Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a Chihuahua soon.

I had a Chihuahua/Dachshund mix for 14 years. His name was Kirby, and I had him from the age of 10 until I was 24. Because he was an adult when we got him, presumably around 3 or 4, he was nearly 18 when he passed.

Of course before he left me, I had been expecting it and had built up a wall to protect myself mentally. After it had been done, I spent about three days crying and sniffling and then put it behind me for a while. That was, until last year, when I started thinking of him a lot and started getting depressed again, a lot more than I had been when he first passed. I think at that point his being gone had suddenly all sank in.

Sorry about the depressing stuff. Moving on to the point: Because Kirby was more like a Chi than a Doxie, and I always loved his personality...I started wanting another Chi, a purebred. After bugging my boyfriend (whom I live with) for a while, he finally agreed that getting another dog wouldn't be a bad thing.

I currently have two other dogs, a Jack Russell Terrier (about 20lbs) and a Lab/Hound mix (about 50lbs). They both grew up around Kirby so I'm not worried that they would hurt a fullgrown Chi (they were always gentle with him), but as I've never owned a puppy that small, how delicate are they? They seem pretty delicate but I wanted to ask to be sure.

Also, I have some other questions.

1) I know small breed dogs have small bladders and can be harder to housetrain. For housetraining, would you recommend crate training or pad training? Or perhaps a mix of both? I plan on getting a puppy pen and setting it up with a crate and puppy pads when we're not around.
2) Do you recommend dry food, wet food, or a mix of both? I have a bag of Pro Plan Selects Puppy (I know - already bought the food!) and plan on getting Cesar Puppy, since I know it's high in calories for small breeds.
3) Do you free feed, or feed at certain times of the day?
4) Concerning hypoglycemia: I already plan on buying Nutri-Cal for puppies. I also have honey on hand all the time. Should I keep anything else on hand? Is Pedialyte recommended? (We use this at the kennel where I work if a dog begins acting lethargic)
5) As for the Nutri-Cal, should I add it to the food daily, or should I keep it just in case of hypoglycemia?

Sorry if these questions all seem obvious. I don't plan on getting a puppy until after the holidays so I have plenty of time to research. I'm just so anxious about bringing another dog into my home :)

Thanks in advance for any advice/greetings!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi suz

Welcome to the forum sorry about your loss. Chi puppies are delicate, they come in all different shaoes and sizes but on average at 12 weeks (which is when the breeder should let you have one not before) they are around 2ish pounds typically a 2lb puppy at 12 weeks will be a 5lb adult obviously they come bigger than that and smaller I wouldn't recommend leaving them in supervised with your other dogs.

I don't do pad training I think it teaches the dog it's ok to pee in the house some people swear by it an love it I don't anyway both mine go outside and always have done I crate train, my oldest just has her crate at night my youngest is only 4 months so is still being toilet trained I've only had a handful of accidents with both mine

Food wise please head over to our nutrition section I feed prey model raw a I believe ts the best for my dogs I would recommend ziwipeak though as it's a 6 star food

If you look at dogfoodanalysis.com you can look at dogs foods ratings cesar isn't v good quality I wouldn't feed it and I've never heard of the other.

When you start looking please look for a reputable breeder we will happily help you here

Good luck
Sarah

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I tried Ceasar with my Chi & it made her very sick because it's loaded with greasy fat. Vet said Bad food. Being you have two other dogs, I don't think I would free feed as this causes them to gobble up food so the others can't get it. There is a lot of good food options in this forum. Read through all of them & make your decision based on what you can do & what's best for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the warm welcome and advice! I will certainly take everything to heart.

I have decided to skip the puppy pen/pad training and just go straight to crate training. Both of my current dogs are crate trained, so it will just be easier for me to stick with that.

Re: Cesar puppy food and high quality diets. I will be somewhat blunt and honest here, but please don't take it as me being rude. It's just me sharing my personal experience, so here goes.

For about 8 years now (roughly around the time of getting my JRT) I've fed premium dog foods, including such brands as EVO, Call of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, Wellness, California Natural, and so on. I've always given each food at least several months; I haven't just changed rapidly from one to the other.

At one point when I was out of work a couple of years ago, we briefly had to feed Purina just to stay afloat. When you're poor a $30 bag of dog food is much better than a $60 bag any day.

Well, they ate Purina for a few months, and absolutely nothing happened or changed. Their coats didn't become greasy, their poop wasn't runny, they didn't gain weight... everything was the same, and the food was much, much cheaper.

I've met dogs who are fed bottom of the barrel (Kibbles n' Bits or Old Roy) and their coats are glossy and soft, and they appear healthy. I would never go so low as to feed either one of those brands, but I'm just saying.

I'm not saying premium brands are bad or not worth it, either. In a lot of instances they do improve the health of the dog. But I'm also saying that maybe not all grocery store brands are bad... especially if your dog is already healthy and well cared for.

Also, if you look at Cesar's Puppy ingredients (the light purple package), there's no corn, wheat or soy. There are by-products, yes, but on the subject of raw feeding (which I have also researched)... many raw feeders do feed things like organs, some even feed the whole prey. (I myself had considered feeding my dogs leftover frozen mice when I got rid of my snake). So I don't see how by-products are bad as long as their origin is identified.

I have the puppy Pro Plan Selects (it's Pro Plan, but a little better quality than regular PP). I only plan on feeding a small amount of Cesar a day. My boss breeds and shows Tibetan Spaniels and she feeds Cesar to her puppies. To her adults, she feeds Pro Plan and canned Purina. And her dogs are some of the most beautiful dogs you'd ever meet.

I'm sorry that this sounded like a rant, but really, it is just me venting about my personal experiences. I don't think people should feed their dogs crap, I just think people should be educated about dog food to make their own decision, like I did with the Cesar and Pro Plan. :)

Again, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
1) I know small breed dogs have small bladders and can be harder to housetrain. For housetraining, would you recommend crate training or pad training? Or perhaps a mix of both? I plan on getting a puppy pen and setting it up with a crate and puppy pads when we're not around.

My 2 little dogs are potty pad trained. Zoey is on Steroids and has to pee quite often so we have various potty pads around the house for them to use.
2) Do you recommend dry food, wet food, or a mix of both? I have a bag of Pro Plan Selects Puppy (I know - already bought the food!) and plan on getting Cesar Puppy, since I know it's high in calories for small breeds.

Pro Plan Selects may look like an 'okay' food however it has Menadione Sodium (Vit K) in it which is known to cause problems. The Dog Food Project - Menadione (Vitamin K3)

Cesar puppy food has 'unspecified' meat by products, did you know that could be euthanized dogs or cats? Roadkill?

I would encourage you to check out the Raw feeding section, it has done WONDERS for Zoey, she had horrible allergies that has cleared her up. My friend who shows shih tzu's and pekes was feeding Blue Buffalo but decided to try Proplan Selects to save $$$, and her dogs coats are got duller and they pooped about 20 more times a day (as she put it), so she switched them back, she said it wasn't worth the savings.

3) Do you free feed, or feed at certain times of the day? I feed twice a day. Free feeding causes picky eating, and with puppies who are prone to hypoglycemia it's hard to know when they last ate.

4) Concerning hypoglycemia: I already plan on buying Nutri-Cal for puppies. I also have honey on hand all the time. Should I keep anything else on hand? Is Pedialyte recommended? (We use this at the kennel where I work if a dog begins acting lethargic)

I keep Nutrical and Karo Syrup on hand, Pedialyte is always good to have, I gave it to Zoey this past week when she was vomiting/diarrhea from a bad carrot she had eaten.

5) As for the Nutri-Cal, should I add it to the food daily, or should I keep it just in case of hypoglycemia?

I gave it to Zoey when I first got her as part of her meals, but now I just keep it on hand. She was very tiny and wasn't a very good eater at first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you. If anything appears off when I get my pup, I'll just chuck the food. My dogs are currently on PPS without any problems. I'm just going to play it by ear for now.

As for Eukanuba - yuck! I fed canned to my JRT once as a puppy (this was before I began researching dog food). It smelled like vomit the moment I opened it. I checked the date on the can and it wasn't out of date. So against better judgment I fed it to her - within an hour she had hacked every bit of it up and the smell was ten times worse. Never again, to Eukanuba OR Iams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts