Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have had my puppy for five days and madly in love with that little guy. He is 5-month-old long-haired Chihuahua we named Calvin.

I have had dogs before, they have been much larger. I had a great big golden doodle and a miniature poodle mix. I used to think of the poodle as a tiny dog, but he was 3 times Calvin’s size.

I went for tiny this time because my mobility is now limited by arthritis. Now that I have Calvin, I am starting to realize that dogs this small have special requirements (like watching their blood sugar). I joined the forum in part to make sure I am on top of all of that.

Calvin is great - he sleeps through the night without a peep in his ‘crate’ (formerly our cat carrier). He never barks, is respectful of the cats, and after a few moments of assessing a situation is very outgoing.

The only concern I have comes from that bravery. He has tried a number of times to jump off the couch and from our arms, and succeeded twice - thankfully from the lower couch we have. No permanent damage, but we are very afraid for him. I would love to let him sleep with us, but I am terrified that he will see another family member coming up the stairs and take a flying leap off the bed. Do these guys get smarter about heights as they get older? Is it a teachable thing?

Looking forward to getting to know this forum!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Hi!. I know I'm late to the party, but what I use is doggie stairs. My Billy is all body and tiny little legs, so he won't jump off anything. and most of my dogs can't jump on the bed. So, a sturdy set of doggie stairs at the couch and bed will save him from hurting himself. And you only have to watch their blood sugar when they are a young puppy. As they get older, it's not a problem. And I had two tinies, one 2 pounds 11 oz, one 2 pounds 1 oz. and I never had any problems. I free feed, so food is always available. As long as they can eat, they will be fine. It's only the super tinies you really have to worry about. At 5 months, your baby should be fine! I'd love to see a picture!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes they do i have had my rambo for a year now and omg let tell you he loves to jump off anything......you just have to put your foot down and tell him no.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I have quite a system for the dog to get to her bed at the end of mine. It is on my Mom's chest. First I have doggie steps (3) for her to jump onto the chair, and from the chair to the bed! 3 steps. She seems to do it fine for now at 10 yrs, but I'll watch and see when she seems to need help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts