Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well. I joined this site because I have my first chihuahua and I am trying to potty train her and it's not going well. First, in my area, it's to cold for her to go outside for long periods of time and so for now (I know getting her to go outside when it's warmer will be harder this way) I am trying to train her to go in the bathroom for easy clean up. The problem is, she spends the whole time screaming bloody murder rather than going to the bathroom. Even if I stay in there with her her, she just wants to sit on my lap or cry the whole time. Can anyone help? I'm going to try posting this in another forum as well.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Are you trying to get her to go just on the bathroom floor? Potty Pads? Litter? Be careful how you train them as they can get confused easily. I am 're' potty training my girls now to use a litter box instead of pads as they think anything soft & absorbant is a potty place. Hard as it may be you need to ingnore her screaming/barking crying and just let her be, if you coddle her when she's crying that teaches her that she can cry and get what she wants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the forum. Are you trying to get her to go just on the bathroom floor? Potty Pads? Litter? Be careful how you train them as they can get confused easily. I am 're' potty training my girls now to use a litter box instead of pads as they think anything soft & absorbant is a potty place. Hard as it may be you need to ingnore her screaming/barking crying and just let her be, if you coddle her when she's crying that teaches her that she can cry and get what she wants.
First: Thanks everyone!

Second: Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. We've never owned a tiny dog like this and have never been in this situation before, so I wasn't sure if it was ok to have her in there for so long. We have a gate up though and to be honest, for a few complicated and private reasons, the dog actually belongs to my my mom but Trixi has to stay with my brother and I for a while. My mom comes over every other day to see her but she hasn't had her long enough to potty train her either.

My brother and I weren't ready to have a tiny dog in our house but we're going to Walmart today and I like the litter box idea, so we're going get everything. Thank you again.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hello and welcome. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts