Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone....sorry I haven't been on in a while. I had a very busy holiday with work and all. Dezi and I are doing well. She's grown and have become quite a brat! She's so hyper and bites a lot. I can't figure out why she likes to bit mine, my mom's, and my sister's hands. Still trying to enforce discipline on here using the time-out technique but its a very slow progression. She had her first series of vaccination a couple of weeks ago, also had her dewormed...yikes she had them in her stools but it seems to have disappeared now.

I have a few questions though, sometimes in the middle of the night Dezi would start to gag and cough like she's going to throw up something but she ends up just spitting out saliva. It's happened a few times before but only during the night, I can't figure out what this is. She wasn't nibbling or chewing anything that I can tell since she sleeps in bed with me under her own blanket. Also, her paw nails have grown! Her entire paw nails turned black so now I can't see what to trim off w/o cutting her. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks.

BTW, the vet recommended Eukanuba and gave me a sample to try on her. After a few meals on Eukanuba, Dezi's stomach was growling. It did this all night too. Her stool looked ok though. I reverted back to the Royal Canine stuff because her stomach doesn't react that way with it. Any suggestions on this?

·
Registered
211 Posts
alc252dm said:
Hello everyone....sorry I haven't been on in a while. I had a very busy holiday with work and all. Dezi and I are doing well. She's grown and have become quite a brat! She's so hyper and bites a lot. I can't figure out why she likes to bit mine, my mom's, and my sister's hands. Still trying to enforce discipline on here using the time-out technique but its a very slow progression. She had her first series of vaccination a couple of weeks ago, also had her dewormed...yikes she had them in her stools but it seems to have disappeared now.

Leo bite everybodys fingers too, so i would like to get some advise too, i have tried saying no in a very angry voice. I was told that time out was the way to do it, i have started to do that now, i hope i see some progress soon... :)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hi there and welcome back, I was wondering what happened to you and little Dezi! How is her hernia btw?
As for the gagging thing, Poppy did it too when we first got her and now she does it alot less, but always at night. I asked my vet and he said its a congenital thing that Chi's do because its something to do with their soft palate not being aligned properly, they have to do this gagging to breathe. I was freaked out by it, but he did say it would improve as she grew and it has. Hope that helped! :wave:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi :D,

Dezi is doing real good. I don't know if you can see my sig picture but compare that with the avatar and she's definitely grown! Her hernia is still there, and it might be too early still to say that she'll need surgery to correct it but the vet is keeping a close eye on her every time we visit for her vaccinations. As she's growing, the hernia has grown too but it doesn't seem to bother her even a bit. She can jump of the sofa and now she's constantly trying to jump up onto the sofa! She's just a ball of energy and doesn't seem to ever get tired of running and jumping around. If you haven't seen her latest pics, click on the link under my sig picture. I took those a few days ago.

Thanks for the input regarding her gagging condition. I was very concerned as well but now that I know its something she'll grow out of, I feel a lot better.

Camilla King said:
Hi there and welcome back, I was wondering what happened to you and little Dezi! How is her hernia btw?
As for the gagging thing, Poppy did it too when we first got her and now she does it alot less, but always at night. I asked my vet and he said its a congenital thing that Chi's do because its something to do with their soft palate not being aligned properly, they have to do this gagging to breathe. I was freaked out by it, but he did say it would improve as she grew and it has. Hope that helped! :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts