Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there....most of you will remember me as "mommasboy"....I was on here a year or so ago and there was a huge controversary over my dogs having their ears pierced...Now, I do NOT want to revisit that issue nor do I need to hear any further remarks on that subject...my dogs no longer have their ears pierced....they came to me that way...I did not do them myself nor would I ever do that!! Anyway, they are out now and that is in the past....

I do like this forum and have learned alot and had alot of questions answered on here so I would like to be able to come here for friendship and help if everyone is ok with that. I have 2 chis - Paris & Bruiser - ages 2 & 3. From the beginning they have been solely piddle pad trained. We have recently moved into our new home we built and I really want them going potty outside and not have to leave piddle pads down in my new house. I don't know where to begin...is it too late now to get them to potty outside? Any help would be appreciated...I want to start right away but I don't want to do anything to disturb them or cause them to start acting up. Thanks for any help you can offer. I will post pics of the puppies and the new house when I get a chance.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The only person I know in real life who used pads used them and moved them closer and closer to the door eventually having them outside the door and continued to move them slowly to the area in the yard they wanted them to use. I am not sure how others make the transition though.

If I suddenly had to care for a dog who was pad trained (for anything other than dog sitting) meaning if I was going to house a dog and change his habit, I would start at step 1 just as if I had gotten a new puppy and teach them how to go outside. Not real sure if this is how others do it, but that would be my approach. I don't think it is ever too late to teach a dog something. And I think you are fortunate in the fact that you are aware of the dogs you have habits and most likely know when they are going to go to the bathroom and you definitely know their signals. So I would see what others say, but if there aren't a lot of responses I would start over, taking the dogs outside to do their business & I always like to make sure they do their business where people who visit or play in the yard will not be walking or playing. Dodging Doggie Landmines is never fun ~ so I always take mine to the a corner of the yard that doesn't get people traffic.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
My girls are pad trained but if we take them outside they would potty out there.

Obviously, you would take them out shortly after eating. Otherwise, I think it is watching for the signs (some starting walking fast, some sniff on the ground, others walk in circles, etc.) and take them out. You may have to try to take them out a lot at first so they get the idea of it and you get used to the signs.

I would get set on certain words and always use those words to mean just this one activity. You could start to say "potty", "outside", "potty outside", etc. Whatever words you are comfortable using.

Our boy would come and dance around and if we asked if he wanted to go outside, he spun in circles. Made it easy to know what he wanted!!

I have a friend with a Westie who uses the bells on the door and that boy goes right over, rings the bells and she knows to take him out. Impressive!

I think that the secret is for you to be ultra vigilant (you'll be trained more than they at first!) and they will get it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi!
I would suggest you keep the pee pads for the time being, but also start taking them out to do their business several times a day. Are you around all day to take them out as much as needed?
I imagine that being dogs, they will be inclined to at least pee outside, but will figure out its ok to do the other business as well. You can reinforce with treats at the beginning maybe? But really I suggest keeping the pads down until they really get it. Besides, if you are taking them out often enough they will eventually not need to go indoors and as a result won't use the pads. At that point you can start removing them. First one, if you keep more that one down, then all during the day time, assuming they are not crated at night, then the night time one if it continues to go unused.
Hope this helps.

Vera

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
kimmmmmmm i have no advice just wanted to say hi lol!havent seen u here for a while. bte i dun care wha they say ur chis are awesome with their ears blingin ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts