am by no means a breeder of chis (have raised only 2 chi litters over 20 years), but I have some dear friends who do breed chis. One if them recently lost a 4 pound mom and one of her 3 babies. There is always risk involved when these tiny ones give birth, and Nikki's life is worth more than any puppies she might produce. Please consider just loving and enjoying her for hopefully many years to come, and if you want to add to your chi family.. think about purchasing another pup. Blessing to you and Nikki.. Deb

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hi,

I would strongly advice not to breed her. With 3 pounds she is way too small and birth could be very complicated, she might would need a c-section, or could even die. I believe that you should only breed from a bitch who has at least 4.4 pounds, preferably more. And I think a 6 pounds boy would be way too big in the first place, as the puppies could get too big for her.

I would not risk my dogs life for the experience of puppies, and I also think that only registered breeders should breed puppies. Shelters are already full enough.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
welcome :) she is a cutie but i have to say i would 100percent not breed her at all , she is to tiny and you would be risking losing her , breeding her to a 6lb male would be off the cards if she were mine but than i wouldnt breed her at all .

i think Rocky is spot on with everything said :)

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Hello and Welcome, you have got some good advice here. She is darling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts