Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Ivyann and I signed up to find some info out so I thought I'd make an intro post.
I'm 21, I like reading, knitting, video games, and of course animals! I love law, I plan to be a paralegal in family law.
Olive is my puppy, shes half Chihuahua and half Pomeranian. (A pomchi!)
Shes only 4 months old but shes had quite a story!

(Feel free to skip to the TL;DR)
Early December my mother tells me her boss' Chi accidentally got pregnant by their Pom. (Her teenage daughter thought it would be funny to see their puppies.)
She told me we could have pick of the litter and they were due any day.
On the morning of the 11th, we get a call from the boss. Shes at work and her daughter called screaming.
We rush down there and the scene is downright gross. There is feces smeared all over the floor, a tiny puppy also on the floor, and the Chi on the bed with a puppy sticking out of her, feet first.
I scoop up the puppy on the floor and start warming him up, trying to get him to cry, and my mom rushes over to the mom. The puppy is completely dry and very stuck. Her tail, hips and leg are out, but her belly is stuck inside.
The mom dog was biting like crazy. So my mom gets the only thing the teenager could help her find, vegetable oil, rubs it on her hands and on the puppies feet. The teenager holds down the momma dog and my mom starts to pull on the puppies lower half.
The puppy comes lose but is not breathing, we thought she was dead. I grab her, shes taking short labored breaths through her mouth.
Of course this house doesn't have an aspirator. (The little blue sucky thing to get liquid out of the throat. People use them for stuffy noses)
So my mom leaves her with me and leaves to go buy one from the closest store.
I've got the puppy in my hands, shes so small, so I put my thumb between her shoulder blades and rub and rub like crazy, chanting "come on puppy breath for me".
The teenager is crying, but at least the first puppy is feeding from mom.
A few minutes before my mom comes back she coughs and starts crying. Her nose starts draining and so I hand her to her mom, and she immediately starts eating.
She had a huge belly. The teenager said the night before the mom ate 3 hot dogs. The dog is only 5 pounds! And pregnant. They practically only fed her spaghetti and hot dogs...
So we leave, assuming things are okay.
I decided to take the puppy that was stuck, and named her Olive. She was all black with a white stripe. (Shes gotten a lot more white since) They named her brother Big Mac.
We visit a few times to see how things are. And they are bad. The room the puppies are in is still a mess, and they have no whelping box. Just a dog bed on the floor. And the teenager wont let the puppies stay with mom. Shes constantly holding them and playing with them, at only a few days old!
So two weeks pass and we get a call on Christmas. My moms boss says "Something is wrong with your puppy. Her tail looks like a rotten cherry stem."
So the whole family rushes down there, and sure enough, her tail is rotten and black.(Blacker? It was naturally black)
She had opened her eyes the day before, and shes already something is wrong.
As is turns out, the teenager wanted the puppies to sleep with her. So she set the dog bed on her bed, which was about 2-3 feet off the ground.
The teenager left to hang out with friends, and Olive rolled off the bed.
She comes back to find her laying on the ground under the bed, and when she tries to grab her the momma dog bites at the puppy, breaking her tail.
On the 26th, so the next day after finding this out, we take her to the vet. Who tells us that the tail is pretty much dead and will need to be amputated. But since shes just past 10 days old (15 at the time), they can't just dock it. The vet decides to put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks and amputate at 4 weeks when its safer.
So for a week and a half we went down every night to give Olive her medicine. Through our visits, we found things were worse and worse. The teenager was smoking a lot of pot in the room with the puppies and mom, and the room was always very cold. They were still feeding the mom a lot of human food and really low quality dog food. And when the puppies started crawling, Big Mac tried to crawl under some dirty clothing and almost got stomped on. Besides that, the teenager was STILL over-handling the puppies. They spent little to no time with mom outside of eating, and slept on her chest night rather than with mom.
We tell this to the vet, and she tells us to take Olive away at 3 1/2 weeks. Which we do, but she wont take a bottle. So she was weened very early, which the vet said was fine.
I spent all my time taking care of her. I took away my bed frame to just be a mattress on the floor, and she had a box on the floor next to my bed. She couldn't get out of it. I set up a heater, kept the room warm and only slept for 30 minutes at a time to make sure I could check on her.
Things got better though. The night before her surgery, part of her tail fell off. When we got to the vet the next morning, she said the amputation was no longer needed. The antibiotics and better food helped her fight off the necropsy and because part of it fell off, everything was going to be fine.
So now, at 4 months old, Olive is 4 pounds, almost as big as her mom. She has a bald spot on her tail, but its not too noticeable. The vet suggested we still amputate more of her tail when she gets spayed, "cosmetically". But I'm not doing that just for looks. Her tail curls onto her back, but doesn't touch and is about an inch shorter than her brothers.
Shes happy, healthy, and perfect to me. Of course she has problems because of what happened. She has separation anxiety and likes to suckle on fingers when shes sleepy, but we can work on the anxiety and who cares if she sucks on stuff sometimes?
I love her, shes so special to me.

TL;DR Olive was born feet first and thats why everyone in the house calls her "butt face".

I've never had a small dog like this before. The last dog we had as a family was a 110lb lab, and the dog before that was a 25lb poodle.
This is the smallest dog I've ever been around, I'm so nervous and protective about her. But I think I'm doing good. Shes going to a better vet, and he says shes perfect.
Sorry about the wall of text, but she and her story are very important to me and make a good intro post I think!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. That's an amazing story you've told, Olive is very lucky to have you caring for her. I feel sorry for the other little pup and their mum if they are still in the other crazy household.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Olive is a survivor and you are an angel...as I have found out over the years, the roles reverse. You both have many wonderful years to come. Thanks for sharing your story!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Lisa
The mom went to a new home, but her brother is still there. I feel bad too. Hes food aggressive, snappy, and hates people. :c

@Chiluv
:3 Thank you! Haha there will be tons of updates for sure.

@Motherdear
Thanks! I think shes happy she left that chaos too.

@Debra
Shes already done so much for me and shes only a puppy. I know she'll give me back 1000 times what I put in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you!
I'm very passionate about animal laws/abuse laws and the like, the only thing is...Its so hard. I live in washington, which has really bad laws already. And the difference between working with kids and working with pets, is if your trying to represent a pet, the poor thing is already really hurt and most of the time won't get better, or is already dead. A kid can be rehabilitated a lot better than most animals.
I might try and change the laws, but I don't think I have the heart to see all the sad animals being hurt and trying to represent them.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
she is precious!!! poor baby had a rough start but something tells me the rest of her life will be easy as pie!

Those people should have all thier dogs taken and rehomed with people who can care properly for them. just sayin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts